What's new

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
At this point there's really no need for the Thau version. We now have the real six-track audio available and the TV cut in HD. What purpose does the 8 minute longer, re-done sound version fulfill anymore?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
With Warner's release of "Superman" and "2001", does anyone know which studio is now at the forefront of 4K/UHD outputs?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It's a Donner-approved version, so I would argue that it's more legitimate than the TV cut.
Yeah same reason why we have three cuts of Close Encounters in 4k despite the original really only being there for the sake of historical preservation and the '81 SE because it has its fans...what few there are.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
This is far and away the best of the Superman movies, for the simple reason that Richard Donner made the picture about the story and the character. The sequel was close, but only because Donner directed most of it before Richard Lester was brought in to edit it like a music video. The rest of them are about working in a role for Richard Pryor (III), a sermon about nukes (IV), or the CGI effects (all the rest). Of course, all the superhero movies since are solely about the CGI effects.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Lester directed most of SUPERMAN TWO. He redirected and got rid of much of Donner's footage. He had to direct well over 50% to qualify for a directors credit. Superman two is a much better film.

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
It's a Donner-approved version, so I would argue that it's more legitimate than the TV cut.
Regarding the "Donner-approved" version. Check out his last answer.

IGNFF: Were there any difficulties in finding original sound elements?

DONNER
: No, they just had to be cleaned and brought up to a contemporary standard but we found everything.

IGNFF: There have been reports that the sound effects were recreated that they are not the original sound effects.

DONNER
: Let me just tell you something if somebody did that and I don't know about it, I'm going to kill somebody. Michael would not have done that.

IGNFF: There have been numerous reports of sounds that people remember well being completely different in this new mix, from the rings rotating around the Kryptonian criminals to the searing sounds of the title sequence.

DONNER
: Do you mean different sounds, or they were enhanced?

IGNFF: Different sounds.

DONNER
: That doesn't make sense. I know we enhanced the sound, but I don't think we added any. I, quite honestly, did not hear the final mix. I heard the three run-throughs, and all we did was enhance sound.

You can read more here, but be warned, the formatting is wonky.

And while I agree, that yes, WB has a sign-off from Donner on this version, that didn't stop them from issuing the TV version, which is really all anybody ever wanted. That and the theatrical cut. The 2001 version is a weird stop-gap nobody asked for that's been supplanted in every way.

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
Lester directed most of SUPERMAN TWO. He redirected and got rid of much of Donner's footage. He had to direct well over 50% to qualify for a directors credit. Superman two is a much better film.

I've seen the Richard Donner cut of Superman II and I just don't like it as much as the theatrical one. There are compensations like the extended dialogue between Superman and Jor-El and the CGI-enhanced visuals but Superman II is a classic and anything but the version we all know and love is just sacrilege.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And while I agree, that yes, WB has a sign-off from Donner on this version, that didn't stop them from issuing the TV version, which is really all anybody ever wanted. That and the theatrical cut. The 2001 version is a weird stop-gap nobody asked for that's been supplanted in every way.
You're speaking for a lot of people that aren't you with "anybody" and "nobody".

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought Superman 2 was fun but a lot of it is a big sloppy mess and Superman towers over it in every single way.

JWC1969

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Mr. Harris, thanks for the review.

Quick question: when you note the older Superman transfer was lacking, I'm wondering if you're referring to the original Blu-ray that came out in the late aughts, or the Warner Archive Collection release that came out this time last year? (Which not only contained the Donner definitive re-edit from 2000, but also a 3-hour TV version recently uncovered in its proper 'scope framing.) Personally, I thought the WAC release looked quite good on Blu-ray. Curious of your thoughts. Thanks!

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
You're speaking for a lot of people that aren't you with "anybody" and "nobody".

I sure am, because I'm certain no one ever said, "I want an 8 minute longer version of Superman with revised sound". I am certain people wanted a high quality release of the TV version over the years.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Screen caps comparison:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=550&y=223&d1=12539&d2=12538&s1=124660&s2=124642&l=0&i=4&go=1

I picked a particular frame and section of that frame. Roll over and compare the detail in Lois's face and the items behind her on the 4K vs. the 2011 Blu-ray. The increase in detail is outstanding, yet, there's still smooth and gorgeous film grain. And the color timing looks like film instead of a boosted digital coloring book.

Mark
I'm looking elsewhere in that cap. It's pretty mushy. Again, no surprise.

Also no HDR in that cap.

Britton

Screenwriter
This looks like a definite upgrade whenever I make the leap to a 4K display. I may even pick it up before that if it dips below $20 (I bet this will show up in a 3 for $50 sale at Amazon). It's a shame the Blu-ray wasn't remastered like 2001: ASO. WB would have gotten their money from me already had they done that.

Britton

Screenwriter
I can tell there is a better movie nestled somewhere within Superman II, but unfortunately the slapstick tone of the Lester stuff just completely undermines it. It's especially damaging during the smackdown in Metropolis because it's infested with stupid sight gags (roller skater, guy eating ice cream, guy talking on phone).

That being said, the theatrical cut is superior to the Donner cut by virtue of being a finished product (and "General, would you care to step outside?" is a much better line than the one it replaced). The Donner cut was a neat idea, but I think it would have been better to do something like "Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks