Absolute nonsense from the MPAA!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin_S, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

The MPAA has always annoyed me quite a bit in several different ways, but now they have gone and done something that is absolutely ridiculous! Check out this link: http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=612
    Talk about bullshit! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] That poster is bloody awesome, and is one of the best poster designs I've seen in a while. The MPAA is out of line here!
    By the way, for a review of MAY, which I'm sure will be excellent, check out this link: http://www.joblo.com/arrow/may.htm

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

That is a rather striking poster. Too bad the MPAA didn't see it that way. But don't worry, I'm sure it'll be replaced by some cool Scream-esque poster...

3. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Can't say that it does anything for me, but I don't see what the problem is.

And here I thought this was going to be about Clooney's butt shots in Solaris. (Having seen the film, it makes me wonder what the MPAA was thinking when they originally rated it R. Unbelievable, really.)

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Pardon my french, but the MPAA has no balls. Their is absolutly nothing wrong with that poster! 10 bucks says the new poster will feature the hot young cast's mugs gathered around a knife, mask, or some other major symbol from the film. [​IMG]

5. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I am truly puzzled. What could be the objection to that poster? It's creepy, but not bloody or overly graphic.
    I'm personally much more offended that the entire U.S. film industry feels it must bend to the every demand of one clueless individual (Jack Valenti) and his band of "moral guardians". [​IMG]

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

A bit creepy, but not over-the-line. I hate scary/bloody movies, not because I think they're bad, but I'm pretty sure that I'd have nightmares if I saw them. [​IMG]

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Okay ... WHY does the MPAA have a say over how the individual studios advertise their movies?! That's something that should strictly be under the umbrella of each individual studio.

8. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

The sad fact of the matter is that, from what I understand, the MPAA operates under a totally subjective viewpoint. What I mean is that I don't believe that they have a set criteria which equals "PG" or "R", or any other classification. They just go with what they feel like at the time. While I do think a certain amount of wiggle-room should be allowed in judging a movie based on it's context (example: a female topless scene in American Pie has a much different context than the CPR scene from The Abyss), I also think that it can allow for classification that borders on censorship.
    If anyone has better info on MPAA guidelines, please correct me, but this is what I've always heard.

9. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Oh Valenti, if I said what I truly think about you and your gang I'd probably be banned from here.
    That's a beautiful poster. It's creepy, but tasteful. I love it. But hey, I'm sure the "cast faces staring at the camera" replacmeent art will be just peachy [​IMG]
    Maybe this piece can be saved for the DVD release?

10. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Well as far as nudity goes, IIRC a womens breast or buttucks may be shown in a PG-13 movie as long as they are not touched in a sexual manner. Like in say Titanic, when he is drawing the picture her breats are not being groped at all, but when they go into the carriage to have sex they don't show anything. Thus, avoiding the R rating and now 15 yr old boys have no excuse for not taking their girlfriends to a 3 hour long bore-fest. Trust me I was that 15 year old boy.

11. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Maybe Buddy Lee wasn't going to get any royalties for use of his image, so pressured the MPAA to lock it down. [​IMG]

12. CharlyD

CharlyD Extra

I didn't think the MPAA had any say over movie posters..

13. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    the poster is creepy but not scary, my guess is that it was banned because the rightside of the head looks to be an infant's head, therefore the picture is advocating child abuse or something.
    I can't believe this poster is not allowed, but that poster for Jason Goes To Hell is allowed, that's a poster that freaked me out when I was 11, and most of the other kids I knew as well. [​IMG]
    Adam

14. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

MPAA [​IMG]

15. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

16. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

How about the line "There are no good whores"? Maybe that's another bit that annoyed MPAA? Only why is there an "L" instead of "R" there...

17. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

18. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

19. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

20. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer