What's new

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Caps of the new Blu vs the MGM:

I could never bring myself to watch the MGM version that had great textures and detail but horrible colors and now I can say that Kino did a very good job fixing what to me looks like a tragic judgement error in color grading that it seems has been repeated in similar fashion for a number of other movies over an extended period of time.

As one can see very well in the second comparison Kino went a bit overbord with pulling down the brightness so that they crushed the shadows which is unfortunate. Other than that a very solid effort and from what I can see easily the best version that is currently available. Time to replace that Mondo version!

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'll be happy to read your opinion when you've, you know, seen the disc. But I guess we know what it is, since you think compressed YouTube videos represent what a 4K transfer might look like :) And you actually admit you haven't seen the "horrible colors" on your own set.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I'll be happy to read your opinion when you've, you know, seen the disc. But I guess we know what it is, since you think compressed YouTube videos represent what a 4K transfer might look like :) And you actually admit you haven't seen the "horrible colors" on your own set.

Haha, nice try. Those are comparisons from caps-a-holic that I linked to.
No comment on the youtube video as I have no idea how it was produced.

I own both the original yellow/new MGM Blu-ray that I bought very soon after it was released and the itunes UHD version, too that I bought when it was available last year. Looked like the same master and color timing was used for both, so no King and I moment with that itunes version. If you are interested I compared both the yellow MGM and the yellow itunes version to the other versions of TGTBATU that I had available and decided that I would wait for a version with better colors and the detail and textures that I liked about the new scan.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Haha, nice try. Those are comparisons from caps-a-holic that I linked to.
No comment on the youtube video as I have no idea how it was produced.

I own both the original yellow/new MGM Blu-ray that I bought very soon after it was released and the itunes UHD version, too that I bought when it was available last year. Looked like the same master and color timing was used for both, so no King and I moment with that itunes version. If you are interested I compared both the yellow MGM and the yellow itunes version to the other versions of TGTBATU that I had available and decided that I would wait for a version with better colors and the detail and textures that I liked about the new scan.
Of course, none of that was clear in your post. Read it, you'll see. I'm anxious to see this new thing - not compare caps. I presume we'll all have it shortly.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Upgrades are a lot of work but turn out to be a worthwhile exercise. I took a look at my 2009 Extended Blu-ray, I believe this is to be the first time on my LG B8 55". Two things are apparent, there is a lack of color saturation and lack of detail (softness) compared with other movies. The saturation can be improved slightly by changing the video settings on my Sony BDPS6700 player from standard to theater room. I don't believe detail can be improved without causing bad side effects.

From the stats at DVDbeaver.com the average bit rates (in Mbps) are: 4K, 59.2; 4K Blu, 26.7; Ext Blu, 31.3. So the new Blu has lower bit rate than the old Blu. They both use the AVC codec so the chance is low that the 4K Blu has significantly more detail. From all the comments here and from the screen shots at DVDbeaver I'm not going to invest more $$$ in TGTB&TU until someone does a new improved 4K scan and makes it available to stream.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Of course, none of that was clear in your post.
Well I linked to the caps and mentioned those were caps so not sure how you could have thought I meant a youtube video.

I'm anxious to see this new thing - not compare caps. I presume we'll all have it shortly.
I will watch TGTBATU with my kids in July or later so I have put it on my to buy list that I will fill up a bit more before I place another order from the US.

Which means a lot of people will have it earlier than me but I will hopefully be very happy with it once we get around to watch it.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Didn't they note that there were no extant prints? Untrue, but one can say it.
One could also say we know it looks wrong and we are just looking for an excuse.

Not sure how many bridges Warner may or may not have burned at that time with private collectors but they should still have been able to find the prints that they own themselves.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One could also say we know it looks wrong and we are just looking for an excuse.

Not sure how many bridges Warner may or may not have burned at that time with private collectors but they should still have been able to find the prints that they own themselves.
This is an MGM property via UA.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Plus standard shipping, which for me would be $8, bringing the total to $31.97. But, at least you have it in-hand.

I also bought two other titles from Kino and my shipping was free. And I got it two days before the release date.
Kino Order 0421.png

Last edited:

Bill Fisher

Agent
Real Name
Bill Fisher
Kino has no interest - what a laugh that is. They had no interest in Flower Drum Song - absolutely not a whiff of interest. And now they're releasing it, with nary a word about what changed their mind. Thus, Kino.
as they did with another Universal musical, SWEET CHARITY. and as they will be doing with another U musical, THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLY.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks