What's new

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah I get That.
I normally would too but not willing to shell out that kind of money anymore and shelf space is just about full.
I’m seeing these digital sets selling for $25 on the usual trading forums.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yeah I get That.
I normally would too but not willing to shell out that kind of money anymore and shelf space is just about full.
I’m seeing these digital sets selling for $25 on the usual trading forums.
I set a price target of $60 for the LOTR UHD set, so we will see how long it takes for the set to hit my mark. If it doesn't happen, I may end up picking up the digital versions.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
IMO, LOTR reminds me of a couple other films that were not done justice until a 4k release.
Lawrence of Arabia & 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Certainly there are others. A couple that come to mind are Gone With the Wind, Ben-Hur & laugh if you want Oklahoma!
I have the Todd-AO of Oklahoma and find it exquisite but a 4k rendering seems like it would be transcendent.
The Moria sequences have always been a favorite & reference point of fine film making all round.
This version finally does them justice.
I've watched the original and extended versions at home on 1080 projection of all previous formats and at the lamented Cinerama Theater in Seattle.
I've also seen 70mm showings of the above mentioned films at the Cinerama.
This 4k versions on a 77" calibrated OLED are definitive IME.
I'm a happy guy.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I love the Hobbit movies as much as I do Lord Of The Rings and I am glad I got them on disc. I do not want to have to much in digital streaming as if I loose access to the internet then I loose everything digital. And these two sets I wanted the best quality which means disc and so far the first Hobbit movie looks incredible! I have all the movies on blu-ray but wanted the 4K discs after reading how much of an upgrade they are over the blu-rays which did not look bad at all. But if all the movies in both sets are said to look as good as they say and from what I have seen so far I can not wait to see the rest. There are certain movies I will get digital and mostly if I can get them for a good price. I just do not see digital commanding the same prices as a disc and do not feel they are worth as much. Plus on the audio side the disc with Atmos has a lossless core while the digital version has a lossy core for the 7 channel front and surround tracks.

LOTR TH 4K Set.jpg

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Was the colour corrected in the BD version or the latest version? This is the first I've heard mention of the topic.
I never really noticed anything. Could you give me a good sample scene?
Thanks.
Doug

The extended edition of The Fellowship of the Ring on Blu-ray had a horrible blue/green tint added to it that was not present in any other version (The theatrical Blu-ray / The theatrical DVD / The extended edition DVD). It appears they fixed it in this 4K release.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The extended edition of The Fellowship of the Ring on Blu-ray had a horrible blue/green tint added to it that was not present in any other version (The theatrical Blu-ray / The theatrical DVD / The extended edition DVD). It appears they fixed it in this 4K release.

Yeah, all 6 have been re-colorgraded to match and look like they were all shot at the same time. Jackson describes what has been done here:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So like Lucas, he's been futzing around with the FX. Though he claims nothing has really been changed or enhanced, just touched up a bit around the rough edges.

Love how he talks about 20 years ago as "the old days". :lol:

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So like Lucas, he's been futzing around with the FX. Though he claims nothing has really been changed or enhanced, just touched up a bit around the rough edges.

Love how he talks about 20 years ago as "the old days". :lol:
Mr. Jackson speaks the truth.

20 years ago, in terms of cinema, is “the old days.”

Between the 1890s and 1990s technology advanced, but was still basically stable.

Once we acquired digital tools, everything changed, and he and his team have done a brilliant job of bringing these films to 4k.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It is my understanding that the Hobbit discs do not have High Frame Rate versions on them. If UHD discs do not support 48fps natively, would it be possible to interpolate 48fps to 60fps? Just curious about the math. Thanks.

Well normally in a 3:2 pull down, you add 1/5 of a frame artificually to every one frame per 41 milliseconds. However in this case you add about 1/4 of a frame every 21 milliseconds.

...maybe I have honestly no idea. HFR was a stupid idea and it deserved to fail. James Cameron is an idiot. That is all.

Last edited:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Hello, everyone. Been a minute :)

These films are THE reason I joined HTF back in the old days. These were the movies that made it clear I would never be happy watching them on a TV, and so I needed to start doing research on projection options and upscaling options (since all we had was DVD, for the most part.)

Almost 20 years later, I feel like I'm finally there. These are THE FILMS. No edge enhancement nightmares like on the DVDs, no DNR nightmares like on the original Blu Rays, not green tint of death like on the extended Blu Rays. As much as it may feel like an exaggeration in a forum full of actual film experts, these feel like I finally own my personal set of prints. It's unbelievable.

Couldn't be happier.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I never bought into what we were told back then...that the blanket green tint (even seen on credits) was director's intent.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

Peter Jackson: "I should make it clear, we didn't upgrade or enhance any of the effects shots. They're exactly the same as you're used to seeing them, except they do look as if they were done today rather than twenty years ago."

Well, that's as clear as mud! Are the effects shots exactly the same as we're used to seeing them, or do they look like they were done today? These are two very different things!

It's remarkable how he can directly contradict himself within the same sentence without catching a breath.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I take that to mean that the effects are the same but the image quality is better. There was actually a very large model unit on these films so the 4k scans and HDR could make them look better.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I take that to mean that the effects are the same but the image quality is better.

But he also says that they painted out "imperfections," which suggests that someone went in with a digital paintbrush to update and make improvements to the CGI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks