What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The King's Man -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm a reasonably unrelenting fan of the Kingsman series, which arrived in 2015 as The Secret Service, and was followed up two years hence with The Golden Circle. Now new have the third, The King's Man, which returns to the early days of the 20th century.

The first film was great fun. The second a bit less so, and the third, although beautifully produced, drops yet another peg. The overall tenor of them comes via Matthew Vaughn, whose Kick-Ass was a delight.

The film was shot generally large format, completed in 2k, and looks fine in projection, with a bit of help from nicely applied HDR. Post houses are getting far less heavy-handed. Think Unforgiven.

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Recommended

RAH

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm a reasonably unrelenting fan of the Kingsman series, which arrived in 2015 as The Secret Service, and was followed up two years hence with The Golden Circle. Now new have the third, The King's Man, which returns to the early days of the 20th century.

The first film was great fun. The second a bit less so, and the third, although beautifully produced, drops yet another peg. The overall tenor of them comes via Matthew Vaughn, whose Kick-Ass was a delight.

The film was shot generally large format, completed in 2k, and looks fine in projection, with a bit of help from nicely applied HDR. Post houses are getting far less heavy-handed. Think Unforgiven.

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Recommended

RAH
You covered all the bases, but one: Vaughn's X-Men: First Class and Stardust are also delightful.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Recommended

RAH
Kind of surprised you didn't have anything to say about the scene where they tossed a roll of (presumably nitrate) movie film into the fireplace. Shouldn't that have exploded?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Kind of surprised you didn't have anything to say about the scene where they tossed a roll of (presumably nitrate) movie film into the fireplace. Shouldn't that have exploded?
Did I miss that?

How large a roll?

Normally, it would just go “fssst…”

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I can’t recall how large the roll was, but I was half-expecting it to do more than just melt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks