What's new

A question regarding Dolby Digital (1 Viewer)

Mike_Craft

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I know the differences between using digital and coxial cables to get DD but what I want to know is:

If I hook up my dvd player (which has a built in dolby digital decoder) through the 5.1 RCA OUT jacks at the back, to my 5.1 RCA IN jacks in my reciever will it be better/worse/same as using a digital cable?

My reciver also has a DD decoder and my dvd player and reciver both have digital inputs.

Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DVD with digital IN? That seems unusual to me.

The main difference between using the analog processing of the DVD and the receiver depends on which one has better DACs (Digital to Analog Converter). The second thing would be the fact that all calibrations and settings would now be handled by the DVD player (whether that is good or not, again depends on the gear). Third, now you need more cables. Will it be worth it? That's tough to say, but my DVD also has analog and both digital types, and I am use the coax digital. If it's a decent receiver, I would tend to say let the receiver do the processing.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Yep, let the receiver do the decoding. From my experience, DVD Players do a poor job of managing bass, at least mine does. I have a JVC XV-SA75GD hooked up to a Yamaha HTR-5250 via Optical Digital as well as 5.1 RCA for DVD-Audio playback. I've tried using the player's Dolby Digital and DTS decoders, but absolutely could not get the bass calibrated with out an ICBM. So, I use the digital connection for watching movies and the 5.1 RCA for DVD-Audio.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
(If you need more votes for this :) ) Most of us use a digital connection and let the receiver do the decoding.
The receiver does a lot of things to the sound. It adjusts the levels, the time delays, does bass management, etc.
If you send 5 ANALOG cables to the receiver, the receiver likely converts it to digital so it can work it's magic. All the extra conversions are not good for the sound quality.
A single cable is cheaper, easier, better for the sound.
Hope this helps.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When using the analog inputs, there is no conversion, no decoding, because it has already been done by the DVD player. The delays, levels, bass management, etc...should be configurable at the player in order to use the analog outs. All the amp does is provide the power, essentially working as a stand alone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks