What's new

Absolute nonsense from the MPAA!!!! (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
The MPAA has always annoyed me quite a bit in several different ways, but now they have gone and done something that is absolutely ridiculous! Check out this link: http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=612
Talk about bullshit! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: That poster is bloody awesome, and is one of the best poster designs I've seen in a while. The MPAA is out of line here!
By the way, for a review of MAY, which I'm sure will be excellent, check out this link: http://www.joblo.com/arrow/may.htm

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
That is a rather striking poster. Too bad the MPAA didn't see it that way. But don't worry, I'm sure it'll be replaced by some cool Scream-esque poster...

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Can't say that it does anything for me, but I don't see what the problem is.

And here I thought this was going to be about Clooney's butt shots in Solaris. (Having seen the film, it makes me wonder what the MPAA was thinking when they originally rated it R. Unbelievable, really.)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Pardon my french, but the MPAA has no balls. Their is absolutly nothing wrong with that poster! 10 bucks says the new poster will feature the hot young cast's mugs gathered around a knife, mask, or some other major symbol from the film. :rolleyes

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I am truly puzzled. What could be the objection to that poster? It's creepy, but not bloody or overly graphic.
I'm personally much more offended that the entire U.S. film industry feels it must bend to the every demand of one clueless individual (Jack Valenti) and his band of "moral guardians". :frowning:

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
A bit creepy, but not over-the-line. I hate scary/bloody movies, not because I think they're bad, but I'm pretty sure that I'd have nightmares if I saw them. :)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Okay ... WHY does the MPAA have a say over how the individual studios advertise their movies?! That's something that should strictly be under the umbrella of each individual studio.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
The sad fact of the matter is that, from what I understand, the MPAA operates under a totally subjective viewpoint. What I mean is that I don't believe that they have a set criteria which equals "PG" or "R", or any other classification. They just go with what they feel like at the time. While I do think a certain amount of wiggle-room should be allowed in judging a movie based on it's context (example: a female topless scene in American Pie has a much different context than the CPR scene from The Abyss), I also think that it can allow for classification that borders on censorship.
If anyone has better info on MPAA guidelines, please correct me, but this is what I've always heard.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Oh Valenti, if I said what I truly think about you and your gang I'd probably be banned from here.
That's a beautiful poster. It's creepy, but tasteful. I love it. But hey, I'm sure the "cast faces staring at the camera" replacmeent art will be just peachy :rolleyes
Maybe this piece can be saved for the DVD release?

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Well as far as nudity goes, IIRC a womens breast or buttucks may be shown in a PG-13 movie as long as they are not touched in a sexual manner. Like in say Titanic, when he is drawing the picture her breats are not being groped at all, but when they go into the carriage to have sex they don't show anything. Thus, avoiding the R rating and now 15 yr old boys have no excuse for not taking their girlfriends to a 3 hour long bore-fest. Trust me I was that 15 year old boy.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Maybe Buddy Lee wasn't going to get any royalties for use of his image, so pressured the MPAA to lock it down. :)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
the poster is creepy but not scary, my guess is that it was banned because the rightside of the head looks to be an infant's head, therefore the picture is advocating child abuse or something.
I can't believe this poster is not allowed, but that poster for Jason Goes To Hell is allowed, that's a poster that freaked me out when I was 11, and most of the other kids I knew as well. :D
Adam

LennyP

Supporting Actor
How about the line "There are no good whores"? Maybe that's another bit that annoyed MPAA? Only why is there an "L" instead of "R" there...

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I didn't think the MPAA had any say over movie posters..
From the MPAA website:

"Film advertising is part of the film industry's self-regulatory mechanism. All advertising for rated motion pictures must be submitted to the Advertising Administration for approval prior to its release to the public. This includes, but is not limited to, print ads, radio and TV spots, pressbooks, videocassette packaging and theatrical and home video trailers."

DJ

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
If I remember correctly, even a film's video packaging and advertising materials must meet with MPAA standards if it is to carry an MPAA rating.
so what if they decided to get rid of the rating and just have it be unrated? could they show the poster then?

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
If they decide to release it unrated, I imagine they could put anything on the box they pleased.
Are we talking about displaying the poster in a movie theater, or are we talking about a DVD release?

I have mixed feelings about this. I like the original poster. But, as a father, I don't know that it is really something that I would want my very young daughter exposed to, while taking her to the theater to see a "G" rated movie.

At the same time, I am completely against censorship, so it really does become a fine line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks