What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ghostbusters -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I can't believe that anyone on the original creative side of Ghostbusters would have thought that three decades later, their film would be taking on a very different look, with ghostly audio being heard from more speakers than ever before.

I've spend several hours considering Ghostbusters in 4k, as to what it is, and the reality of the situation is that I don't believe, partially because of the stock on which it was shot, that there was true 4k information to be mined from the original elements.

Ghostbusters was shot on high speed film, and consequently, has a wonderful inherent original grain, and imagery that is never needle sharp, but rather more on the velvety side, with rich blacks.

Comparing the Blu-ray, projected at 4k, to the new 4k UHD release, you'll not pick up detail, as you will, for example in The Revenant, or more recent productions shot on film, especially large format,but you do get something very special, which should determine whether Ghostbusters in 4k is for you.

What you'll see on screen is an absolutely rock-solid, fully integrated image, with the perception that you're viewing on an original 35mm print, with zero loss in the image.

Effects are fully cohesive with the production photography, and with HDR, colors and densities take on new parameters.

While in a general sense, I'm against making changes to films with the addition of HDR, or heavily re-mixed audio, here it works, most importantly because the filmmakers can have their say.

The bottom line is that the Columbia's new 4k UHD of Ghostbusters isn't what your father saw back in the day when President Reagan was in the White House.

It's a full re-imagining of a highly popular, and entertaining effects film, for which HDR and Atmos play just as large a part as a 4k presentation.

The point is that where true 4k normally shines, which is our ability to see the delineations of an actors retina, or the petals of a flower, don't come into play here.

Ghostbusters in 4k is a totally different animal.

Once I was able to digest what I was seeing, I became a fan. As an additional check, I ran parts of the film with my main amp shut down, so that only Atmos channels were in play, and once again, it's obvious that Atmos places strategic sounds where they are meant to be, with zero bleed.

Ghostbusters in 4k is a solid offering.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I still have my Criterion laserdisc of Ghostbusters along with the original Blu-ray release so when I get my next tv in a couple of years this will be one of the first titles I will get to show on my new 4k tv.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Call me crazy, but when this was announced a few months ago as a UHD title I decided I would be entering the world of 4K. Because of this one title.
I love the film, and seeing it at 12 years old in the theater with my two best friends in 1984 was one of the best memories I have. As an adult the film loses nothing from when I first saw it. it is still fun, and scary.

Thank you Robert for the review. I can't wait to get my 4K setup and watch this.
I might even call up Jim, and Chandra, and ask if they want to have a movie night with me to relive a great summer evening from 30 some years ago.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I thought I would make mention as there may be some confusion. In 2013 Sony released a stop-gap format to help sell 4K (UHD) TVs before there was a UHD standard. Similar to the "Superbit" DVDs these releases only feature the movie with no extras and were christened "MASTERED IN 4K".

I was in Fry's electronics recently and next to the UHD discs in the black cases were some of these discs at $9.99 they were in blue cases.

They are still 1080p but also have XvYCC support.

As the following article for Austalians indicates one of the films released in this format (in addition to Ghostbusters) was LOA..

http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-mastered-in-4k-blu-rays-a-mixed-blessing/

My recollection of the original release was that virtually all of the copies of LOA in this format were gone (sold) within two months

91PSvStlh4L._SL1500_.jpg

This may not be the 4K you are looking for

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
My copy's already on the way, along with GBII for good measure. Can. Not. Wait.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
So, the filmmakers were involved in this release? If so, I have no problem with it. My concern is HDR'ing titles where they are not involved.

I have the Mastered in 4K Blu and it looks excellent. When I eventually get a 4K projector, I will pick this up.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
So, the filmmakers were involved in this release? If so, I have no problem with it. My concern is HDR'ing titles where they are not involved.

I have the Mastered in 4K Blu and it looks excellent. When I eventually get a 4K projector, I will pick this up.

Were the filmmakers involved in this? There's no mention of it in the press release. Cinematographer Laszlo Kovacs couldn't have been involved, as he died in 2007. I hope Reitman was consulted.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
So my fair lady is not ok for HDR but Sony going all revionist on the audio and video is fine?
And the audio is placed where it should be?
Yeah everyone in the 80s loved that object based roof array sound
Do as I say don't do as I do?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So my fair lady is not ok for HDR but Sony going all revionist on the audio and video is fine?
And the audio is placed where it should be?
Yeah everyone in the 80s loved that object based roof array sound
Do as I say don't do as I do?

Totally different film stocks, concepts and the possibility for approvals.

Would I have done it?

No.

But I don't find Ghostbusters particularly relevant to 4k.

What Columbia has given us, is a 4k version of something that doesn't need 4k. It looks superb, but so would the Blu, uprezzed.

It's beautiful, but rather like the need to drive a 12 cylinder vehicle on a crowded freeway. I'm not certain that it accogmplishes much, beyond the desired sizzle illuminating the new theatrical version.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

So it sounds like this is the case where the Mastered in 4K Blu-ray (which I assume was included with the UHD BD) is a competitive viable option for someone who wants to shy away from any possible HDR revision and stick with SDR?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The Mastered in 4K disc is included in the Ultra HD package. Basically a win-win if you watch the 4K disc and decide you don't like it.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Soooooo if you still think 4k is a waste of time, Ghostbusters (which has ALWAYS looked crappy on home video) will not convince you other wise?

Makes my life easier.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Soooooo if you still think 4k is a waste of time, Ghostbusters (which has ALWAYS looked crappy on home video) will not convince you other wise?

Makes my life easier.

Ghostbusters looks superb in 4k. HDR timing is an interesting experiment.

The final result appears to be a projected 35mm print, with all grain structure intact.

My comments re: the need for the film in 4k, should not be confused with the final result.

For those with 4k, this is a win-win, as has been noted above. Don't care for the HDR, pop in the Blu and let your system uprez.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I suppose another option too albeit 'stickier', is to find a way to watch the UHD BD by stripping out the HDR converting to SDR in order to still get the wider color gamut. I've heard of people doing this, but not sure of the results or whether it's actually worthwhile.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The Mastered in 4K disc is included in the Ultra HD package. Basically a win-win if you watch the 4K disc and decide you don't like it.

Someone Made s side by side comparison of the 2009 Bluray and the 2013 Mi4K version. I'm not sure of the methodology used, and that may have some effect, but the color timing (and clarity) are clearly different between the two versions (note: there ARE spoilers and this is NOT the disc RAH reviewed)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Makes my life easier.
If you don't want HDR, spring for the Mastered in 4K version. Runs about $8 alone and $15 in a digibook with GB2. YMMV.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from the Fathom event for this. Was it in 4K? It looked great and the auditorium I saw it in does have a 4K projector. As long as Fathom shipped out the 4K DCP then it was 4k. No HDR however, but they did have a screen showing the UHD BD covers of the movie up before showing it. It looked great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks