What's new

Aaaaaaaaargh.... The Sleepless DVD from Artisan is full frame! (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I love Argento, and have been dying to see this film forever now, so I was really looking forward to Artisan's release of it. But I viewed the back of the box cover over at DVDEmpire and the DVD is freakin full frame!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: I am sooooooo angry right now that I can't stand it! What is Artisan thinking for crying out loud?! This just isn't right! Also, just to let you know, the commentary that was supposed to be included is nowhere to be found. Artisan has REALLY dropped the ball! First Cujo, then Ginger Snaps, and now Sleepless! Aaaaaargh! :angry: :thumbsdown:

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
[rant]MOTHER FUCKER!
I will still be buying this title (MARed or not, this is the only way to see this film if you don't have a region free player with PAL -> NTSC), but I will be praying to god that this is an open matte transfer (like Ginger Snaps... but considering it's an Argento film, I think it'll be pan & scan). If it is indeed a pan & scan transfer, I'm going to kicking the dipshit at Artisan's ass who is letting this title be full frame.
Whoever thought the DVD company that released such great DVDs like Terminator 2: UE, Blair Witch Project: Special Edition, The Stand: Special Edition, and many others could fuck up big time in the past few months?[/rant]

(Ooooh. The rant function makes my rant bold and italic. I like it! :))

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Justin,

You said you 'viewed the box' , could this be a misprint?

or did you check the movie as well?

becuase, Laser's Edge says IT IS 16x9 5.1(but that could be a misprint too)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
DARIO ARGENTO'S SLEEPLESS

New Film From Director Dario Argento - The Renowned Master of Horror!

Nominated by Italian National Syndicate of Film Journalists for 2001 Silver Ribbon Award

* Direct to Video Premiere

* 60 Day PPV Holdback / 6 Month cable Holdback

* Platinum Choice Program: Purchase for less than $30 per unit.

* Starring: Max Von Sydow (The Exorcist)

* Street Date: December 18, 2001

* Pre-Order Date: November 20, 2001

* Rating: Pending

* Pricing: VHS - Rental, DVD - $24.98 (SRP)

* Running Time: 117 minutes

* Catalog Number: VHS Rental: 12391, Spanish VHS: 12402, DVD: 12404

* Trailered on The Item, Prince of Darkness and U.S. SEALS 2

* Film Synopsis:

Renowned horror master Dario Argento returns with yet another horrifying tale of terror and murder! After seventeen years it starts again, a series of chilling slaying with the same M.O. as a serial killer long thought dead brings fear and panic to a city. More and more victims are found, but the clues don't add up. A seasoned investigator who was once on the case (Max Von Sydow) is called upon again to join forces with the son of a victim to search for the truth.

* Special DVD Features Include:

Digitally mastered widescreen version, 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround audio, 2.0 Dolby Stereo sound, director commentary, photo gallery, cast & crew biographies, optional English & Spanish subtitles, English closed captions, trailer, trailer gallery, scene access and interactive motion menus (subject to change)
That above is the press release for the title (I remembered the press release said it would be in widescreen). I'm hoping that....

A) The box has a misprint, it's happened before.

B) DVD Empire didn't get the final cover art and that was just a work in progress... it's happened before.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I couldn't have checked the movie because I don't have it, but yeah I saw the box. I am majorly hoping that it is a misprint or something like that. If it is a misprint, it'll make me very relieved and happy!

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I'm with everyone on this one I really hope this is a misprint. It would definitely be worthy of a match of Roshambo with the Artisan execs if this one gets Pan & Scamed.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Eh, screw Artisan anyway. They wouldn't pay to get Roger Avary's commentary on the Killing Zoe disc. Great transfer, but I really wanted to hear Roger's commentary. If they mess up Sleepless, that's the final nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
You would think if a director was a true lover of DVD he would be willing to sit down for 2 hours and do a commentary

track for free. It's Roger Avary for pete's sake, not Scorcese, Lucas, or Coppola. I doubt his plate is THAT full. I wouldn't judge Artisan for something like that, actually I would praise them for not bending to his demands when despite how good the film is you know it's not gonna be a HUGE seller for them. It's called making sure you have a return on your investement.

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
"You would think if a director was a true lover of DVD he would be willing to sit down for 2 hours and do a commentary track for free..."

...yeah, sure!... and pigs fly...

(signed) Passing Cynic

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Nick, I don't think you understand. Roger Avary had the commentary all recorded and ready to go. It's not at all that his plate was full. As for doing it for free, why should he? Because we have to suffer for our art? Please. Also, producer Samuel Hadida had other extras planned. Artisan didn't foot the bill for the rights for the commentary or the extras, nor did they care to go with the director's cut. They screwed fans of KZ, not Avary and Hadida.
click to go to Roger's site

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Actually Nick, the more I think about this, the more I recall that it was a problem with getting the deal with the director's cut done. I'd bet that this is the cut Avary did the commentary for, and when they couldn't get the deal done on the cut, Avary probably held the commentary for a future release. More than likely the commentary was a victim of the failed director's cut deal. Anyway, it was something screwy like that.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Everybody calm down.

Artisan is notorious for printing absurdities on their packaging aspect ratio specifications (I think it must be one guy doing it). The box of STIR OF ECHOES says the film is in "16:9 Fullscreen Version", yet the movie is presented in your regular anamorphic widescreen.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to SLEEPLESS.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Just remember. Artisan released Ginger Snaps full frame and the box says it is in it's correct aspect ratio.

I was going to pre-order it yesterday... but will wait.. don't trust those bastards.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Looks like it's time to get the Italian DVD.....if it has English subtitles. Artisan can take a flying leap.

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
"Looks like it's time to get the Italian DVD.....if it has English subtitles."
...ahh... it doesn't... but it has an English DD 5.1 soundtrack (see my post above)...
. . . . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks