What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Western Union -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Faring quite a bit better than Beautiful Blonde as far as quality is concerned, here's a western from Fritz Lang. His fifth production in the States.

Robert Young and Randolph Scott are the leads in this large-scale production concerning the beginnings of telegraph lines in the American west.

As photographed by Edward Cronjager (Heaven Can Wait), and Allen M. Davey (Cover Girl), at least there's enough of the Technicolor look surviving on this one to give an idea of what their worked looked like. Nothing accurate or proper. Just a hint.

Except for some plugged up shadow detail, the imagery is acceptable.

I don't know what people think about Technicolor productions, or if they do, but we have slim pickins' today.

As an example, there were sixteen Technicolor films released in 1941, and half a dozen of those might be of interest today. Of those, and this is without checking, I'd bet that we have the ability to currently see one title, close to the way that it was intended to look.

As perspective, we might find a couple from 1940, seven from 1939, probably about four from 1938 and two from 1937.

Jump forward to 1942, and we probably have three surviving of interest, and for 1943, half a dozen, possibly seven for 1944, and another six for 1945.

What this means, is that when you see a quality release from any distributor, based upon original Technicolor elements, grab it.

It's a rara avis.

Image - 4

Audio - 4

4k Up-rez - 4.25

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Last edited:

notmicro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark M
I'm EXTREMELY curious what your opinion is of the varying quality - and availability? - of extant original Technicolor release-prints in general, and in particular what you think of using them as primary sources for HD scanning for Blu-ray. Originally there would have been a vast, vast library of prints available for rental, both from original 3-strip productions up to 1954, and subsequently the great many release-prints created from Eastman etc sources. In theory, their original colors should have held up? I am guessing that such prints may have been the source for more than a few Blu releases (an obviously many DVDs); although their registration may often just be too blurry to use for HD.

My Technicolor-on-Blu dream-fantasy wish-list; if I could only have one, I think that it would be King Solomon's Mines

Becky Sharp (1935)

Down Argentine Way (1940 Fox)

That Night in Rio (1941 Fox)

Week-End in Havana (1941 Fox)

Song of the Islands (1942 Fox)

Lassie Come Home (1943 MGM)

Bathing Beauty (1944 MGM)

Cobra Woman (1944 Universal)

Frenchman's Creek (1944 Paramount)

National Velvet (1944 MGM)

the Spanish Main (1945 RKO)

Duel in the Sun (1946 Selznick)

the Harvey Girls (1946 MGM)

Till the Clouds Roll By (1946 MGM)

Desert Fury (1947 Paramount)

Forever Amber (1947 Fox)

Sinbad, the Sailor (1947 RKO)

Romance on the High Seas (1948 Warner)

the Three Musketeers (1948 MGM)

Neptune's Daughter (1949 MGM)

King Solomon's Mines (1950 MGM)

Anne of the Indies (1951 Fox)

Flame of Araby (1951 Universal)

Show Boat (1951 MGM)

Against All Flags (1952 Universal)

Road to Bali (1952 Paramount)

Rancho Notorious (1952)

Small Town Girl (1953 MGM)

Secret of the Incas (1954 Paramount)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I have the German Blu-ray disc of this film. I've always been very pleased with it and see no reason to double-dip as this new disc may well stem from the same transfer.

F451

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
My thanks to Kino for releasing this title in the US. To late for me as I had already purchased the Koch release from Germany.

In searching for Randolph Scott films on Blu-ray I was amazed to discover Germany and France release more classic American westerns on Blu-ray than the USA.

Western Union looks fabulous on the German Blu-ray. So does Comanche Station (Einer gibt nicht auf). And check out Clark Gable in The Tall Men (Drei Rivalen). Both are region-free and are beautifully mastered.

Note -- Not all of the Koch Western Legenden titles are region-free so be careful what you order. Koch's Canyon Passage (Feuer am Horizont) does not play on my Sony.

I wish more distributors would release these classic films on the US domestic market. So, thank you Kino for this release!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks