What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I think we've seen enough "revised" color palettes to make people suspicious - and the original BD of "French Connection" puts Friedkin on the "guilty until proven innocent" list! :D

But anytime an older movie hews toward colors that don't "feel right", we're gonna suspect alterations.

When I plopped the "Exorcist" 4K into my player and saw the orangeness of the Iraq scenes, I couldn't help but think changes occurred.

But honestly, as this thread shows, it's hard to nail down "original colors" - or original anything - much of the time.

I tend to just go agnostic when I review titles like this.

Unless I have strong evidence the image has been severely mucked with, I just rate what I see onscreen.

Mr. Friedkin was a very big, domineering personality and he got his way with wanting to tweak things and making his films a little less 70s for these re-releases. You've heard stories about him (or have seen/heard interviews with him. Can you imagine winning an argument with William Friedkin? He's going to win. Personally, I saw TE at at this year's TCM Film Fest and thought it looked great. But even the same transfer screened on an OLED will look less "filmic" than it would in a theater. As others have said, this is hardly French Connection revisionism, really just an attempt to make things a dot more vivid and its fine for The Exorcist. It's lurid. If anything I agree w the poster that said that 4k isn't kind to the Max von Sydow aging effects. I've noticed more webbing on the foreheads of actors for their wigs/hairpieces than ever before because of transfers being a little too resolving.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I tend to just go agnostic when I review titles like this.

Unless I have strong evidence the image has been severely mucked with, I just rate what I see onscreen.
There's a lot of discs that I don't look forward to reviewing just because I don't want to hear from the people who are going to claim that X should look like Y because of Z. I like to describe things as accurately as possible, but absent being in possession of documentary evidence to prove anything, at a certain point you just have to describe what you see instead.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
There's a lot of discs that I don't look forward to reviewing just because I don't want to hear from the people who are going to claim that X should look like Y because of Z. I like to describe things as accurately as possible, but absent being in possession of documentary evidence to prove anything, at a certain point you just have to describe what you see instead.

Exactly. Are the colors right? Is the AR perfect:? Is the grain natural? Etc.

And that doesn't even get into audio!

Ya just do the best ya can.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. Are the colors right? Is the AR perfect:? Is the grain natural? Etc.

And that doesn't even get into audio!

Ya just do the best ya can.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^Clearly, you just need to pull up dem bootstraps and do better, LOL! ;)
:lol:

_Man_

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
^Clearly, you just need to pull up dem bootstraps and do better, LOL! ;)
:lol:

_Man_

Joking aside, I really try hard to educate myself and get things as "right" as I can.

But it's a next to impossible task to be an expert on every facet of this stuff.

Even RAH doesn't know what every movie he watches is "supposed to look like" - and it's literally his life's work!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Joking aside, I really try hard to educate myself and get things as "right" as I can.

But it's a next to impossible task to be an expert on every facet of this stuff.

Even RAH doesn't know what every movie he watches is "supposed to look like" - and it's literally his life's work!
Which is why he relies on reference material as much as possible. If you can get an IB or low fade answer print, that’s your goal for the look.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Because knowing what a film originally looked like can be a great deal of research and heavy lifting. It is not guess-work. There are always clues, but that isn’t enough.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm going to do my best here not to fall into various potential traps in reviewing WB's new 4k UHD release of Mr. Friedkin's The Exorcist.

There have been numerous variants of the film created for the past half century, with changes to color timing, effects, audio platforms, et al.

AFAIK, there are no true reference prints, although there should be a timed IP, that might be helpful toward finding the original color scheme, if that is what WB and the filmmakers desired to reproduce.

Therefore, this review will be based upon a single attribute. That being, how will this disc be perceived by virgin viewers, with no previous knowledge of the film and it's various incarnations.

And for those viewers, aside from what I consider to be a horrid cover design, the film should hold up beautifully.

Color and densities "work," as do black levels and shadow detail, although they may not be accurate to the original release. Grain looks proper for Eastman 5254.

Both cuts are included, with the extended using an Atmos track. The original logo has been replaced with something special - not certain if it's new to this releases. I've not researched.

The Atmos track is proscenium filling and works beautifully. One might presume that it's derived from the 1979 70mm release, but one shouldn't presume anything with this project, I shall follow that tenet.

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Definitely

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 2

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

The original logo has been replaced with something special - not certain if it's new to this releases. I've not researched.

Might this possibly be the correct opening logo, designed by Saul Bass?

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I think there needs to be a term created for the number of posts it takes, after Mr. Harris rates a title with Video 5 and Audio 5, for the thread to turn into a 9-page discussion over how well we do/do not recall exact color timing and/or grain structure from a screening we saw ___ years ago.

Last edited:

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I saw THE EXORCIST 11 times in a movie theater during its original release. I saw it a couple more times in reissues and "The Version You've Never Seen". This 4K release (with color-grading just like the previous release in the "Complete Anthology") is the best the film has ever looked.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Any thoughts on theatrical v. director’s cut?
Each has their merits and are worth watching, but the theatrical is superior overall IMO. The additional medical testing scenes are interesting but ultimately superfluous. The spider-walk is too-much-too-soon and distracts from the impact of Burke Jennings' death. Merrin and Karras' discussion on the stairs is excellent but interrupts the pacing of the exorcism. I understand what Blatty was going for with the new ending between Kinderman and Dyer, and it works in the novel, but it tonally clashes with the film.

Friedkin himself seemed conflicted about the new scenes when interviewed about them, and many have described the "Directors Cut" as more of a Writers Cut,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wolffan91
Recent bookmarks