What's new

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have a TON of Bonus Features on Bluray from the past sets. :) All I Want and Need are the films in 4K UHD ;)

Yeah, that's why I said earlier that I think most people should be fine with this set vs. the Super Dee Duper package coming in 2021.

Sure, they've extended the carrot that there'll be NEW bonus materials with the 2021 set, but really - how much material of value can be left in the can?

The prior releases were pretty damned exhaustive!

Of course, anyone who likes "LOTR" but not "Hobbit" gets semi-screwed with the 2021 release since it includes both, and I kinda doubt it'll go for a price that makes the unwanted "Hobbit" flicks "free"!

One must assume the 2021 set will retail for $200+...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Best Buy has some Collector's Edition set of the LotR films on sale this week for $149.99. Not sure what all it contains:

full

Plus steelbook releases of the 4k LotR and Hobbit trilogies for $119.99 apiece.

full

full

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will be getting the 4K release of both movies despite currently owning them on blu-ray and still holding on to the LOTR DVD box sets as well. Will look into the collectors edition to see if that is the better choice or if I will stay with the steelbook sets from BB.

LOTR Hobbit pre4K.jpg

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Ironically, a 4-volumed hard-bound boxed-set of Tolkien’s source work plus “The Hobbit” goes only for $49.99.

Placed in that light, the bare-bones 4K/UHD set at $89.99 for the trilogy, alone, will be sufficient enough for me.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Ironically, a 4-volumed hard-bound boxed-set of Tolkien’s source work plus “The Hobbit” goes only for $49.99.

Placed in that light, the bare-bones 4K/UHD set at $89.99 for the trilogy, alone, will be sufficient enough for me.
You mean these films have been novelized? :D !

WillG

Senior HTF Member
or wait until next summer and get the deluxe set that’s supposed to include all the new and old bonus material.

According to the bits, the ultimate set will not include any of the old bonus materials except possibly the commentaries. And that only one new unknown extra will be produced (Don’t know if that’s per film or one new feature in total)

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
It is my understanding that the Hobbit discs do not have High Frame Rate versions on them. If UHD discs do not support 48fps natively, would it be possible to interpolate 48fps to 60fps? Just curious about the math. Thanks.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Jackson has been saying for years that that he purposely held back some of the best content for a truly "ultimate" release. More deleted footage and behind the scenes stuff. There was also talk of extending the extended versions. But WB didn't want to pay for it to be included on the last "ultimate" set. So it will be interesting to see just what is included on the next "ultimate" set to entice consumers to buy it again. I'm going to wait until it's announced to make my decision.

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
Was the colour corrected in the BD version or the latest version? This is the first I've heard mention of the topic.
I never really noticed anything. Could you give me a good sample scene?
Thanks.
Doug

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Have any of you considered buying the digital versions on iTunes?

I got the sets for less then $30 each and iTunes includes what appears to be most if not all the supplemements.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Have any of you considered buying the digital versions on iTunes?

I got the sets for less then $30 each and iTunes includes what appears to be most if not all the supplemements.
The LOTR trilogy is something I want on disc, so I am waiting for a price drop for that set. I already have streaming HD versions of the Hobbit films, and don't really care to spend any more money to upgrade them to 4K. I just didn't care for them that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks