What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Princess Bride -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
MGM's new Blu-ray of The Princess Bride is a stunning upgrade from standard definition. For those who have not yet discovered this brilliantly told fairy tale from the pen of screenwriting legend William Goldman (Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, All the President's Men, Marathon Man) you're in for a treat.

Both image and audio are delivered in proper fashion, replicating the cinema experience.

Short, sweet, simple. A necessity for any serious film library.

From a purely distribution perspective, I applaud the decision to release an SD disc along with the Blu-ray. This mix of formats is beginning to appear in a handful of new releases, and I'd much rather see an extra disc used for this purpose than for viewing on one's iPhone, as it enables those considering the move to Blu-ray, who do not have a previous release of the film, to have to acquire the best of both worlds and not force an upgrade.

Highly Recommended!

RAH

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks for your comments. I will definitely be picking this up.

My own comment re putting the SD extras on a DVD: This is convenient for the studio since IIRC the DVD is the previously-released SE or similar (nice for me because I have the previous release to that). But from a practical/technical standpoint, it is handy to have the SD extras on a DVD because some (many, most??) BD players do not upscale SD extras when they're on BD. And most players do upscaling better than the display device.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

There is also the option of watching Special features and or commentaries without being tied down to the only room you may have a blu-ray player. I don't need the Home Theater exerpience for commentaries and such.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It is also good for the movie when one doesn't want to "fire up the system" (I know, sacrilege). As much as I enjoy watching films in what my wife has dubbed "the man-cave", sometimes it's nice to just turn on the TV and pop in a movie, like my wife and I just did.

bugeyes

Agent
Real Name
simon
Thanks for the info. I was planning to get this for my better half. Knowing the blue-ray version has passed the test, it's reassuring. Checked it out on amazon and it also comes with the standard dvd with all the extra features as well.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

But fair warning--there's...EUWW!! Kissing in it! High-def kissing! Yucky!

celica

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Celica
hmm.. looks like i'll pick this either,, thanks for your information..
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks