What's new

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I watched the movie in its entirety on 4K disc and I'm a happy camper. The video presentation in 4K/HDR looks really good and is definitely a step up from the Blu-ray. I compared a couple of sequences from the 4K digital that doesn't have any HDR applied to it against the disc with 4K/HDR and you can tell where the color space gives the disc a more vibrant look. Furthermore, the Dolby Atmos track is really impressive and in my humble opinion, one of the best Atmos tracks from that film era. I need to compare it to the LOA 4K disc, but I don't remember that 4K disc sounding as impressive as this one. Perhaps, I'm misremembering, but even if I am, the 4K disc of "The Guns of Navarone" deserves a shout out for excellence.

Crawdaddy,

Is the new Blu-ray an upgrade over the old one or just a reissue?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Crawdaddy,

Is the new Blu-ray an upgrade over the old one or just a reissue?
Can confirm - the blu ray is identical to the 2011 release. The UHD is an improvement, especially the sound.
IMG_5901.jpg

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Unusually, I'm finding it hard to interpret the reviews for the 4k disc. Am I going to buy it and think 'is that it'!
It's not up to the level of Oliver! or Anatomy Of A Murder, but I still think the UHD is better than the blu-ray.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Unusually, I'm finding it hard to interpret the reviews for the 4k disc. Am I going to buy it and think 'is that it'!
A new Blu-ray would have done the job just fine. This could also have been said for Anatomy of a Murder or Oliver!

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I had a "The Guns of Navarone" playset as a child, complete with large plastic mountain, working elevator, and lots of plastic army men. I've never owned this film on Blu-ray, so it sounds like I won't be disappointed with this release.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
A new Blu-ray would have done the job just fine. This could also have been said for Anatomy of a Murder or Oliver!
No - not projected onto a large screen. I've compared the blu-ray and UHD for Anatomy Of A Murder. The grain is better resolved and the grayscale is more nuanced.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps for you, but I'm very happy that wasn't the case and that we got 4K discs.
Me, too, I was just answering to Keith Cobby. I usually prefer 4k discs because of the way film grain is handled which is why they almost always look better even when coming from the same master.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
No - not projected onto a large screen. I've compared the blu-ray and UHD for Anatomy Of A Murder. The grain is better resolved and the grayscale is more nuanced.
Agreed that grain is almost always better resolved, 4k seems to be the sweet spot for doing justice to 35mm film grain.
I always watch on a projection setup and find that film grain is also the reason why I cannot warm up to streaming - it destroys film grain to a degree that is shocking but given the bitrates that are used not really surprising.

The point that was made by RAH seemed to me that coming from the same master the Blu-ray could have been even closer to the 4k version than it currently is, minus HDR of course that not everybody sees as an improvement.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Am I correct in saying the included Blu-ray with the 4K version is updated to this new restoration? Think I read that somewhere and that applies to all the Blu-Ray discs in this particular Columbia series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks