What's new

Who do you feel are the greatest, best, your favorite directors WORKING today? (1 Viewer)

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Can I add Barry Jenkins to this list of important filmmakers? Moonlight was powerful and exquisitely beautiful. He is a director who knows his light and how to make subtle emotions visible. I think he is a poet of the highest order.
PS - The Coens, Wes Anderson, Tarantino, Scorsese, PT Anderson, Safdie Brothers

Do you see something that all the directors you mention have in common?

mskaye

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Do you see something that all the directors you mention have in common?
They all have distinct and elevated visual styles and creative visions. Their films are almost immediately identifiable as their own. There is authorship and a point of view. They take chances with style and with subject matter. They work outside the traditional Hollywood blockbuster system.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
They all have distinct and elevated visual styles and creative visions. Their films are almost immediately identifiable as their own. There is authorship and a point of view. They take chances with style and with subject matter. They work outside the traditional Hollywood blockbuster system.

I would add that all of them place a very heavy emphasis on characters and character building. When you watch their pictures you walk away feeling like you met and know the people in them.

I think this generally says something about us as moviegoers. The way we select favorites is often very related to how the characters are presented to us. While all those guys have distinct quirks and visual styles they all definitely want you to feel you know their characters...whether they are good guys or bad they open a door to them for us to step through to put us in their world and make us understand them.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
He's only made one picture but what a debut it was. I certainly want to see whatever Boots Riley does next. Part comedy, social satire, and science fiction, Sorry to Bother You was a knockout first film.

Boots.jpg

mskaye

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I would add that all of them place a very heavy emphasis on characters and character building. When you watch their pictures you walk away feeling like you met and know the people in them.

I think this generally says something about us as moviegoers. The way we select favorites is often very related to how the characters are presented to us. While all those guys have distinct quirks and visual styles they all definitely want you to feel you know their characters...whether they are good guys or bad they open a door to them for us to step through to put us in their world and make us understand them.
absolutely agree about characters. Also a great knack for casting and tweaking/experimentation with narrative structure. Sound design is also very original.

mskaye

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Kochman
absolutely agree about characters. Also a great knack for casting and tweaking/experimentation with narrative structure. Sound design is also very original.
One other observation: rarely, in most of these great director's films, do any of the big dramatic moments or climaxes fall flat. The set up dramatic situations perfectly. They pay them off with electricity, style and emotion. By the way, I seriously liked Sorry to Bother You. A great mash up of styles - a little Get Out, a little Island of Lost Souls, Twlight Zone, with a very relevant profound message.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Joel & Ethan Coen
Mel Gibson
Edgar Wright
Quentin Tarantino
Tom Tykwer
Nicolas Winding Refn
Sam Raimi
S. Craig Zahler (Bone Tomahawk, Brawl in Cell Block 99, Dragged Across Concrete)

Beckford

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
Sean Baker (The Florida Project, Tangerine, Prince of Broadway)
Xavier Dolan (Mommy, Laurence Anyways, Matthias & Maxime)
Asghar Farhadi (The Salesman, About Elly, A Separation)
Pedro Almodovar (Law of Desire, Bad Education, Pain and Glory)
Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Kingdom of Heaven, Matchstick Men)
and I'm still hoping for another masterpiece from Terrence Malick, whose already given us several
(Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line, The Tree of Life).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scoundrel
Recent bookmarks