What's new

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It’s worth mentioning that you are hearing the original three-channel stereophonic sound for the first time since 1953. Unlike many other early stereo films which panned mono dialogue and effect tracks, this audio was actually recorded on-set with multiple microphones.

Long thought lost, we found the tracks buried deep in the Vaults at Universal.

The High Fidelity magnetic sound is magnificent, especially the explosions in the last reel. You’ll learn some fascinating information about that incident in Mike Ballew’s commentary supplement. They startled residents and rattled windows in the valley miles away from the studio!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
So for $17.97 we get:
  • Includes 3-D and 2-D Versions of the Feature and Cartoon
  • Newly Restored in 3-D by 3-D Film Archive – From 2K Scan of the Left & Right Eye IPs
  • Full Feature Audio Commentary by Film Historian Jeremy Arnold
  • Includes Hypnotic Hick - 1953 Woody Woodpecker Cartoon
  • 20-Minute Audio Commentary by 3-D Expert Mike Ballew
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • 3.0 Original 1953 High Dynamic Range Theatrical Mix
  • 5.1 Surround (2020 Compressed 3.0 Midnight Movie Mix)
  • Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
  • Optional English Subtitles
Or I could buy The Court Jester for $22.99 and I get from this exclusive release from Paramount Presents:
  • NEW Filmmaker Focus: Leonard Maltin on The Court Jester HD
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Mono sound
I guess Paramount goes the extra mile to give us practically nothing in extras. Who really cares about their customers? The 3D Film Archive or Paramount Presents?

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Thank you Robert, that is very much appreciated and our work is a team effort. Greg Kintz did shot by shot stereoscopic alignment and left/right panel matching; Thad Komorowski performed dirt and damage clean-up and Jack Theakston helped Greg with bringing back the severely faded color.

Here's an example of what we were up against. The dupe opticals (and there are many) were absolutely toasted!

View attachment 86863
Posting this picture improves my attitude towards your work, which was already an 11 on a scale of 1-10. Such "gifts" to movie lovers are epic and I think I can speak for many people here that we give you a hats-off standing ovation.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thank you and what makes the faded elements even more challenging is that fading is always different on the left and right sides. We have to try and bring back color for each shot twice. Aye aye aye.

After working on this title, Taza, Son of Cochise and Dynasty back-to-back, we welcome a black and white show!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There are very few classic cartoons in 3-D. This is extremely welcome. If something just could be done about the Popeye and Bugs Bunny ones Warner controls.

And the Disney ones (good luck with that!) I do own "Working For Peanuts" with Donald Duck, but that was only released on a Disney 3-D promo disc and is difficult to find now. Their other 3D short was "Melody" which, to my knowledge, has never been released to home video, and likely won't be.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I approached Disney several years ago to license Melody, Working for Peanuts and 3-D Jamboree for Blu-ray release.

Crickets.
1611854546753.png

cstegall

Auditioning
Real Name
Cary Stegall
For me it's an easy decision, when I see 3D Film Archive, I just buy the disc. If I don't like the movie, I can always pass it on to a friend or resell it. Taza is on my watch list for this weekend - I'm already believing that Rock is a true Native American.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Thank you and what makes the faded elements even more challenging is that fading is always different on the left and right sides. We have to try and bring back color for each shot twice. Aye aye aye.

After working on this title, Taza, Son of Cochise and Dynasty back-to-back, we welcome a black and white show!

I think it's been mentioned in the past there are problems with acquiring these titles but, I thought I would list the black and white 3-D titles anyhow.

The Glass Web
I, The Jury
The Moonlighter
The Diamond Wizard
Robot Monster
Cat-Women of the Moon

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Possibly yet another need for an automated update. The projector correctly identifies a 3-D data stream. It might be possible to automatically go to a different setting to more properly exhibit 3-D.

As opposed to another created and locked setting for 3-D, for which one size will not fit all. Also doesn’t help that JVC glasses seem a couple of points heavier than Sony.

The new firmware makes the automatic switching work much better than it did before. You can define different default modes for when the projector detects SDR, HDR, or 3D. The biggest thing that helps with 3D for JVC is to set the lamp to High. You can do that manually every time that you watch a 3D disc, but now you can have the projector do it for you. I just created a separate picture mode for 3D with the same calibration but the lamp set to High and the iris wide open. (I usually have it closed a few notches for SDR.) With the new firmware, now the projector will automatically switch to that mode and back again when you put in a new disc.

In a perfect world there should be a separate calibration for 3D, but my calibrator didn't do 3D anymore and just setting the lamp to high and making sure that the iris was wide open made a world of difference. (I also have a 1.3 gain screen, which helps a bit.) But hopefully you can get yours updated and recalibrated soon. It is worth the effort.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I think it's been mentioned in the past there are problems with acquiring these titles but, I thought I would list the black and white 3-D titles anyhow.

The Glass Web
I, The Jury
The Moonlighter
The Diamond Wizard
Robot Monster
Cat-Women of the Moon

Many of us would love to see GLASS WEB and I, THE JURY cleared of whatever issues hold up a potential 3D release. I know nothing of the middle two. ROBOT MONSTER and CAT WOMEN are, unfortunately, pretty much lost films in the hands of Wade Williams, who is not a team player.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
This was a very hard purchase for me. I love 3D, but hate Westerns. Reading comments on the web made me order it and it should arrive tomorrow. If I don't like it, it's your fault!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks