A Pink Floyd Reunion Is Being Rumored For Next Year

Discussion in 'Music' started by Tony-B, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I know that a lot of us here are fans of Pink Floyd, so I thought that you all would be interested in this.

A British magazine, Q Magazine, is reporting that the lineup of David Gilmour, Roger Waters, Nick Mason and Richard Wright will be performing some shows next year.

I'm very sorry, but that's the only detail at this time. Here is the site I got the information from: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/...l?200410071103.

Well if this does end up being true I would be thrilled to death because I am a teenager who is just getting into Pink Floyd, and I would absolutely love to see them live. Sure, the ticket prices would be through the roof, but I'd find a way to save up for it.

Also while I'm on the subject, which Floyd album should I go for next? I've only heard Dark Side Of The Moon at this point, and I absolutely loved it. Thanks.

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Atom Heart Mother. The one with the cow on the album cover. Came out when I was a senior in high school.

[​IMG]

3. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Wish You Were Here. Great CD from beginning to end.

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

agree. definitely wish you were here. then animals. then the wall.

5. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Doesn't that rule out Gilmour?

6. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Maybe he meant Gilmour, Waters, Mason and Wright. Not the original, but most well known...

7. Michael St. Clair

I can only imagine the $200 obstructed-view tickets now.

8. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Jason, that's what I meant. I probably had a momentary lapse of intelligence while wrting that part.

I fixed up the original post.

I wonder what the front row tickets would go for? [​IMG]

9. Chris-V

Chris-V Stunt Coordinator

Wow. On the one hand it would be a phenomenal show. On the other, I'm having trouble thinking of another reunion more likely to become a repeat of the Van Halen/David Lee Roth MTV 'reunion' fiasco. As recently as "Is There Anybody Out There," Gilmour and Waters couldn't say a nice word about one another. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it, and the idea of those four collaborating on new studio material (ok, ok...not a chance in the world, but a man can dream, can't he?) leaves me drooling. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if this turns out to be the "Police" reunion that was supposed to turn out new studio versions of their greatest hits, and got through exactly one song (and, rumor has it, one other demo) before falling apart.

10. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

And I just got done watching Roger Waters' In the Flesh DVD. Well I certainly hope this reunion happens. The Classic Albums Dark Side DVD got me, and I'm sure plenty of other fans, hungry for a real get-together of the Floyd. The only thing that could possibly be cooler is if they drag Syd Barrett back on stage with all of them. Yeah I know that's a pipe dream.

I wouldn't expect to actually attend a reunion were it to happen, but I would definitely hope a reunion is captured for DVD.

Tony, as for what Floyd CD's to get next after Dark Side I agree with ScottCHI: Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall. That was basically the path I went down. Then I backtracked to Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, More, Relics, Piper at the Gates, Saucerful of Secrets... then I went for The Final Cut I think. Momentary Lapse of Reason was in there somewhere too.

It's very interesting to explore the musical evolution of Pink Floyd. It's like a course in human studies through music.

11. L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau Second Unit

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I don't know about that...there was a story in the Wall Street Journal today about how concert promoters are rethinking high ticket prices since this years incredibly over-priced shows sold horribly.

I would love to see Pink Floyd even at $200. [​IMG]

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Gary: wot, no Division Bell? [​IMG]

But seriously, Tony-B, sound advice, WYWH, Animals and The Wall should be your next buys. Unless you want to jump the gun and get a best-of or concert CD, in which case you have your choice of Echoes, Pulse and Delicate Sound of Thunder (IMHO in that order, if at all). Pulse contains a complete concert performance of DSotM. Also: if you haven't yet, make sure you listen to multichannel DSotM on the SACD.

A Pink Floyd reunion? If it really happens and they tour, I'd specially fly to some convenient location to catch a concert (assuming they don't come here, which they almost certainly won't).

Whether it really happens or not, who knows? Hell froze over and the Eagles "reunited", so why not flying pigs and the Floyd? Hopefully they take the piss, as the Eagles did, and call the reunion studio album "Flying Pigs" or "When Pigs Fly" or something similar...

14. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

I had heard on the radio that Roger Water's management is denying the rumor stating that there is no truth to it what-so-ever. However, Roger Water's is planning a tour for next year.

15. AricB

AricB Second Unit

I got to see the Pixies reunion tour after 12 years apart this year, and most fans never thought that would happen. So I remain hopeful for the last 2 bands I'd really go to great lengths to see live, Pink Floyd and Talking Heads.

16. Michael St. Clair

How many of those over-prices shows were of bands that hadn't played together in 20 years?

There is no doubt that for some bands hell has frozen over too many times. There are still some acts out there who can charge the premium prices, and PF would be one of them. The folly of the concert promoters was in thinking that practically all acts, especially 'nostalgia' superstars, are a possibility for premium pricing.

17. Adrian P

Adrian P Stunt Coordinator

We don't know that. I saw Floyd about 10 years ago and paid $35.00 for a VIP seat, 10th row center.

18. Michael St. Clair

First of all, the market for ticket pricing has changed dramatically in the last 10 years.

Second of all, you saw 3/4 of what many people consider the definitive lineup.

19. Adrian P

Adrian P Stunt Coordinator

Some glimmer of hope?

20. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

In the MOJO special on Pink Floyd that just came out, Roger says he would not reunite with Dave becuase they don't like each other anymore. Roger is friends with Nick, but since Roger "fired" Rick Wright around the time of the Wall, I don't think there are warm feelings there either.

Tony-B: Get Meddle next!