What's new

Aaaaaaaaargh.... The Sleepless DVD from Artisan is full frame! (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I must be naive, as I wasn't aware that studios had to shell out so much just for a commentary...I just read a rumor that Artisan paid Ahnuld 75 grand for the Total Recall commentary, which really should just be listed as a descriptive track for the blind, as all he does is say everything that is happening in the film as it happens.

Since when is sitting down to record a commentary track "suffering" for your art? I would put it under the category of "a nice gesture for the fans". Then again, maybe he was fed up with dealing with Artisan.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Well, a guy over at DVDmaniacs got an early copy, and sure enough its fucking full frame!!:angry: Sorry about the profanity, but I am madder than hell about this!

Christian R

Agent
It's full frame AND IT'S NOT AN OPEN MATTE EITHER!!!! So you're REALLY losing out here!!! Sorry...no sale here. Guess Europe gets more money from me with R2...Damnn!!!

Stephen A

Agent
There has been some false info about the Italian R2 DVD in this thread.

I have that DVD and it includes in the way of audio:

Italian DD 5.1

Italian DTS 5.1

English DD 5.1

English and Italian subs.

Video is 1.77:1, 16:9 enhanced.

Video and audio quality is very good.

Having compared the Italian soundtrack to the English dub, I have to say that the Italian track is much better. First the English speaking actors sound way stupid and the movie works alot better in Italian with English subs. Then the sound mixes are very diffrent. The Italian soundmix is way better, more dynamic, more powerfull bass, alot more surround activity and split surround effects. The English mix sound wimpy in comparison.

Then when comparing the Italian DD5 5.1 to the DTS 5.1, it gets even more fun in DTS. But the diffrence is not as big as between the English and Italian soundtracks.

The best way of watching this movie is with Italian DTS and English subs. So I really recommend the Italian R2 DVD.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I just cancelled my pre-order at Deep Discount DVD. I got X-Mas gifts to buy people and I can get more now that I have an extra $20.

If I want to see the film, I'll either rent it or buy it when Artisan lowers the SRP to $10 (which should take a few months).

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
"English speaking actors sound way stupid"

What including Max Von Sydow, IMO if English is your language and you want to listen to the star of the film who is also a brilliant actor and whose voice is a significant part of his performance, that you would be better listening to the English 5.1 with subs off.

By the way the Italian (Medusa)region 2 disc is great including fantastic menu artwork designed by his daughter Asia

Also Medusa have just released Dellamorte Dellamore with fabulous 1:85 anamorphic picture and original (Rupert Everet voice) English language and avoidable subs.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Perhaps Ron (since he got the Twin Peaks preview) or someone else could contact Artisan and note our displeasure with this release. I couldn't find a contact email anywhere on the site.

Stephen A

Agent
JohnJB,

You're right, I should have said "except Von Sydow". He ofcourse is a great actor (and a fellow swede) ;-) But everyone else speaking english does make the performances become alot worse. So in this case I think it is worth sacrificing Max Von Sydow's original voice for the greater good. Unlike in Deep Red, where I prefer to see it in English to hear David Hemmings voice, since the other English speakers in that movie does it ALOT better.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
It's good to know everybody and their mother gets Sleepless in widescreen, except America. :angry:
It's great to know that Artisan could shell out $75k for an Arnold commentary track that isn't even worth one dollar, let alone $75k, yet they won't shell out the money to have Sleepless get an anamorphic widescreen transfer (hell, I would've taken a non-anamorphic widescreen transfer over pan & scan).

Will K

Screenwriter
Maybe I've been asleep at the wheel, but I've just noticed this. Pan & Scan Argento? :laugh: First, they gave a fine little Canadian horror film, Ginger Snaps, the shaft with a fullscreen only, 2.0 treatment and now this.
Artisan, just what is going on here??? Certainly you don't expect us to give you money for damaged goods! This will not stand. Get this right or we will obtain proper versions from other sources. I am not playing.
By the way, does anyone know an email address or phone number for these guys? If it's on their website, they sure hide it well.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I watched the Artisan DVD last night. It is P&S, not open matt. Some scenes seem cut off at the sides and the end credits are letterbox. Based upon the end credits, it appears that the film should be 1.85. Can someone with the PAL version confirm correct aspect ratio?

Found the solution in Tokyo for PAL......one store has a JVC player with PAL conversion to NTSC output built-in and all region (including no problem with RCE) and for about $ 450.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Roger, this film is 1.85:1. I saw it theatrically at the American Cinematheque in Los Angeles and they are sticklers for projecting films correctly, and that's how SLEEPLESS was shown. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it was shown in Europe and other places at 1.66:1, as this is a quite common practice with many films not made for anamorphic projection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks