What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Lil Brutto

Agent
Real Name
LB
Check out the podcast, hosted by Devan Scott & Will Ross of Film Formally, which talks about the history of home releases of this film and some info on the upcoming Kino UHD release:

http://sadhillmedia.com/filmformally/s3e10-gbu

A news article that highlights Will & Devan’s efforts to preserve the International Cut caught the attention of Kino who contacted them, and they put Kino’s people in touch with knowledgeable fans to help out with KL's restoration of the International Cut using the MGM/L’Immagine Ritrovata 4K master available to them and filling in some spots with 35mm scans.

Here’s the link to their National Post article:

https://nationalpost.com/entertainm...-the-ugly-without-permission-or-authorization

You can find a wealth of info about the history of home releases and their issues here:

Last edited:

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
A Fistful of Dollars has a really solid 2007 restoration by Ripley's FIlm that's available in Italy and Germany. I own the German release that was a two-pack with For a Few Dollars More (which uses the MGM transfer). I don't recall if it's Region locked though. The Kino disc is from a newer restoration by L'Immagine Ritrovata. Detail is good but colors are a nuked green/yellow like their TGTB&TU restoration. Maybe Kino can do something about this if they release a 4K version.

The Kino disc of For a Few Dollars More is very good and I recommend it. The MGM transfer looks far too over-sharpened and I find it unpleasant in motion, but it may have a bit more footage.

Thanks.
Might get A few Dollars More by Kino and wait for a possible 4k release of A Fistful Of Dollars.

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
All these color gradings changes raise a question to me : do we know how the color corrections performed for the new Kino release have been supervised, what was the technical workflow for those ?
Was it entirely done outside of Ritrovata ? Did Kino went back upstream with Ritrovata before the grading stage and re-did stuff with them ? If so, what was then requested as a target ? If not, what did Kino as a reference to match ? Were they looking at matching a reference or only removing Ritrovata's color stamp ?

I'm asking because I know Ritrovata is working on dialing down their stamp, and I wonder if that might have been the opportunity for them to revise their color grading for the movie.

Jordan Krug

Stunt Coordinator
All these color gradings changes raise a question to me : do we know how the color corrections performed for the new Kino release have been supervised, what was the technical workflow for those ?
Was it entirely done outside of Ritrovata ? Did Kino went back upstream with Ritrovata before the grading stage and re-did stuff with them ? If so, what was then requested as a target ? If not, what did Kino as a reference to match ? Were they looking at matching a reference or only removing Ritrovata's color stamp ?

I'm asking because I know Ritrovata is working on dialing down their stamp, and I wonder if that might have been the opportunity for them to revise their color grading for the movie.

Kino had to work from Ritrovata's already corrected master (the yellow/green version). I've been told that they attempted to get the pregraded scans but were denied.

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
Thanks, that's precisely what I wondered regarding this part of the workflow. I guess the question now is what Kino aimed to do with this new grading : matching a reference (if so, which one ?) or simply eliminating the color stamp.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Here's a comparison video of all 3 blu-ray releases so far. 2017 looks to be the best of the 3 as 2008 is too yellow looking and 2021 is too dark.

I have a couple of questions:
1. I have the restored extended version from 2009 (as stated on the cover). I assume it has the same problems as the 2008. Can the problems be corrected at the TV by a change of settings?
1. Does anyone know the provenance of (or can comment on) the 4K version streaming at Amazon Prime?
Thanks in advance.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have a couple of questions:
1. I have the restored extended version from 2009 (as stated on the cover). I assume it has the same problems as the 2008. Can the problems be corrected at the TV by a change of settings?
1. Does anyone know the provenance of (or can comment on) the 4K version streaming at Amazon Prime?
Thanks in advance.
If that comparison down-rezzes well, and is truly representative, I see the new KL 4k as the absolute winner. Most viewers will take the slight black crush in stride. It's hands down far better than the others.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I revisited some of the 2014 MGM disc last night. Aside from the notorious color issues, the compression seemed less-than-tight too. Looking forward to the Kino release.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
If that comparison down-rezzes well, and is truly representative, I see the new KL 4k as the absolute winner. Most viewers will take the slight black crush in stride. It's hands down far better than the others.
Thanks, in that case, I'll wait for the KL 2021 to be released as a regular Blu-ray (I'd accept a gift, too). I don't have a 4K player and don't dare buy one for fear of upgraditis. I've been thru four home video cycles (VHS, laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray) and can no longer justify another cycle.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I like what I'm seeing in that comparison video. Judging by that, the 2021 KL 4K looks fantastic IMO. If the actual disc looks as good as that video, we're in for a treat.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Thanks, in that case, I'll wait for the KL 2021 to be released as a regular Blu-ray (I'd accept a gift, too). I don't have a 4K player and don't dare buy one for fear of upgraditis. I've been thru four home video cycles (VHS, laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray) and can no longer justify another cycle.

it has a regular Blu in the package. Since they already have a blu edition of this movie, i doubt it will get another one

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks