What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
How does the Kino 4k disc compare with the ITunes 4k transfer? Is there a good comparison site for those 2 versions?

Much appreciated!

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I doubt there are any valid screencaps. As they are the only two 4K versions, I strongly suspect they’re the same transfer. I’ll try to take a peek.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I doubt there are any valid screencaps. As they are the only two 4K versions, I strongly suspect they’re the same transfer. I’ll try to take a peek.
I looked last night. The MGM 4k version is the older yellow tinted version of the film.

I’ll get the Kino 4k disc version.

DVD beaver didn’t have caps of the 4k streaming version but did speak to it.

Last edited:

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I looked last night. The MGM 4k version is the older yellow tinted version of the film.

I’ll get the Kino 4k disc version.

DVD beaver didn’t have caps of the 4k streaming version but did speak to it.

Thank you!! I just checked and you are absolutely correct. As iTunes is the only other 4k version, and as it became available more or less the same time as the Kino 4K, I assumed this was the same transfer, but it is not. The iTunes is the old MGM, just in 4K instead of HD.

There are several Kino 4K versions which have upgraded on iTunes to 4K. Many people in the iTunes upgrade thread have naturally assumed that these are the new Kino transfers, but perhaps they are not. You should post your discovery over there. Can't go with that assumption anymore, and each similar film should be checked. This is quite an important find. Well done!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thank you!! I just checked and you are absolutely correct. As iTunes is the only other 4k version, and as it became available more or less the same time as the Kino 4K, I assumed this was the same transfer, but it is not. The iTunes is the old MGM, just in 4K instead of HD.

There are several Kino 4K versions which have upgraded on iTunes to 4K. Many people in the iTunes upgrade thread have naturally assumed that these are the new Kino transfers, but perhaps they are not. You should post your discovery over there. Can't go with that assumption anymore, and each similar film should be checked. This is quite an important find. Well done!
Agreed. Digital is the Wild West in that regard. Some transfers are the same and others are older versions.

Fistful of dollars and for a few dollars more iTunes hd transfers are embarrassing imo. They have dirt, scratches, etc. maybe original dvd prints in hd?

Rule of thumb may be that kino and warner archive transfers are exclusive to the disc versions. Not sure if that’s 100%.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I stated this in an earlier thread about the look and feel of the 4K The Good The Bad And The Ugly. As I have access to a friend's 35mm Tech print and have seen the film since its 67 release more than 100 times theatrically, the closest the film originally looked like is the older MGM/UA DVD. The Italian Medusa Blu-ray,out of print the day it was released in Italian only also represents what the film should look like. The newest Kino looks good but is still "cold" and muddy." The best looking Leone 4K is For A Few Dollars More, spot on.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Agreed. Digital is the Wild West in that regard. Some transfers are the same and others are older versions.

Fistful of dollars and for a few dollars more iTunes hd transfers are embarrassing imo. They have dirt, scratches, etc. maybe original dvd prints in hd?

Rule of thumb may be that kino and warner archive transfers are exclusive to the disc versions. Not sure if that’s 100%.
I just checked my iTunes Fistfull and Few Dollars. They both appear to be indistinguishable from the MGM Man With No Name trilogy BDs

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Thank you!! I just checked and you are absolutely correct. As iTunes is the only other 4k version, and as it became available more or less the same time as the Kino 4K, I assumed this was the same transfer, but it is not.
I think they’re all sourced from the same scan and transfer, but Kino did some additional colour correction for the disc.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I think they’re all sourced from the same scan and transfer, but Kino did some additional colour correction for the disc.
Quite possible, but whatever they did, the two look very different. I much prefer the Kino.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I just checked my iTunes Fistfull and Few Dollars. They both appear to be indistinguishable from the MGM Man With No Name trilogy BDs
Could be. I don’t have those versions anymore.

The Kino discs for the first 2 films looked a lot better than the iTunes hd versions that I purchased.

I’m watching the itunes hd fistful of dollars right now. There is specks and marks throughout the print.

Just compared the iTunes versions to the Kino 4k versions. As I recalled the iTunes versions have specs and marks throughout. Kino 4k discs have grain but no marks and specks.

Repeated this comparison with For. A Few Dollars More as well. Same result.

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Could be. I don’t have those versions anymore.

The Kino discs for the first 2 films looked a lot better than the iTunes hd versions that I purchased.

I’m watching the itunes hd fistful of dollars right now. There is specks and marks throughout the print.

Just compared the iTunes versions to the Kino 4k versions. As I recalled the iTunes versions have specs and marks throughout. Kino 4k discs have grain but no marks and specks.

Repeated this comparison with For. A Few Dollars More as well. Same result.
I have the KL 4K Dollars Trilogy with the slipcases. They look Great ! :biggrin: I also have the Trilogy Digital in 4K on VUDU. Fistful and For a Few are the same as the KL 4K discs. :D TGTB&TUgly is the Yellow version. :)...... iTunes has the Old HD versions of the first 2 films :( and the Yellow GB&U IN 4K.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I have the KL 4K Dollars Trilogy with the slipcases. They look Great ! :biggrin: I also have the Trilogy Digital in 4K on VUDU. Fistful and For a Few are the same as the KL 4K discs. :D TGTB&TUgly is the Yellow version. :)...... iTunes has the Old HD versions of the first 2 films :( and the Yellow GB&U IN 4K.
Interesting that Vudu has different transfers than iTunes for the first two films!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks