What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Topaz -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

garyrc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary
[Quotes approximate -- it was 54 years ago!]

We saw Topaz in 1969 with Hitchcock present, in a sneak at the Saint Francis in San Francisco. We talked with his wife, Alma, while Hitchcock hid in the theater manager's office (didn't like crowds, you know!). They had come up to observe audience reaction -- from the back, in the dark -- rather than make a public appearance. We didn't know they were there until, after the screening, we spotted Alma in the lobby, leaning against a wall a bit awkwardly, and carrying a big purse and a basket on what would now be called a (woven) sling.
Apparently, our group was the only one to recognize her. "Are you Alma Reville Hitchcock?" "Guilty." She seemed surprised and pleased when we acknowledged her writing on Hitchcock films up through about the 1950s. "Well, we still chew them over endlessly, you know -- the new ones, I mean -- the scripts, the films."

When Hitchcock peeked out of the office, and saw only about 7 or 8 of us left, he willingly came out. He commented that he was concerned about the ending. He asked us what we thought of the film, and we cited the strong beginning, the warm atmosphere in Cuba, the clear ambivalence on the characters faces etc., and lobbied (in the lobby!) for a stereo print to be released because the very dynamic and thrilling (stereo) sound that night worked so well with, fused so well with, the images -- We often got lifeless mono/optical, even though virtually all of the Bay Area theaters were equipped for stereo. Our friend Jerry told him that during the first scene (massed troops marching in Red Square) he thought, "We'll never hear it this way again." Hitch said he would "put in a word" but "Those who pay for the films ... " He was aware we were not overwhelmed by the film. "Now that you've accentuated the positive, what should I be out of sorts about?" We admitted it did not seem to have the tautness it could have had, and that it seemed to be more of a Leon Uris vehicle than a Hitchcock one. "Yes, well -- too many cooks. We'll go home and strain the broth." People hung around and chatted with him about his other films for a while, then his limo pulled up in front. This was on Market Street, about 11:30, on a hot night. When he was seated in the back of the limo, he rolled down the window waved tentatively at us, then as the car began to pull out, along came three well stoned hippies, in full beaded and feathered regalia. One of them went into a Mad magazine type freak/shock reaction -- you know, mouth open, forehead pulled back, eyes wide -- pointed at the car, panning with his finger to follow its slow progress away from the curb, and said, without quite believing it, "Alfred Hitchcock ?" Hitch leaned out of the window, made eye contact, grinned his broad bad boy grin, extended his arm with his fingers making a " V " -- and said in his slow drawn out voice, stretching out the word about as far as it could go, "Peace."

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I recently watched the 125 minute theatrical version on a German Blu-ray which has the abrupt suicide ending. The film was a lot better than I remember it but I’d only previously seen the long version (despite being a Hitchcock fan, for some reason I never went to see the film when it first opened). I think the first half of the film is excellent with several major suspense elements but after the Cuba scenes it seems to drag, with a lot of routine dialogue and then the film suddenly ends with no climax or sense of where the film was heading. Of all the endings I prefer the airplanes version, even though it’s unrealistic but not as unrealistic as the alternative original duel ending which seems terribly far-fetched.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Okay, based on someone's earlier post, I watched the UHD of Topaz on Hudu last night. And it's the theatrical version NOT the extended version. So, are both on the 4K disc or not? And if not, what exactly are they showing on Vudu because other than having okay color, it doesn't really look like all that much. What gives here?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think the 4K has only the extended 143 minute version, from viewing the info on the back at Amazon. Alternate endings are a bonus feature.

1699910761606.png

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Okay, based on someone's earlier post, I watched the UHD of Topaz on Hudu last night. And it's the theatrical version NOT the extended version. So, are both on the 4K disc or not? And if not, what exactly are they showing on Vudu because other than having okay color, it doesn't really look like all that much. What gives here?
The extended version is on the US and UK discs, the theatrical is on the European discs.

midvalleyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I wrote about this 2009 Hitchcock DVD box set recently in a different thread. Picked it up for a dollar at my local op shop (thrift store). The Topaz running time is 147 minutes (Region 2 & 4, PAL) with the airport ending. Among the extras it has the alternative endings Duel and Suicide, the Making Of doco with Leonard Maltin, and Storyboards. For reasons unkown, it is displayed in a 4:3 aspect ratio, not 16:9.

Attachments

• boxset.jpg
    boxset.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 19

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I get it. So why is Vudu showing the theatrical and is it just an uprezzed UHD? Or did they scan BOTH versions?
These digital services pull their files not only from the USA but also from other countries. I think somebody just made a mistake and pulled the European digital file of Topaz instead of the USA digital file. They might correct that mistake in time once they realized the error.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I decided to buy the theatrical release on the French 4k. It's my favourite of the later Hitchcock films, good cast with Frederick Stafford (who came to films late and sadly died early) and Karin Dor, who I think is unique in being both a Bond girl and Hitchcock heroine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks