What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Mask 3D -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Me and Velma ain't dumb...

A week or so ago, I attempted to screen the newly restored The Mask, courtesy of Bob Furmanek's 3-D Film Archive.

And failed.

I had received a standard issue pair of red/green glasses along with the disc, and whilst playing said disc, held said glasses in place, and...

nada.

It turns out that it's all about reading the instructions.

While the Technicolor dye transfer derived red/green sequences are part of the extras on the disc, the actual feature takes advantage of current technology.  Which means, put on your standard issue electronic 3D glasses.

Once Velma figured that out, and explained it, I was fine.

Late to the prime 3D game of 1953-54, this 1961 Canadian production uses the gimmick in a novel way.  Best to allow you to experience that yourselves, if you've not already.

Technically, the Kino / 3-D Film Archive release is superb.  Properly scanned, cleaned, with an original appearing gray scale, and nice black levels, all is well.  Audio goes to 5.1 format from 2.0 for the 3D sequences, which were originally presented in "Electro-Magic Sound."

The release is awash with extras, inclusive of the work of the great Slavko Vorkapich, as well as a newly minted (2014) short film, One Night in Hell, which boasts audio in Dolby Atmos.

Mr. Furmanek gives you your money's worth, as his passion for 3D shines through.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Watched my copy this afternoon and am thrilled to have this one in the 3-D collection.

Beautiful work on the feature, guys! And I love the extras. It's another class act all around.

Thanks to all involved, and to Kino for continuing to have the vision to back these efforts!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I watched it as well today, having just received it in the post. Wonderful black and white picture quality and fun 3D effects plus a great batch of extras. I loved "One Night in Hell" which was brilliantly made and incredibly witty and I was enthralled by those wonderful montage excerpts by Slavko Vorkapich.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I had an opportunity to see The Mask on a big screen at the Anthology Film Archives on Second Avenue in New York City last night . On hand was Bob Furmanek , one of the people responsible for the restoration of this 3D cult classic . Bob was able to give a concise but very informative lecture on the film giving attendees just about every bit of information they needed to enjoy this neglected classic .

The restoration on this movie is amazing, and the audience last night loved it . It's great that this film is back in circulation and also available on home video.

And by the way the Blu-ray looks every bit as good as the beautifully restored 35 mm film did last night .

Highly recommended for lovers of 3D and vintage horrors .

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Saw this cool ad for the World Premiere.

warnerny102761.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks