What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Fury -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Do they need any permission to use it other than from Fox?

Presumably Fox also retain the rights to the new transfer, and will probably hand it over to TT if they wish to renew for The Fury in 3 years time.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Checking out those comparison screencaps, looks to me like the TT version used a CRT scanner, the noise looks the same as seen in some of the early Arrow Italian sourced horror films, i think some sharpening was applied too, look at the guy and the outline around his dark outfit and head.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/45602

Looks a little sharpened to me and the ugly CRT scanner noise is bad, the Arrow is clearly better by a country mile, i can't understand the high praise for the TT release, colour and skin tones look superior on the Arrow release too, yes i can see all that from just using screencaps.

I might be wrong about the CRT scanner, the Arrow looks far more natural and pleasing to the eye going by the screencaps and i think i can judge what i see in caps pretty well after years of taking such screencaps for my own site.

:EDIT: Added and subtracted from post.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I really don't want to respond, but someone has to and it may as well be me. There is no sharpening, sorry. That's the light from the lamp and it's there in the Arrow, but the arrow is ever so much softer that it's softened. And yes, I can see all that from just mousing over those screencaps. How do you explain the complete lack of detail in the shot you reference - I mean there is NO detail in the Arrow screen caps. Same with the cap I referenced, where all the detail in John Cassavetes' face and jacket don't exist in the Arrow caps. You think sharpening can add texture to clothing. You think sharpening is only done to one thing in the frame but not everything else? However, I do understand that the caps might just be bad and so I will reserve final judgment until I have the Arrow in hand next week. There's a rave up on Blu-ray.com but that was to be expected - there was no question that it would be a five-star transfer there. But that reviewer also hasn't seen the Twilight Time and therefore doesn't reference it.

Finally, once I see and compare, as I've said, you know I will tell it true :)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I make no comment on the merits or otherwise of the TT transfer; the plain fact is that that disc has sold out and, for those multi-region equipped (or in Region B), there is a handsome and stacked alternative. At the very least, those fans of The Fury with the TT disc may wish to consider the Arrow offering simply for those extensive supplements.

BTW, the upcoming offering of the The Fury from Carlotta in France will use the exact same transfer as Arrow.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
John Hodson said:
I make no comment on the merits or otherwise of the TT transfer; the plain fact is that that disc has sold out and, for those multi-region equipped (or in Region B), there is a handsome and stacked alternative. At the very least, those fans of The Fury with the TT disc may wish to consider the Arrow offering simply for those extensive supplements.

BTW, the upcoming offering of the The Fury from Carlotta in France will use the exact same transfer as Arrow.
I agree completely.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
haineshisway said:
I agree completely.
Can I ask why you were so quick to dismiss the Blu Ray.Com review and from what I believe DVD Beaver have greatly improved with their Screen Grabs?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
tele1962 said:
Can I ask why you were so quick to dismiss the Blu Ray.Com review and from what I believe DVD Beaver have greatly improved with their Screen Grabs?
Because blu-ray.com has known issues with Twilight Time - whether that affects their reviews or not I won't know until I actually get this Blu-ray - apparently everyone on the planet gets releases two weeks early, but amazon seems to live by the actual street date. As to the Beaver - it doesn't seem to me they've improved much, at least stuff I've watched recently that had caps there.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
haineshisway said:
Because blu-ray.com has known issues with Twilight Time - whether that affects their reviews or not I won't know until I actually get this Blu-ray - apparently everyone on the planet gets releases two weeks early, but amazon seems to live by the actual street date. As to the Beaver - it doesn't seem to me they've improved much, at least stuff I've watched recently that had caps there.
I think your going to be very pleasantly surprised. :)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
tele1962 said:
I think your going to be very pleasantly surprised. :)
That would be lovely - I love to be surprised and those here who know me know that if it's better I will say so. You do seem to be a bit of a cheerleader for Arrow all over the Internet, so that's nice. :) I have enjoyed some of their transfers a lot - really good. And some, not so good, but I think those were from earlier times.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
haineshisway said:
That would be lovely - I love to be surprised and those here who know me know that if it's better I will say so. You do seem to be a bit of a cheerleader for Arrow all over the Internet, so that's nice. :) I have enjoyed some of their transfers a lot - really good. And some, not so good, but I think those were from earlier times.
Ah alas not a cheerleader (fanboy yes) as their early releases were crap.............but the new ones wowsa...........and the price double wowsa!

Lidenbrock

Agent
Real Name
Albert GC
Arrow is a big improvement over TT. The TT image has been sharpened. Not the kind of unsharp masking which was heavily used with DVDs, and created -among other things - unpleasant halos by sharpening the edges of objects. This kind of USM is easily recognizable and obvious. There is another kind of USM which increases the apparent sharpness by sharpening the texture - grain or noise - but then of course the grain, noise, compression artifacts, hairs, etc. all become more visible. This USM is harder or impossible to see when the image is in motion and sitting at a proper distance from the screen (unless it´s been heavily applied). In these conditions what we see is a sharper image with more grain or noise which we think it´s completely natural and inherent to the image, but it is not. And many would swear that it has more real information but it has not, it´s an illusion. It is only recognizable if the viewer has experience with digital imaging and by looking at screencaps or still frames with a good monitor, but sometimes not even so if the USM has been used properly. It doesn´t matter how many times we have gone to the theater or how many prints we have seen of a movie, sometimes we just can´t notice it.

I know what I´m talking about because I´ve been using USM and DNR professional software for many years and I have scanned loads of images from negatives including many 35mm and 70mm frames.

By the way, Criterion have also used this type of sharpening with several titles, but wisely. In this case I don´t mind at all, I mean, when it serves its purpose: improving the image a little instead of ruining it. USM can be a useful tool if used with common sense and without going too far, but it can´t work miracles on bad video masters, and certainly - when it comes to real resolution- a new properly-handled master will always be better than an old one, even if it appears softer to our eyes because it hasn´t been tweaked digitally.

I could go on with DNR but I´ll stop here...

Apologies for my English.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm curious, since this is A Few Words thread.RAH has already given the TT version a 5 (and I have no reason to doubt that grade).But (and at this time it's an unknown) if the Arrow version ends up being a better version, what kind of grade would it earn?Would the TT grade be adjusted down? Or would Arrow earn a mythical 5+

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
haineshisway said:
There is no sharpening, sorry.
Albert aka Lidenbrock is spot on with his post as i was with mine, perhaps Twilight Time can pipe in and ask Fox why they did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks