What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Revenant -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's all part of a learning / training experience. Part getting hardware and software to play nicely together. Part learning what it is that one is seeing, and how to differentiate.

Fox's new 4k release of Mr. Inarritu's brilliant The Revenant, is all the more important in the new highest definition 4k incarnation, as photographed by Emmanuel Lubezki, because of the way that it was shot.

Low and natural light, shadows and darkness.

I've now seen the film three times in three different home video incarnations.

First on DVD, followed by Blu-ray, and finally in 4k UHD.

Each time the film was viewed via a properly calibrated 4k projector, up-rezzing data that was not in actual 4k.

Here's my take on what I'm seeing.

The DVD tells the story, but disallows any real understanding of the cinematography.

The Blu-ray, which is much more involving from all aspects at six times the resolution of DVD, is extremely helpful with contrast and color.

Finally, the UHD disc adds HDR and another four times resolution. You're now twenty-four times the resolution of DVD, although in some cases that extra resolution is less apparent when viewing an up-rezzed Blu-ray vs. a non up-rezzed Blu-ray.

But with at least a third or more resolution over a quality up-rez, tied with HDR, the imagery becomes amazingly different, and the larger the screen the better.

As an example, there's a shot at the very beginning of the attack early in the film, in which a man is seen falling to his knees in the far right background. In the foreground, we have a fire, frontiersmen, smoke, and between the fore and back grounds, an area, as I recall a small incline, that is measurably highlighted, and missing information and detail.

In the up-rezzed Blu-ray there's very little detail on the incline. The flames are obvious. You can count the fingers on the men in the foreground.

In 4k HDR, the incline takes on values and detail. The flames pop, and the details of the fingers become more pronounced. Shadow detail is astounding.

It's important to keep in mind, that The Revenant is one of but a handful of true 4k discs currently available, but it tells the story loud and clear.

Fox's 4k UHD release of The Revenant is the poster child for what a 4k disc can, and should be.

Audio, in DTS-HD MA 7.1 is rich and full, with wonderful surround and height, but I cannot but think how more spot on details could be with Dolby Atmos.

From what I'm experiencing, my advice to those who are even considering picking up 4k in the future is simple.

Buy the 4k / Blu-ray release, and be prepared to be amazed once you make the move.

It's one of the most perfect home video releases I've ever experienced. Absolute perfection.

And this is not a matter of loving Osetra, Beluga, or Sevruga and purchasing Lumpfish caviar, because of a prohibitive cost.

The up-charge to the dual pack with 4k / Blu-ray is $7.

Image - 5*

Audio - 4.5 (lack of Dolby Atmos, as originally presented)

4k - 5*

Pass / Fail - Pass

Extremely Highly Recommended

RAH

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Fox and Target knocked the pricing on this out of the park. My local Best Buy was sold out on Tuesday afternoon, and I only managed to get hold of the last copy at Target. One assumes that, given demographics, Fox are poised to top Fury Road in 4K units sold, and then The Revenant with Deadpool in early May.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting as I watched the Blu-ray last Friday night (set-up: Chad B pro calibrated JVC RS4810 at 124" on a Stewart ST100 scope screen). I was thinking how great it looked and wondered, "Just how much more detail can 4K really provide?!". You answered the question, Robert.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's interesting as I watched the Blu-ray last Friday night (set-up: Chad B pro calibrated JVC RS4810 at 124" on a Stewart ST100 scope screen). I was thinking how great it looked and wondered, "Just how much more detail can 4K really provide?!". You answered the question, Robert.

My pleasure. Consider me your home theater concierge...

But it's far more than just detail.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Finally a movie worth buying in UHD, shot natively in 4K and not for 3D. Now if only the players would arrive. In the meantime I will be watching the blu-ray until I can buy a player other than a Samsung.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So...

Is this UHD's "Baraka"?

(My meaning is for those that remember many BD reviews saying..."reason enough, by itself, to get a player"...)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Having watched the Blu-Ray earlier this evening, and being thrilled by the wonderful imagery; I can only imagine how lovely the 4K UHD release must look on a quality front projection setup. Deeply envious of those who can experience this film in that manner.

- Walter.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
You actually subjected yourself to watching the whole movie on DVD? Why? I understand that low-rez DVDs are necessary for people who don't have the proper setups, but for the rest of us they are less than useless.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
High praise indeed, Mr. Harris. I'm sure Sir David Lean and Freddie Young would have been equally impressed. And this bearing in mind that the 4K UHD disc is substantially compressed compared to the DCP. It is a joy witnessing the dawn of digital large format movies. Not only seeing the Arri Alexa 65 digital camera's astounding resolution and dynamic range on a huge cinema screen surpassing what Ultra Panavision 70 can achieve on the same evening. But for the first time an ordinary person like myself is really able to experience cinema at home like Martin Scorsese does. This is as exciting to me as when I first watched 8 mm prints on the wall of our living room when I was five years old. I remember when I purchased my first projector nearly 20 years ago and invited friends around to see the West Side Story LaserDisc with a DTS soundtrack. The crushing feeling of disappointment watching a very blurry picture on a 120 inch screen with washed out colours - I don't think we could differentiate between the Jets or the Sharks then! The DVD wasn't a whole lot better picture-wise and the sound was much worse than on the LD. The experience wasn't even close to watching it in the cinema. 2K resolution and blu ray discs have revolutionized home theatre during the last 10 years. The 4K UHD West Side Story disc may not materialize but maybe it will be available for 4K streaming in the future. Meanwhile, I shall look forward to inviting friends round to see The Revenant - at least the first 20 minutes, which will now replace Gravity as the demonstration disc to awe the initiated!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You actually subjected yourself to watching the whole movie on DVD? Why? I understand that low-rez DVDs are necessary for people who don't have the proper setups, but for the rest of us they are less than useless.

Viewing toward nominations. Initially a DVD was supplied, followed by a Blu, once the nomination for cinematography was locked.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I thought by now all screeners would be Blu-ray. That's too bad. Is it because of piracy concerns?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I thought by now all screeners would be Blu-ray. That's too bad. Is it because of piracy concerns?

Cost and compatibility. Even people who work in the film industry are much more likely to have DVD players than blu-ray ones.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
skipping everything but visuals ,I thought Emmanuel Lubezki work on Knight of Cups was his highlight,and that looked better to my eyes
(also 4k) Of course it didn't take place in the gloomy mist and mud of the Revenant

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
So far, I own just a single 4K Blu-ray title, and 'The Revenant' is that title. I do own a 4K UHD TV (75"), but it is not HDR. I do not yet own a 4K UHD Blu-ray player, but I will someday when prices reach the realm of reasonable. When that finally happens, I am looking forward to the opportunity to A/B compare the standard Blu-ray with the 4K Blu-ray on my 4K TV. Without HDR, I'm not sure the differences will be as huge as they could have been, but I still look forward to the comparison.

I purchased the 4K version of 'The Revenant' because it was only $5 more than the standard Blu-ray version. If that difference had been $10, I would NOT have purchased the 4K version.

Mark

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Toward full transparency, I received a call last evening from Kris Deering, who knows of what he speaks, and was informed that unless I was doing something special, I was not receiving proper HDR, from the Samsung, going to the Sony 665.

Samsung is said to be working on a firmware update.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I was just going to ask that question: those of you watching the UHD BD, how do you know what you're supposed to be seeing since HDR offers no calibration abilities as I understand it?

Other than a gamma variance, I guess I have a better sense of "security" for lack of better words watching calibrated in rec 709.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I was just going to ask that question: those of you watching the UHD BD, how do you know what you're supposed to be seeing since HDR offers no calibration abilities as I understand it?

Other than a gamma variance, I guess I have a better sense of "security" for lack of better words watching calibrated in rec 709.

Test materials are just now becoming available, timed perfectly for the arrival of Samsung's first 4k UHD player, in time for Christmas.

While the Sony projector puts out ample brightness, it's not up to the full HDR spec, that can be viewed on panels, especially OLEDs.

But the gain in resolution isn't fully apparent without size.

Why am I thinking of O'Henry...

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks