What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Without a Clue -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

You'll recall Thom Eberhart, the director of Without a Clue, from Night of the Comet.

I'm an easy target for anything having to do with Baker Street, Holmes and Watson, so this film captured my interest when it arrived back in 1988.

The basic set-up of the film, is that Holmes was a thespian hired by Watson, who was the real brains behind the effort.

The problem with the set-up is that it doesn't really work. I'm fine with the film, as it's interesting to see where it's going any how it intends on getting there.

It's fun, but go in with minimal expectations, and you'll exit in good shape.

As a Blu-ray, Without a Clue is a nice place to spend a hundred minutes or so.  Color, densities, grain are all fine.  Nothing to take you out of the experience.  The aspect ratio, set here at 1.66 also works nicely - just odd for the era.

Without a Clue is a safe bet on Blu-ray.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 4.5

RAH

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I particularly enjoy Ben Kingsley in this -- his barely concealed distain toward Michael Caine's Holmes is hilarious.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
The advertised ratio is 1.66, but the transfer itself is 1.85.

This is an old favorite. I'm a Sherlock Holmes fanatic, and this is the only Holmes comedy that is actually funny. So it's one I return to quite a bit. And will do so even more, now that I don't have the awful "full screen" DVD to contend with. Very happy with this purchase.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Sounds like grounds for an "irreconcilable differences" divorce claim to me. :P

In all seriousness, though, it's not for all tastes, I suppose, but for someone like me, who truly adores Sherlock Holmes, it's great fun. Virtually all Holmesian comedies (Cook/Moore Hound of the Baskervilles, The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother, etc.) simply aren't funny, and that's terribly disappointing, as the subject is ripe for a comedic offtake. To my mind, Without a Clue is the Holmes comedy that works. And it works very well. Watched it again as soon as the BD arrived, and it holds up wonderfully. And needless to say, the BD transfer is a huge step up from MGM's 1.33 DVD presentation.

Here's a link to my Sherlock Holmes DVD/BD collection...I'm pretty proud of it:

http://holmes-fanatic.filmaf.com/owned

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I've been waiting for this title for quite some time. I may quibble with Mr. Harris' assessment of it, as I think it is quite clever and very much fun. (You say Mambo, I say mamba. What's the difference?) But I'm glad to see it is a worthy transfer!

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I've got it! His real name is Arty Morty!

What the hell am I talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks