What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Wonder Woman -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman in 4k UHD / HDR, and the 3D variant, are two very different takes on the same entity, and both have positive and negative attributes. Neither is perfect.

I'm still at a loss as to why WB is unable to create a simple 3-disc set, ie. 4k, 3D and BD in the same package, as that would been the proper way to release this film.

Although shot via S35 and large format digital, the final result of the film seems to be via a 2k master, with Dolby Vision. The 4k disc is HDR10, and not Dolby Vision encoded.

Audio offered on the 4k disc is Dolby Atmos, which is wonderfully mixed for the film. Same for the Blu-ray, but not the 3D, which is 5.1.

The 4k variant is quite lovely, with a wonderfully highly resolved image, but HDR is not quite up to prime time via home theater projection. On a flat panel, especially OLED, it's magnificent. Projection is very nice, but still not fully represented without full nits, hence a slight loss of shadow detail.

What's unusual here, is that the original film element seems dirty for a film of this import, that isn't a catalog title.

As an example, take a look at the sequence as Danny Huston exits his car at around 44 minutes. You'll see a darkened sky, weird digital anomalies in the grain structure, along with occasional minus density, which should have been removed. The sky should also have appeared more normal.

Not a clue why the minus density spots weren't attended to. Possibly the filmmaker or DP wanted a true film look.

Tech nigglings, aside, Wonder Woman is a terrific movie, and like Warner TV's Supergirl, a nice place for pre- and early teen girls to allow their imagines to run wild.

All was fine until I reached the end credits, and saw an exec producer credit that made my skin crawl, but c'est la vie... I don't like it when fantasy and reality are oddly mixed.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
All was fine until I reached the end credits, and saw an exec producer credit that made my skin crawl, but c'est la vie... I don't like it when fantasy and reality are oddly mixed.

That individual has stepped down from his role in financing and producing WB/DC films as of this fall. His name may appear in the credits for a couple projects still in production at the time of his stepping down, but going forward it should be less of an issue.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, not having a combo 3-D/4K release sucks big-time. I'm going to buy the 4K release due to the Dolby Atmos track.

If you aren't itchy to have it immediately, there is a planned combo pack available in France -- 2 actually though it doesn't release until mid Oct. Amazon.fr has a std case and FNAC has an exclusive Steelbook. FNAC would be a great choice, but their international shipping doesn't have a slow/cheap option. I was considering ordering King Arthur 4K/3D and T2 3D from them to even out the shipping a little since added items are just a couple EUR. I was waiting to see is Spider-man Homecoming was going to get a french release or if it was going to be a AmazUK exclusive

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
That individual has stepped down from his role in financing and producing WB/DC films as of this fall. His name may appear in the credits for a couple projects still in production at the time of his stepping down, but going forward it should be less of an issue.

Maybe Louise thought he could get her more work.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Once again, Hollywood screws the 3D fan. No atmos. If I buy this movie it will be 3D.

Unfortunately, this has been Warner's policy for BD3D releases for at least a little while -- it's not that WW is being singled out, but that they've made a (bizarre) corporate decision that their 3D titles should not include Atmos sound, even though there is no technical reason why Atmos couldn't be included on the 3D disc. Warner used to include it. I think this is part of a push to make BD releases more bare bones and less functional, to devalue the format and push enthusiasts to adopting the more expensive, and therefore more profitable, UHD releases. If the UHD disc also carried the 3D version, I wouldn't mind as much, but since it doesn't... it's frustrating. Theatrical viewers were able to view the film in both 3D and Atmos - there's no reason home viewers shouldn't be able to do the same.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I get so tired of this stupid corporate crap. Instead of screwing their customers, Warner Bros. should take a hint from Best Buy and their exclusive 4K/3D/BRD steelbook releases. People are having ZERO problem buying them so fast that they sell out at $40+ a pop.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unfortunately, just another example of the studios wanting to push 4K/UHD discs as premium releases. Frankly, I viewed this film a couple of times in a movie theater so I'm not in a hurry to buy this release so I'll wait until November/December to see if any holiday sales take place.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'll buy it twice (both formats), but for now 3D only. I will look into buying the UHD around Christmas, or early Next year.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Why is it an issue? Did he pickle his grandmother? :mellow:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
What, negative dirt on a new movie? And a huge film at that, one that made a fortune, something very wrong there. I just can't see the director saying, oh leave that, if that's the case they might as well throw in a couple of scratches & some wobbly reel change circles.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Why is it an issue? Did he pickle his grandmother? :mellow:

Who are we talking about??? Voldemort??:D

This is very difficult to answer because of the forum's politics and religion rule, but without stating an opinion on the matter, factually speaking, the current Secretary of the Treasury was a financier who invested in Warner and DC movies before assuming his current position, and took producer credit on films like Batman V Superman, Suicide Squad, The Lego Batman Movie, and Wonder Woman. Traditionally, when people take on high profile government roles such as that, they step down from whatever civilian jobs they are holding and put their finances into a blind trust. When this individual took office, he initially declined to take those traditional steps. He has recently made statements that he will now be divesting from his investment in Warner/DC films.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Isn't There is a somewhat specious credit in another, older film ... ?
loa-dl-12.jpg

HINT: it's the last one ... (Contractual obligations I understand ...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks