What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Princess Bride (1987) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Subscription streaming is equivalent to cable/broadcast, digital purchases are equivalent to physical media, in terms of rights.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It is a personal favourite and eminently quotable.
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

It's arguably the most quotable film ever. In any sizable crowd of fan-type people, all you need is one person quoting one line from it, and it cascades into everyone joining in with other quotes.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Chris Sarandon's most memorable role.

I have the German box, and that is fine for me. If it is the exact same transfer Criterion is using.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Chris Sarandon's most memorable role.
I would argue that Fright Night would compete for that title, but this is a good one too. Also probably different audiences. (BTW, can you believe he'll be 81 next month?)

I've never had a great love for this title, though I've purchased it in several physical formats over the years. I'm pretty sure I have a blu-ray version, which is likely OK for me. Teenage me also thought Cary Elwes was quite handsome (those eyes!) at the time.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'll bite on this one, but I'm wondering if/when this will make its way to Disney+ with a 4K UHD master [remember, StudioCanal holds the video rights,
Actually StudioCanal does NOT own this film as its considered part of the pre-1994 Castle Rock catalog. Home video rights are split between MGM in most of the world and Lionsgate in England and parts of Central Europe (apparently grandfathered in from their days as Vestron).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Actually StudioCanal does NOT own this film as its considered part of the pre-1994 Castle Rock catalog. Home video rights are split between MGM in most of the world and Lionsgate in England and parts of Central Europe (apparently grandfathered in from their days as Vestron).
Fact remains that Disney holds TV and theatrical rights from its absorption of 21st Century-Fox.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The streaming rights are confusing for this one. Disney has it on their service, but it’s an MGM title on iTunes.
Agreed, but as I said, Disney is exercising its broadcast licence for SVOD. Things get weird in digital releases; for example, my iTunes copy of Flash Gordon shows as under MGM, when Universal had North American rights, and it now appears that StudioCanal has control of the film in Europe.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Agreed, but as I said, Disney is exercising its broadcast licence for SVOD. Things get weird in digital releases; for example, my iTunes copy of Flash Gordon shows as under MGM, when Universal had North American rights, and it now appears that StudioCanal has control of the film in Europe.
I have that Flash Gordon one, as well. For a while, both the MGM and Universal copies were available at the same time.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
For those who may be unfamiliar with William Goldman’s book, it’s worth a visit - first edition hardcover only.
Amazing book. I read it years ago, shortly after the movie was released. The chapter concerning Inigo Montoya and his display of swordsmanship, or Cout Rugen's "Zoo of Death" are laugh out loud.

Baenwort

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cee
I think this is movie is tied or in the lead for the one that I've bought the most copies of.

Hope this turns out well and has every extra so I can retire some old edition.

An awesome extra would be if the included the pandemic "Home Movie: Princess Bride" that came out with a lot of stars in it.

It'll never get a disc release on its own but would make a great extra!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My sister was over for a visit so I put in this movie since I had just recently purchased it on 4K blu-ray. Had to pull the disc because I started having pixelization issues along with studder. So I ejected the disc and attempted to clean it which did not solve the problem. So I ended up switching over to my Apple TV and streaming the rest of the movie via Disney + app. Going to try and clean it a second time and see if the problem continues before returning it for exchange for a new disc.

Anyone else having glitches with the video on this title?

20230910_150718.jpg

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Anyone else having glitches with the video on this title?
Yes. It started for me around the time they get to the top of the cliff. I took the disc out and wiped it off with a microfiber cloth, but things did not improve.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Yes....right at the "kiss goodbye" at the farm. Cleaned it and still the problem existed. Put it in my back up player and it was fine...go figure?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Spent more time trying to clean it again and still the same problem but for me it is about right around the time before they climb the cliff. I might try a third time to clean it again but if not I am going to go to Amazon Fresh and return it there for them to send a replacement. If I does it again then I will just flat out return it for refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks