What's new

A paranoid AMD question.. (1 Viewer)

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I just got my new computer yesterday and hopefully I'm just paranoid. I ordered an AMD 1.4 Tbird, when the systems starts up it recognizes an 1.04 AMD and XP sees it as a 1.06 AMD. I was expecting to see 1.40 AMD. So before I go yellling and screaming, is this normal or did I pay for something I didn't get.
Thanks everyone,
Mike

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, I have the ASUS A7M266 based on the AMD-761 chipset. Does that help?
Mike

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Asus are normally pretty frequent with their bios updates; my first stop would be to get a recent one and make sure that it supports chips to the 1.4GHz speed. It may be that your current motherboard setup can only cope with chips as fast as 1GHz, and so thats what it is running at.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
You have to go into the bios menu and change the cpu multiplier and bus speed manually. I got a AthlonXP 1800 which is clocked at 1.53ghz. When I first booted the system it was running around 1ghz. I think its a safety precaution ASUS puts into the boards so you can't burn up your cpu. You can select "Automatic" in you bios menu and the bios should list "1400" somewhere in the cpu speed list. Or if you want you could go manual and choose 10.5x for the multiplier and 133mhz for you bus speed. Hope this helps.

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Eric, I'll give it a try when I get home from work.
I love this place.
biggrin.gif

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick update.
I went into the BIOS, changed the system frequency from 100 mhz to 133 mhz and I now have a AMD 1.4 in my system.
Thanks everyone for you advice.
Mike

Tony Woods

Grip
Athlon XP 1800...can you smell my jealousy?
I can't wait for some good nForce boards! then i will upgrade to something faster than my current setup
in the mean time i chunk along on my Thunderbird 850 @1100mhz on my Asus A7V
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks