--A little confused about bi-wiring--

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rob E, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Rob E

Rob E Extra

I know that this type of wiring is controversal but I am a little confused about the logics behind it. Do you connect a 4 conductor wire to one speaker? are two of the internal wires connected together to form one connection onto the positive or negative terminal? I am in the market to purchase speaker wire and am a little confused-

2. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

Well what speakers are you using?

Unless your speakers have 2 pairs of binding posts on the back, you won't be able to biwire them anyways.

Typically a premade bi-wire combination will have 2 conductors on one end to connect to the amplifier, and 4 connectors on the other end to connect with the tweeter and woofer terminals on the speaker.

3. Rob E

Rob E Extra

See this is where I am confused- I have the ascend acoustics cbm-170's and on there website they sell wire with 4 individual conductors inside one main jacket.

" We recommend wiring the two sets of conductors together creating a single pair yielding 11.2 gauge with 210 strands of OFC copper. "

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Main/...ccessories.asp

Should I buy the "standard" 2 wire(pos/neg) or the 4 wire and twist them together?

Thanks for your help-

4. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

Well it looks like your speakers only have one set of inputs. And those cables they sell are not bi-wire cables, they just use a 4 conductor cable and use 2 conductors per leg of the circuit.

So they would work fine with your setup.

IMO, biwring is unecessary anyways.

5. Rob E

Rob E Extra

Thanks for clearing that up Jerry!