Second Unit
Podcast with two GBU fans about their research on the film -

"Rescuing The Good, the Bad and the Ugly with Benji Heran & Jordan Krug"​

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am looking forward to feedback from those who have watched the new disc. My current go-to for this film is the earlier Kino Blu-ray.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I am looking forward to feedback from those who have watched the new disc. My current go-to for this film is the earlier Kino Blu-ray.

My copy is being delivered today, and I'm interested in comparing it to the 4K streaming version.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Podcast with two GBU fans about their research on the film -

"Rescuing The Good, the Bad and the Ugly with Benji Heran & Jordan Krug"​

We need more guys like Benji and Jordan on that wall...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Despite ordering a week or so before release date, Amazon has my estimate as May 28. Decided to cancel and order through KL along with 2 other movies. One is a preorder not due out until the 4th but I'm hoping they hold a TGTB&TU for me until then (it's listed as still in stock on KL's site). Since I did the free shipping I'm sure they'll send them all out together.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Despite ordering a week or so before release date, Amazon has my estimate as May 28. Decided to cancel and order through KL along with 2 other movies. One is a preorder not due out until the 4th but I'm hoping they hold a TGTB&TU for me until then (it's listed as still in stock on KL's site). Since I did the free shipping I'm sure they'll send them all out together.
Indeed they do.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Please let us know how they compare!
I've done some very preliminary comparisons this afternoon, and it's easy to see that (no surprise here) the streaming 4K version (iTunes via my ATV4K) does NOT include the changes that KL implemented for the 4K disc release. The disc is definitely less yellow and definitely exhibits some black crush compared to the stream. Which one is correct, if either of them are? Who's to say at this point. My layman's opinion is that both are screwed up in different ways. On my 65" LG OLED I find that the KL disc is more pleasing to my eye color-wise, and even though the minor black crush is there it does give the image a bit more depth. I'd also give it the edge on fine detail over the stream. Switching back and forth between them, the amount of yellow in the stream is actually a bit shocking, even though the actual color difference is probably relatively minor. I'll watch the entire KL disc tomorrow.

As I said previously, I would LOVE to see the The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly get a proper 4K treatment and be re-released on physical media, a wish I also have for Once Upon a Time in the West. They're my two favorite Leone films, hands-down.

Last edited:

CobraVerde

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
The shadow detail in this transfer was compromised when L'Immagine Ritrovata had their unflushed train station urinal grade ways with it; this may be the silkiest purse anyone can make out of this sow's ear (without spending tens of thousands on a new scan).
No it wasn't. I've re-graded the entire 2014 MGM disc to match the MOndo and the shadow detail was still there. Kino just crushed it to death, which is a shame.

CobraVerde

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I dunno, is this a regrade of the L'Immagine Ritrovata yellow transfer? I'd think what you'd need is the raw scan to work from, but maybe that doesn't exist anymore, it would take up quite a few terabytes & maybe they needed the computer space.
You would not need the raw scan to work from. I know because I've done it. ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy has delayed my shipment. No estimate. Hmm...
I wonder if there was a run on the bank...I thought I got good news last night when my direct-to-Kino order said "congratulations your order has just been approved for packing". When I placed the order in the morning, the 4K disc was available. When I got that email in the afternoon, I checked their site and the 4K was still in stock. But when I just checked right now on KL, it's "temp out of stock". I still haven't received my final confirmation that it has been packed and is being shipped. Keeping my fingers crossed. I know the margins on discs aren't what they used to be, but it looks like KL may have underestimated how many fans this movie has that are still interested in physical media...

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I am ver-r-r-ry happy with this 4K/UHD of GBU.

Yes, there is a more ahead to be done; which is inclusive of an OCN not readily accessible.

Nonetheless, within such constraints, the advancements made towards appealing to our collective experiences of what is and isn’t GBU definitive has been turned into an exhaustively remarkable victory.

Kudos to Kino, as they knew what they had with Benji Heran and Jordan Krug.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Technical question... How can an 'original camera negative' (OCN) contain opticals (titles, etc.), when those elements are added after the movie is shot? In truth, doesn't the raw material shot with the camera represent the original camera negative? Once this material is removed, duped, edited, and titles/optical fx are added, we would appear to be at least one generation away from the "OCN." Wouldn't OFN (original 'finished' negative), something that acknowledges all this after-shooting work, make more logical sense? Just wondering...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Technical question... How can an 'original camera negative' (OCN) contain opticals (titles, etc.), when those elements are added after the movie is shot? In truth, doesn't the raw material shot with the camera represent the original camera negative? Once this material is removed, duped, edited, and titles/optical fx are added, we would appear to be at least one generation away from the "OCN." Wouldn't OFN (original 'finished' negative), something that acknowledges all this after-shooting work, make more logical sense? Just wondering...
No, as its usually two generations away, and a separate film element representing main and ends in various languages, representing a foreign (test less) background plus text overlays

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just got my shipping confirmation from KL! Super excited for next week when it arrives.

While it's disappointing to read of how the blacks are crushed, the color overall does look to be improved from previous versions. When my disc arrives I may test out a slight change to either gamma or black level on my TV which I (thankfully rarely) use when a disc has poorly implemented HDR which also results in crushed black levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McMillan
Recent bookmarks