What's new

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I will still support these releases in hopes of more. We can’t complain that our favorite title is not being released if we don’t support.
I have a tendency to wait until the week of or even a few days after release to order a title but I pre-ordered this way in advance specifically to show support for the title and hopefully other Lewtons.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I will still support these releases in hopes of more. We can’t complain that our favorite title is not being released if we don’t support.
I disagree because to sell a product you need to make the pricing reasonable enough to your consumer base. I don't think paying $27.00 for a 66 minute "B" film is reasonable. A majority of fans of these classic films are on fixed incomes. I can't blame them for not shelling out monies for them.

Last edited:

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
It looks beautiful. They have obviously cleaned it because there is no spec of dirt or scratches anywhere. Bonus material is minimal. There is the awesome commentary by William Friedkin. He is a national treasure. I never get tired of watching this film. These Val Lewton films get better every time I watch them. They are packed with good acting, textured scripts, and precision directing. They are so believable and real. Thanks, Shout Factory! First rate in all departments. I know there are complaints that these are expensive and should be in a boxed set or double features, which I understand. But these are handled by Shout Factory with such loving care, I think we should support them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It looks beautiful. They have obviously cleaned it because there is no spec of dirt or scratches anywhere. Bonus material is minimal. There is the awesome commentary by William Friedkin. He is a national treasure. I never get tired of watching this film. These Val Lewton films get better every time I watch them. They are packed with good acting, textured scripts, and precision directing. They are so believable and real. Thanks, Shout Factory! First rate in all departments. I know there are complaints that these are expensive and should be in a boxed set or double features, which I understand. But these are handled by Shout Factory with such loving care, I think we should support them.
I think many of us support Shout Factory the best we can based on our disposable income. I've bought several of their releases including The Body Snatcher, Universal Horror Collection Volume 1, Return of the Vampire, This Island Earth and some others. At their price point, tough decisions have to be made, especially, for retirees like myself. To ignore one of the reasons why sales are down is turning a blind eye to the problem.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I have bought all the Lewton releases; however, I agree with Robert above. The price point makes one hesitate quite a bit since I am also on a fixed income.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Has anyone inside information about whether SHOUT! plans to continue with Lewton releases? I am not a Facebook or Instagram, etc. person so I have to rely on forums here and elsewhere.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Surprise, surprise I bought this Blu-ray from B&N using a coupon that lowered my purchase price to the $20 mark. Watching the disc now and it looks beautiful. I'm going to try to listen to the Friedkin commentary too.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Both commentaries are very good. The new one is more informative on the background and history, however, there's something about the Friedkin commentary that I love. His love for Val Lewton and this film in particular is beautiful and infectious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks