What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Robin Hood (2018) - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Otto Bathurst's new take on the Robin Hood legend, courtesy of Ben Chandler and David James Kelly, is an interesting beast.

Filled to the brim with digital effects, heavy in action and violence, and borrowing at different times from Steam Punk, Lawrence, Assassin's Creed, Hunger Games, Metropolis, Mad Max and other films of the past, I'm not certain what to make of it.

The tale of the crusades and the attempted takeover of England a Cardinal from Rome with the aid of the Sheriff of Nottingham would take about 90 seconds to explain, but the various action sequences fill up 116 minutes.

Newcomerish, Eve Hewson makes a lovely Maid Marian, and I admire that throughout all of the chases, and battles, she is able to keep her makeup absolutely perfect.

There is at least one sequence during which numerous white actors are seen in blackface. I've not checked on the web to see if this troubled anyone, as it does with Mary Poppins.

The film is presently beautifully by Lionsgate on Blu-ray, and I can see where a 4k should give a true upgrade, as it was shot in 8, and finished in 4. I can't speak to that however, as Lionsgate apparently ran out of 4k product. Actually, for this film, 4k UHD / HDR may have added an interesting layer, especially in the many shots of furnaces and other elements belching smoke and fire, a bit akin to Fury Road.

The audio is likewise, superb, and presented in Dolby Atmos.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I liked Ridley Scott's version of Robin Hood much better.

At times there is something of a videogame vibe to this new version. It didn't do very well at the box office....

Robin Hood (2018)
Domestic Total Gross: $30,824,628
Distributor: Lionsgate/Summit Release Date: November 21, 2018
Genre: Action / Adventure Runtime: 1 hrs. 44 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13 Production Budget: $100 millionTotal Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $30,824,628 36.4%
+ Foreign: $53,955,918 63.6%
= Worldwide: $84,780,546

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I liked Ridley Scott's version of Robin Hood much better.

At times there is something of a videogame vibe to this new version. It didn't do very well at the box office....

Robin Hood (2018)
Domestic Total Gross: $30,824,628
Distributor: Lionsgate/Summit Release Date: November 21, 2018
Genre: Action / Adventure Runtime: 1 hrs. 44 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13 Production Budget: $100 millionTotal Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $30,824,628 36.4%
+ Foreign: $53,955,918 63.6%
= Worldwide: $84,780,546

Agreed.

And yet, as in my misspent yout, I may have pick up a 4k, just for the presumed technological prowess.

“Video game vibe” perfectly expresses what I saw, hence Assassin’s Creed.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Agreed.

And yet, as in my misspent yout, I may have pick up a 4k, just for the presumed technological prowess.

“Video game vibe” perfectly expresses what I saw, hence Assassin’s Creed.
with the advent of bluscreen they always feel like they need to take it to the next level. That combined with generations of kids loving video games, it's understandable, even back to the Mummy series of movies, that it would take this form...it has to be better than the Cosner version!!! That just sucked!! LOL!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks