What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's a rarity these days of "director's cuts," "extended cuts," and all sorts of miscellaneous re-cuttings of motion pictures, that one arrives that's beautifully reconsidered, re-cut, and longer....

and it's far better than the theatrical original.

No need to go into the battles that occurred behind the scenes with The Cotton Club, but for the uninitiated, be aware that the original release did not tell the tale desired by director, Francis Coppola.

Now re-envisioned, the film which runs 138 minutes, seems far shorter than the 129 minute original.

Arriving for the first time on Blu-ray, Stephen Goldblatt's cinematography can now shine through.

Camera negative, trims, work picture all come together to tell a far more interesting and cohesive tale of the Harlem club in the late 1920s and early '30s.

For the first time, I'm loving this film, especially the ending, which to me per the editing of the late Barry Malkin and FFC is absolutely magical.

If you feel that you've seen this film, you'd be wrong.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5 (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I liked the film when it came out, and loved the new Blu.

Has anyone done an analysis of what was removed, and what was added?

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Caught this at The Castro in November. Whoever felt it was a good idea to cut Lonette McKee's number of "Story Weather" should be tarred and feathered. It was one of those moments in the movie theater where you felt the entire audience take a breath after her number. It was stunning.

The film is definitely improved with this version, but I don't feel it rises to the best of Coppola's work. Too many characters and sub-plots that don't really go anywhere, so it still feels very disjointed. The performances, however, are definitely worth the price of this disc.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I did not like this film when I saw it on the original release.
Looking forward to seeing the new cut as I had always believed that a good movie lurked inside the original cut just waiting to be let out.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I did not like this film when I saw it on the original release.
Looking forward to seeing the new cut as I had always believed that a good movie lurked inside the original cut just waiting to be let out.
You're more perceptive than I am! I too didn't think much of the film when it first came out but it didn't occur to me that a better film was hiding in the wings. I'll probably buy this disc.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I saw it only once way long ago and shrugged it off. Thought something was missing, given its subject, such as further musical performances. Just got the new edition and look forward to seeing. it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I completely enjoyed the new edition. I was working as a film buyer for a theatre circuit at the time of its release and saw an industry screening before release. I was very disappointed in the 1984 release and had read all the stories concerning the making of the film. I always wondered if those cuts would have made a better film, IMHO, they do.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I loved this release. Been anticipating a Blu-ray ever since a restoration was first announced, but was very worried it would never make it to physical disc. I think Robert's initial comment that the film actually seems shorter even though it has an extended running time is absolutely true. The pacing is completely altered, entirely for the better. Run to B&N or Amazon and buy this wonderful release! Only caveat: I'd have loved to have a director's commentary track, as Coppola is an effusive and intelligent man whose previous tracks (GODFATHER series, THE CONVERSATION, DRACULA, etc.) were wall-to-wall and loaded with all the details about each film we might possible think to know about. I know from reading a dozen articles how this film was difficult and contentious and how the editing was dictated by non-creative suits, much to the director's distain. Finally, it all worked out well, and I only wish this had been the version that had premiered in 1984 so that it could have found its proper place in Coppola's filmography, popularity-wise.

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I finally had a chance this afternoon to watch this projected in the home theater - what a wonderful experience. I loved every minute. I will be watching it again soon . Engrossing.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Are you sure about that.
Even with good broadband connection, I have heard that the bit rate drops down to well below BD level !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks