What's new

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Outside of the "ZOMG! WHERE ARE MY SUPER THIN BLACK BARS COVERING UP A SMIDGE MORE OF THE SCREEN!?!?"* faction, this release really has gone out of its way to satisfy nobody it seems. Guess I'm now well and truly on the path of "Maybe the 2010 digibook I have is good enough."

*friendly reminder that The Exorcist was shot open matte so you're actually seeing slightly less than the previous blu-rays with the 1.85:1 OAR here. Go figure.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
To be fair, very few
Outside of the "ZOMG! WHERE ARE MY SUPER THIN BLACK BARS COVERING UP A SMIDGE MORE OF THE SCREEN!?!?"* faction, this release really has gone out of its way to satisfy nobody it seems. Guess I'm now well and truly on the path of "Maybe the 2010 digibook I have is good enough."

*friendly reminder that The Exorcist was shot open matte so you're actually seeing slightly less than the previous blu-rays with the 1.85:1 OAR here. Go figure.
Also, just because it's 1:85 doesn't automatically mean the framing is correct.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I wholeheartedly agree that the logo has been more prominent in its association with that film than any other.
I agree about the logo for THE EXORCIST. The only other film I can think of where I feel the same, is the Buena Vista logo and fanfare written by Irwin Kostel for MARY POPPINS. I recall some release where it was replaced with a modern Disney logo and fanfare, and the start of the film was definitely impacted, for me. It's how the film begins. To tamper with it is just stupid. The more I read about this 4K release, the less I actually want it. I'm really happy with the last "Director's Cut", and its incredibly immersive soundtrack.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The 4k screen grabs presented here do not in any way reflect the film I saw in the theater (numerous times), and are not a version of the film I want to see.
Except for the extra scene of Merrin and Karras on the stairs, the DC is bollocks.
Do I have to go back to the first DVD I bought in 1997?
To be fair, a lot of films on disc don't much resemble the way they looked in the theatre on original release. Even the widely praised Jaws looks nothing like the original release prints.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
To be fair, a lot of films on disc don't much resemble the way they looked in the theatre on original release. Even the widely praised Jaws looks nothing like the original release prints.
So true.
I brought this up to Robert Harris, or Mr. Harris‘s as I call him and as he deserves to be called.

I think it has a lot to do with HDR/Dolby vision
To accentuate the wider color dammit of 4K UHD
HDR is being used to push colors out of 4K displays that weren’t possible to display with bt.709 gamut. Just my theory.

But I do think at times some titles are getting a bit to extreme with it. because it does change the colors in the films.

but, that being said,, I am loving how good most of these movies are looking on 4K when they are done right.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To be clear, I believe that any Academy Award winners of Best Picture or Best Cinematography should be restored to the original appearance at the time of release.

An updated / more in tune with the times, version is fine as long as the original is properly represented. The Exorcist was nominated for both Best Picture as well as Best Cinematography, but the awards went elsewhere.

Afaik, there is no viable reference print, possibly aside from an early timed IP.

A new version, as reimagined by the filmmakers is a viable, living, breathing entity, which is fine, and this one - at least to my eyes - looks wonderful.

Very, very different, yet wonderful.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To be clear, I believe that any Academy Award winners of Best Picture or Best Cinematography should be restored to the original appearance at the time of release.

An updated / more in tune with the times, version is fine as long as the original is properly represented. The Exorcist was nominated for both Best Picture as well as Best Cinematography, but the awards went elsewhere.

Afaik, there is no viable reference print, possibly aside from an early timed IP.

A new version, as reimagined by the filmmakers is a viable, living, breathing entity, which is fine, and this one - at least to my eyes - looks wonderful.

Perhaps, it's just me, but I'm thinking this release is being unfairly judged.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Perhaps, it's just me, but I'm thinking this release is being unfairly judged.
I think it's probably due to the sum of the various "issues" adding up to a disappointing whole for many cinephiles and fans of the film. The differences in framing and color timing from previous releases, along with not using the original opening logo and that God-awful cover art have galvanized people into expressing their criticisms.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think it's probably due to the sum of the various "issues" adding up to a disappointing whole for many cinephiles and fans of the film. The differences in framing and color timing from previous releases, along with not using the original opening logo and that God-awful cover art have galvanized people into expressing their criticisms.
However, how do we know the framing and color timing was correct on previous releases? I do agree with you about the opening logo and cover art, both issues that I view as minor compared to other people having a major issue with them.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
However, how do we know the framing and color timing was correct on previous releases?
We don't, of course, but people frequently judge new releases based on assumptions that previous iterations were "correct", or by what they "remember" from seeing a film in the theater decades ago.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We don't, of course, but people judge new releases based on assumptions that previous iterations were "correct" all the time, or by what they "remember" from seeing a film in the theater decades ago.
Don't get me started on that subject matter.:D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
We don't, of course, but people frequently judge new releases based on assumptions that previous iterations were "correct", or by what they "remember" from seeing a film in the theater decades ago.
I agree. Given the variations in print quality and presentation quality in that era, a film seen in one town may look very different from the same film seen in a different town. A dim projector bulb in one theater will make some viewers think the film was much darker, or the colors less vibrant, than was intended.

I'm not sure any film from the analog projector era can really be relied upon to be the definitive "look" that the film was intended to have. Not to mention it was 50 years ago and most people's memories are not that good to recall the exact look of a film they saw in a theaters in 197x.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not sure any film from the analog projector era can really be relied upon to be the definitive "look" that the film was intended to have. Not to mention it was 50 years ago and most people's memories are not that good to recall the exact look of a film they saw in a theaters in 197x.
Furthermore, it's not difficult for such memories to be muddled by years of seeing that film on home video formats from the LD and VHS/Beta formats to DVD and Blu-ray formats. Not to mention any viewings on HBO and such.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
To be clear, I believe that any To be clear, I believe that any Academy Award winners of Best Picture or Best Cinematography should be restored to the original appearance at the time of release.
As always… Perfectly stated Mr. Harris. I am in complete agreement.

I believe the original / muted color aided the realistic atmosphere of the film.

However, The Exorcist is so strong, so very strong, it would be difficult to dampen it’s impact.

but great point, if the Academy recognized the photography and direction, awarding it nominations for the statue… That should be respected
Bravo

This is unfortunate, especially for this classic.

“Amen“
Father Merrin

“Fear The Priest”

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
the downgrading of this film because of the cover art and the logo has reached new heights
To be fair, everyone is welcome to their opinion whether I agree with it or not. Furthermore, any purchasing decision is strictly a personal decision that only applies to oneself. In short, it's none of my business except my purchasing decision.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Agreed. On all points.
The sound alone warrants the purchase of the disc
And you now have a 4K Image yes, it's rendered colorfully, the HDR is way overdone in my opinion, and it doesn't look like the original film at first glance.

(I really do need that calibration Mr. Harris)

and don't get me started on the cover art again, but this is an amazing release for me personally… I got over the changes within 10 minutes.

How can you not? It's The Exorcist in 4K UHD With Dolby Atmos.

And just watching Lea, Jay Cobb, and Jason Miller, becoming friends talking about going to see the crest together

Watching Lee J. Cobb and Jason Miller becoming friends, talking about going to see “The Crest” together always makes me smile.

“I lied. You look like Sal Mineo.

😂

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MasonStorm@HTF
Recent bookmarks