What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Final Countdown -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have an Oppo 205 and it played just fine. I assume that you checked the surface of the disc? Oppo's UHD players are fidgety when it comes to smudges. Fortunately BU has the discs packaged normally, but I always struggle with sets like the Universal Hitchcock UHDs where there is no way to pull those discs out of the cardboard sleeves without getting fingerprints on them, and it doesn't take much of one to get the Oppos to freeze and lock up. The fact that you can continue as long as you skip that part is why I asked.
The first thing I did after watching the rest of the movie was look at the disc and saw nothing there. It then played fine on my other Oppo 203 without any issues so I didn't bother playing it on the Panny 820. Anyhow, just in case, I did wipe it clean.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I purchased this 4K UHD as a blind-buy after reading the excellent reviews, and given the fact that I love time-travel movies. For those who like or love the film, I'm glad you got such a stellar transfer. For me, however, I didn't even make it completely through the first viewing before I was wrapping it up and sending it back to where I purchased it (it had an, ahem, "audio" issue). I was quite willing to suspend my disbelief, as you usually have to do with time-travel movies, but it had so many problems over and above that, chief among them being that the characters in the film accept the fact that they went back in time without hardly batting an eye. I know that "realism" isn't usually a strong factor in movies like that, but give me a break! I think if I was told that I just went back in time I'd have just a little stronger reaction than I saw these guys have.
I always liked this movie from my first viewing at some random movie theater during it's theatrical run. After watching the 4K disc, my feelings toward the movie hasn't changed. Ironically, the time lapse since it's theatrical run and today is more than when this movie first came out and the attack on Pearl Harbor.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I always liked this movie from my first viewing at some random movie theater during it's theatrical run. After watching the 4K disc, my feelings toward the movie hasn't changed. Ironically, the time lapse since it's theatrical run and today is more than when this movie first came out and the attack on Pearl Harbor.

That bit is just scary. My dad was an early teen in 1941 and I remember him telling me of listening to the original radio reports a little after lunchtime (not sure if he at home or church maybe) and FDR's response afterward.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ironically, the time lapse since it's theatrical run and today is more than when this movie first came out and the attack on Pearl Harbor.
Some recent "you're now officially old" reminders I've been recently given...
  • We are closer to 2050 than 1990 (my college years)
  • Not that I've been carded recently, but I read that places that card now just look at your DOB year and if it starts with a "1" you're fine
  • On the radio the other day, a band I loved in college, Sugar, was on. DJ busts in at the end "so that was a Bob Mould band from waaaaaaaaayyyyyy back in the day, Sugar..." F-U, D.J.
Time is indeed marching on.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
That bit is just scary. My dad was an early teen in 1941 and I remember him telling me of listening to the original radio reports a little after lunchtime (not sure if he at home or church maybe) and FDR's response afterward.

My parents had just brought my oldest sister home from being baptized when they turned on the radio and heard the news about the attack.

Moving slightly aside in the How Time Passes Department, when I started collecting both comics and vintage paperbacks, the oldest ones I would've had to search out for were a tad over 30 years old. Nowadays, that would be the equivalent of things published in 1990.

In movie terms, when I first started watching silent films on TV (PBS), they would've been around 50 years old. That's the same length of time between now and when I first started watching silent films on TV.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I screened the 4K UHD yesterday and thought it looked fantastic on my 65" LG OLED. A noticeable improvement over the Blu-ray.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I purchased this 4K UHD as a blind-buy after reading the excellent reviews, and given the fact that I love time-travel movies. For those who like or love the film, I'm glad you got such a stellar transfer. For me, however, I didn't even make it completely through the first viewing before I was wrapping it up and sending it back to where I purchased it (it had an, ahem, "audio" issue). I was quite willing to suspend my disbelief, as you usually have to do with time-travel movies, but it had so many problems over and above that, chief among them being that the characters in the film accept the fact that they went back in time without hardly batting an eye. I know that "realism" isn't usually a strong factor in movies like that, but give me a break! I think if I was told that I just went back in time I'd have just a little stronger reaction than I saw these guys have.
If they continue to bad an eye it k9=ind of interrupts the narrative. You just have to suspend your disbelief.

masterofthemoon74

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
I just recently purchased the standard Blu Ray copy of The Final Countdown on eBay for $15.00, for my Cousin Michael since he's a big Kirk Douglas fan, has a great respect for the Navy (his Father served in the Navy during WWII), plus he's a HUGE History buff, especially on WWII. I had never seen the film so he let me borrow it to watch. I really enjoyed it, I can see why my Cousin always thought very highly of the film. I thought Kirk Douglas had great chemistry with the cast especially with Martin Sheen and James Farentino

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks