What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Caine Mutiny -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I find this film to be a copy of MISTER ROBERTS and, more so, MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY. But Bogart is good. He’s make a good captain Bligh.

as for his performance, it pales in comparison to his best work, CASABLANCA, and his second best, AFRICAN QUEEN. It’s even behind TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE and MALTESE FALCON. IMHO, those are better performances of his.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I’m ranking this Bogart performance at Number #2.

Number #1 spot shall remain open until I finally catch up to Criterion’s “In a Lonely Place”.

BD WISH-LIST: More titles by director Edward Dmytryk, including “Crossfire”. :thumbs-up-smiley:
I’d LOVE to have CROSSFIRE on Blu!

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I find this film to be a copy of MISTER ROBERTS and, more so, MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY. But Bogart is good. He’s make a good captain Bligh.

as for his performance, it pales in comparison to his best work, CASABLANCA, and his second best, AFRICAN QUEEN. It’s even behind TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE and MALTESE FALCON. IMHO, those are better performances of his.
Short of my not yet seeing “In a Lonely Place”; and inclusive of my ranking “The Caine Mutiny” at Number #2; you have cited the exact 4 Bogies that are on my top #5, as well.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I think Bogart's best acting performance is in "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre". However, he's great in a number of movies as he was just a great actor period.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I agree that Bogart was good in pretty much everything he did. So it's tough to rank his movies, but here's my personal list at the moment....

Casablanca
The African Queen
In a Lonely Place
High Sierra
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Dark Passage
The Caine Mutiny
The Barefoot Contessa
We're No Angels
The Desperate Hours
The Petrified Forest

It's been so long since I've seen the others, or maybe I haven't even seen them, that I don't trust myself to guess. I should say that I still really like The Petrified Forest, which is Bogart's first starring role. I rate that movie as at least a B+!

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really love this movie and had been thinking about watching it last summer before I ran out of free time and it never happened. I think I’ll fix that this year. Everyone in it is in fine form.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks