What's new

A PEEK AT TWO WOMEN (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I know there's a thread about wanting this film on Blu-ray, in which no one seemed to have known it IS on Blu-ray from the UK, and it's all-region.

Even though this film had a very long run at a movie theater five blocks from where I lived as a kid, the Lido, I never saw it back then. I was twelve, although I had seen several foreign films at the Lido and enjoyed them. So, I didn't catch up with Two Women until the 1980s, first on VHS then DVD, but always in one of those hideous full-frame public domain transfers of the English dubbed version - the dub, BTW, was pretty good, with Loren dubbing herself. I really liked the film as much as I could given the presentation, but I didn't find it great.

When this Blu-ray was announced as being a new transfer off a restored negative in the proper aspect ratio, I jumped at it. And it's been sitting on my couch since the beginning of the year, waiting for the right time to view. I'm only sorry I waited so long, because the film achieved greatness for me thanks to finally seeing it in a presentation it's worthy of. And let me tell you, it's worthy.

I'd read old Dr. Svet, who was less than thrilled with this transfer in his usual way - again, I don't know what his expertise is, if any, but he's very wrong about this (and so many others) - I suspect he's just a guy on the Internet reviewing Blu-rays. He thinks whatever the raw scans are are probably great - like he would know what the raw scans are. But he says in his usual mangled verbiage that things have been done to those raw scans, which, for him, seriously compromised the transfer - he particularly calls out two sequences and points to three screen caps to illustrate his point. So, I went to the three screen caps and guess what - one is an optical, and the other is very gray because it was seemingly shot on a very gray day in morning light. Neither scene has had anything "done" to it, at least not that my eyeballs can see.

So, how is the transfer? Well, I found it pretty fantastic, even putting aside the public domain from hell things we've had to put up with. He decries lack of detail - well, the detail is amazing, fantastic, save for the opticals, which are - opticals. The clothing detail, the bricks, all of it, for me, looks great. I guess I just don't live in this alternate universe where wonderful transfers get middling reviews. Funnily, transfers he assigns high marks to, to my eyes, are frequently problematic - so, there's that. But I really hate the harm that's done, that people read that stuff and actually don't purchase the disc.

I'd love for someone to take a chance on this and post their thoughts. But I know film well enough to know I really could not be happier with this transfer. I don't know the company that released it - CultFilms they're called - I'm sure it was licensed from an Italian company, probably the one who restored it. Sophia Loren truly deserved her Oscar, and frankly Eleonora Brown, twelve at the time of the film's release, deserved one, too. There are two nice extras - an interview with Loren and a piece about de Sica. It's still an important film, all these years later and it hold up incredibly well. Highly recommended by

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Well, now that this disc has the Kimmel Seal of Good Housekeeping, of course I'll order it. I'll give you my thoughts in a month or so, when it arrives from Merrie Old England. As I mentioned in the other thread, I saw this film at my neighborhood theatre that had become an art house, when I was in my early teens, and thought that it was one of the best films that I had seen up to that point in my life. What I particularly remember is the quality of the black & white image, and of course Ms. Loren's performance, which was electrifying.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Well, now that this disc has the Kimmel Seal of Good Housekeeping, of course I'll order it. I'll give you my thoughts in a month or so, when it arrives from Merrie Old England. As I mentioned in the other thread, I saw this film at my neighborhood theatre that had become an art house, when I was in my early teens, and thought that it was one of the best films that I had seen up to that point in my life. What I particularly remember is the quality of the black & white image, and of course Ms. Loren's performance, which was electrifying.

TWO WOMEN totally mesmerized me when I saw it at the cinema where I was working. Truly Sophie Loren's crowning achievement. One of the all-time classics from Italy.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
MV5BZjQyYjc1NzctMWRmYS00NWQyLThlYzUtYTVlZmVjMjYzMmVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAwMzUyOTc@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
When I first saw this film about 40 years ago, I was stunned...it's a towering achievement in Italian Cinema...incredibly powerful and touching...Sophia Loren is amazing...young Eleonora Brown delivers a wonderful performance as the daughter...Jean-Paul Belmondo is also effective...very touching, and when the savagery of war comes, it is more shocking than any other thousand war movies could ever pretend to be...

Thank you Bruce for this info and link...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I saw Two Women when it first came out. It didn't make a very strong impression on me, and the only sequence I remember clearly is the climactic scene where the two women are "attacked" by soldiers.

I was aware of this disc - Amazon UK sends me emails four or five times a week! - but I've hesitated about buying because I was sceptical about the provenance of this disc. Now that Mr. Kimmel - to whom, many thanks - has assured us of the quality, I'll place my order.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I know there's a thread about wanting this film on Blu-ray, in which no one seemed to have known it IS on Blu-ray from the UK, and it's all-region.

Even though this film had a very long run at a movie theater five blocks from where I lived as a kid, the Lido, I never saw it back then. I was twelve, although I had seen several foreign films at the Lido and enjoyed them. So, I didn't catch up with Two Women until the 1980s, first on VHS then DVD, but always in one of those hideous full-frame public domain transfers of the English dubbed version - the dub, BTW, was pretty good, with Loren dubbing herself. I really liked the film as much as I could given the presentation, but I didn't find it great.

When this Blu-ray was announced as being a new transfer off a restored negative in the proper aspect ratio, I jumped at it. And it's been sitting on my couch since the beginning of the year, waiting for the right time to view. I'm only sorry I waited so long, because the film achieved greatness for me thanks to finally seeing it in a presentation it's worthy of. And let me tell you, it's worthy.

I'd read old Dr. Svet, who was less than thrilled with this transfer in his usual way - again, I don't know what his expertise is, if any, but he's very wrong about this (and so many others) - I suspect he's just a guy on the Internet reviewing Blu-rays. He thinks whatever the raw scans are are probably great - like he would know what the raw scans are. But he says in his usual mangled verbiage that things have been done to those raw scans, which, for him, seriously compromised the transfer - he particularly calls out two sequences and points to three screen caps to illustrate his point. So, I went to the three screen caps and guess what - one is an optical, and the other is very gray because it was seemingly shot on a very gray day in morning light. Neither scene has had anything "done" to it, at least not that my eyeballs can see.

So, how is the transfer? Well, I found it pretty fantastic, even putting aside the public domain from hell things we've had to put up with. He decries lack of detail - well, the detail is amazing, fantastic, save for the opticals, which are - opticals. The clothing detail, the bricks, all of it, for me, looks great. I guess I just don't live in this alternate universe where wonderful transfers get middling reviews. Funnily, transfers he assigns high marks to, to my eyes, are frequently problematic - so, there's that. But I really hate the harm that's done, that people read that stuff and actually don't purchase the disc.

I'd love for someone to take a chance on this and post their thoughts. But I know film well enough to know I really could not be happier with this transfer. I don't know the company that released it - CultFilms they're called - I'm sure it was licensed from an Italian company, probably the one who restored it. Sophia Loren truly deserved her Oscar, and frankly Eleonora Brown, twelve at the time of the film's release, deserved one, too. There are two nice extras - an interview with Loren and a piece about de Sica. It's still an important film, all these years later and it hold up incredibly well. Highly recommended by

What the good doctor thought of this release means little to me, but it does matter that you've endorsed it. My hesitation was the distribution label, Cult Films, which I knew nothing about. I'll now place my order confidently. Thanks for the review.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I also have the UK Bly Ray. Watching TWO WOMEN was a revelation; having only seen it as a public domain dvd. An extraordinary film and powerful performances. Sophia did deserve an Oscar....I'm still sad Natalie did not win though.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I bought this when it was first released by Cult Films in UK. I had seen it once on a t.v. broadcast -- probably TCM -- and found it to be powerful and memorable, but until now there have been no decent video transfers. Interestingly, it was the first foreign-language film to be nominated for an actor Oscar, and the win was very much deserved. The Blu-ray looks pretty gorgeous to me. 1.66:1 has been and remains my favorite aspect ratio shape for whatever reason, and the black and white detail and contrast are superlative. The bonus features are spare but I am not complaining because this compelling film finally looks wonderful. I concur fully with Bruce's assessment.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Like to see De Sica's The Garden of the Finzi Contini (1970) released on blu-ray. The region 1 Sony dvd is out of print and i have the Arrow region 2 PAL and it does have a good transfer of the film.

Yeah, Sony/Sony Classics is withholding from Blu-ray a bunch of fine foreign-language films that Columbia-TriStar put out on DVD, Hopefully, TT or someone will get a few of them out:

BURNT BY THE SUN
OLIVIER OLIVIER
THE COLOR OF PARADISE
ORLANDO
etc. etc.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I also have the British blu of Two Women and can't add anything to what Mr. Kimmel has already said. It's a fine transfer and I'm thrilled to finally have it in Italian with English subtitles in its original aspect ratio rather than the full frame fuzzy looking dubbed public domain prints.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Glad to hear others who have it agree. :)

CultFilms is a blending of two other Blu-ray labels that have put out several wonderful titles that are now issued by this new iteration, including La Dolce Vita and 81/2.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched the U.K. Blu-ray disc of Two Women this evening. (I chose the Italian version with English sub-titles) I thought the transfer was above and beyond serious criticism. I'd be pretty sceptical about anyone who did find fault with either the picture or sound quality.

I didn't like either of the two "extras" however. I lasted about ten minutes of the one about Sophia Loren and about 30 seconds of the one on Vittorio De Sica. "Talking heads" heaping mindless praise doesn't do it for me.

Both Sophia Loren and Vittorio De Sica are interesting people with interesting contradictions and both could sustain proper investigative documentaries.

Reactions: PMF

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
I didn't like either of the two "extras" however. I lasted about ten minutes of the one about Sophia Loren and about 30 seconds of the one on Vittorio De Sica. "Talking heads" heaping mindless praise doesn't do it for me.
My Sony player (Region A) could not access the extras. Sounds like I didn't miss anything.

The movie itself played just fine. I watched it twice, once in Italian and once with the English dub. I have a nostalgic affection for the English version (I think Loren's voice is also on the English track) because that's how I first saw the film as a child when it played on HBO back in the mid-1970's.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Posts in the Criterion thread reminded me to purchase this Blu-ray title. It's been many years since I last watched this movie so I'm looking forward to receiving in the next several days. Thanks to Bruce, Mike and others for giving this Blu-ray their seal of approval.:thumbsup:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Posts in the Criterion thread reminded me to purchase this Blu-ray title. It's been many years since I last watched this movie so I'm looking forward to receiving in the next several days. Thanks to Bruce, Mike and others for giving this Blu-ray their seal of approval.:thumbsup:
Love to know what you think. And since it's now been four years since I got it and watched, I think I'll take it out and watch again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks