Robert M. Grippo

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
It's just too bad they were the lousy ones, lol
I got the set after I had gotten all the Fox sets Oh no here I go again I like the corny Monograms ever since I became a Eastide Kid fan. Monogram made some fun films they were the films that all tv stations played in the 1940's-80's to keep the lights on! I do remember any stations airing the Oland Fu Manchus and I grew up when PBS Channel 13 showed tons of Paramount's WISH we will see 1935s The Glass Key --- one of my faves.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
They have a certain charm - there are a couple of those that rank higher than the Fox ones for me :)
lady-fainting.gif

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I got the set after I had gotten all the Fox sets Oh no here I go again I like the corny Monograms ever since I became a Eastide Kid fan. Monogram made some fun films they were the films that all tv stations played in the 1940's-80's to keep the lights on! I do remember any stations airing the Oland Fu Manchus and I grew up when PBS Channel 13 showed tons of Paramount's WISH we will see 1935s The Glass Key --- one of my faves.

I'm just giving you both a hard time, lol

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Coming up in 2 weeks. Anyone seen a review with screengrabs? Don't see anything on DVD Beaver.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
But still, you have to watch these with understanding of where and when these were made, and not by todays standards. Even as recent as 70s series like Kung Fu, it was David Carradine that got the lead role.
I'm surprised we're even able to watch fiction anymore, and not just documentary entertainment where the characters all play themselves. But I'm sure that day is coming.
---------------

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
But I'm sure that day is coming.
---------------

Well, at least it would give the perpetual whingers something to legitimately whinge about so it might be refreshing at that.

But considering that I don't believe any of us can name a single title that's actually been banned as yet, (hell, you can even buy Birth of a Nation in 4K and have it delivered to you in a matter of days) I think we have a fair amount of time to wait.

But still, you have to watch these with understanding of where and when these were made, and not by todays standards. Even as recent as 70s series like Kung Fu, it was David Carradine that got the lead role.

Agreed, just so long as we can also agree that neither film nor television exists in a vacuum. These are living, breathing slices of our past that people still watch and are still going to have ever changing opinions about.

MORE discussion about film is not inherently bad and learning that other people might be coming at something from a different lived experience shouldn't do anything other than help us each to grow.

Glenn (CineSavant) Erickson told the story on his blog years ago about showing Mildred Pierce to a female friend of his who was African American. He wasn't expecting her to have any issue with it at all but she went immediately cold at the Butterfly McQueen role. It never occured to him beforehand as he didn't live her same experience. Did it make him reject Mildred Pierce? No, why would it? What it did do was make him realize that there are other perspectives out there and they aren't automatically bad just because they force us to see other experiences besides our own.

(Jumps off Soapbox)

Last edited:

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
But considering that I don't believe any of us can name a single title that's actually been banned as yet, (hell, you can even buy Birth of a Nation in 4K and have it delivered to you in a matter of days) I think we have a fair amount of time to wait.
Many films have been banned in various places at various times for a variety of reasons. Just because something is available today doesn't mean it wasn't banned somewhere in the past. And just because something is available today doesn't mean it won't be banned in the future. None of which addresses my (attempted) implication that too many people today are lacking in imagination and tolerance.
---------------

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, at least it would give the perpetual whingers something to legitimately whinge about so it might be refreshing at that.

Agreed, just so long as we can also agree that neither film nor television exists in a vacuum. These are living, breathing slices of our past that people still watch and are still going to have ever changing opinions about.

MORE discussion about film is not inherently bad and learning that other people might be coming at something from a different lived experience shouldn't do anything other than help us each to grow.

Glenn (CineSavant) Erickson told the story on his blog years ago about showing Mildred Pierce to a female friend of his who was African American. He wasn't expecting her to have any issue with it at all but she went immediately cold at the Butterfly McQueen role. It never occured to him beforehand as he didn't live her same experience. Did it make him reject Mildred Pierce? No, why would it? What it did do was make him realize that there are other perspectives out there and they aren't automatically bad just because they force us to see other experiences besides our own.

(Jumps off Soapbox)
Time to get back on topic as this review thread is about the upcoming Kino release!

1653967618003.png

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Disney has unfortunately become a convenient scapegoat for whenever a film someone wants isn’t available in the format they prefer it in. There was another thread where Disney was bashed repeatedly for not putting the Chan films on Blu-ray. Nevermind that Blu-ray came into existence in 2006, and Disney didn’t own Fox until 2019, it’s as if Fox bears no responsibility for declining to release them in just format in the 13 years they could have. And then, of course, no one wants to take a moment to ask why Fox didn’t. The answer to that is simple: Fox spent a small fortunate putting their Chan films on disc with newly created masters and bonus features, and those releases failed to turn a profit, as did many catalog titles that were brought to DVD by many different studios. That is the number one reason to the question “Why is X title only on DVD?” I often wish that many titles I like would be profitable on newer formats, but unfortunately they’re not. At this point in my collecting years, I’m trying not to dwell on what we haven’t gotten and instead try to appreciate what we did.

That is interesting to read because I remember reading the exact opposite - that the Chan films did very well on DVD to the surprise of the Fox executives. If the Chan films had tanked, I don't think we would have gotten the full Fox series. Remember, Fox did pull the chord on further Betty Grable and Michael Shayne sets after those respective sets failed so it would be sort of odd that they would have permitted five separate Chan volumes if they weren't selling well. Of course, it is very possible for a DVD set to have sold well but still fail to generate a profit. I was hoping that Kino would have been interested when it could deal with Fox a few years back, but I guess that the DVDs will have to suffice.

To get a little more on topic, I do have the Fu Manchu set on pre-order and am looking forward to seeing these films. Also, I have my fingers cross that WAC can work its magic on The Mask of Fu Manchu .

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That is interesting to read because I remember reading the exact opposite - that the Chan films did very well on DVD to the surprise of the Fox executives. If the Chan films had tanked, I don't think we would have gotten the full Fox series. Remember, Fox did pull the chord on further Betty Grable and Michael Shayne sets after those respective sets failed so it would be sort of odd that they would have permitted five separate Chan volumes if they weren't selling well. Of course, it is very possible for a DVD set to have sold well but still fail to generate a profit. I was hoping that Kino would have been interested when it could deal with Fox a few years back, but I guess that the DVDs will have to suffice.

To get a little more on topic, I do have the Fu Manchu set on pre-order and am looking forward to seeing these films. Also, I have my fingers cross that WAC can work its magic on The Mask of Fu Manchu .
You can still find some of the Fox Chans sets reasonable grab them while u can
Oldies still has that great Shayne box for 5.98! https://www.oldies.com/product-view/75368U.html
Looking forward to these films and with RAH's thumbs up even more so! Wish KINO could get Disney-Fox deal Boy oh boy!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
You can still find some of the Fox Chans sets reasonable grab them while u can
Oldies still has that great Shayne box for 5.98! https://www.oldies.com/product-view/75368U.html
Looking forward to these films and with RAH's thumbs up even more so! Wish KINO could get Disney-Fox deal Boy oh boy!
The Michael Shayne set is terrific. The blend of comedy into the story reminded me of the Rockford Files at its best.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I know broadcast rights are different then video rights but wouldn't
a 91 year old film be out of copyright by now?

TCM aired

DAUGHTER OF THE DRAGON​

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks