What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of the all-time fan favorites in the superhero genre, coming from an earlier, far more innocent era, arrives on 4k, and it’s a winner.
While I’d have loved to be able to compare the new 4k to a modern Blu-ray of recent parentage, that can’t be done, as the previous Blu, which is also represented as the Blu along with the new 4k is showing its bottle age. Actually, it’s well past its prime.
The film was always soft. It was shot that way by cinematographer Geoffrey Unsworth. His lush grainy textures are the overriding appearance of the project. And it works beautifully.
I had to initial thoughts upon hearing that the film was coming to 4k was “why.” Other than a handful of shots, there isn’t any 4k to to be had.
And then I viewed the Blu-ray, and came to the realization that there is no comparison, simply because there is no high quality Blu-ray available. Presumably a telecine from an IP, the extant Blu-ray looks fine for what it is, but today, one will notice the lack of...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Britton

Screenwriter
Okay, so it looks like the included blu-ray is the same as the 2011 edition. Good to know.

I am curious about the sound, specifically the effects. Are they true to the 1978 version or are they from the 2000 version? I never cared for the new "whoosh" effect in the opening titles from the 2000 version.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So basically what I'm getting is the 4k is going to be a complete disappointment for many here but wins by default because the 2011 Blu-ray is too old a transfer to properly warrant a full comparison (even though said transfer is more recent than the one done for the Donner cut on S:TM).

...yeah that sounds about right.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
DP Geoffrey Unsworth. Now there's another reason to get 4K ready.
Just think, "Superman: The Movie" and "2001: A Space Odyssey"; all in one week.
Great stuff.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Is it possible to confirm that the second 5.1 track on here really is just plain Dolby Digital and not a lossless encode? Also, can you let us know if it has different sound effects than the Atmos track? Does Krypton sound like a box of broken glass during the destruction?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I know the 4K is the original theatrical version. That's fine. My question is whether the Williams score for the opening credits is the boosted bass version that came along with extended home video version later. I actually prefer the score/effects of the more recent soundtrack (but am perfectly happy with the original theatrical visuals).

I suspect EVERYTHING is the original theatrical version.

Oh, question #2... On the 4K, what is the song that is playing on the kid's car radio when they are driving from Smallville high school past the Kent farm? It had better be Bill Haley's 'Rock Around the Clock'!

Mark

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
On the 4K, what is the song that is playing on the kid's car radio when they are driving from Smallville high school past the Kent farm? It had better be Bill Haley's 'Rock Around the Clock'!
Has it ever been anything else?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Has it ever been anything else?
John Williams actually wrote original music for all the car radios in Superman The Movie (presumably to cover these scenes if the rights to the selected diegetic tracks didn't pan out). Eventually those cues made it into the TV version.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So my question to what Mark said still stands. He asked that as if there are versions on home video that have a different song playing.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So my question to what Mark said still stands. He asked that as if there are versions on home video that have a different song playing.
Well then the answer is yes. The TV cut that came out last year has the alternate tracks.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
A guy on another forum (that received his copy) says the Dolby Digital 5.1 track is the original theatrical soundtrack and he says it sounds quite good (I interpreted his comment to mean that it *might* have slightly boosted LFE during the opening title sequence). He said the Dolby ATMOS track is the remix soundtrack from 2000 (or whenever the first special edition was released). He said the ATMOS track, if anything, has even more LFE than it had in 2000 for those opening titles.

So, apparently, we get the choice of both.

Mark

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
This is bittersweet news. I've wanted the original six-track audio released since the earliest days of the DVD format. Maybe even as far back as the Laser Disc era (when we called Dolby Digital "AC-3"). Over the years the only 5.1 track was the Thau mix, which is revisionist and doesn't sound like "Superman: The Movie".

This original mix could have been included in 2011 as a DTS-HD Master Audio track on the Blu-ray of the theatrical cut. Instead we got a conformed version of the Thau mix, with just a stereo 2.0 mix of the 1978 audio.

I'm glad we'll all finally get to experience the original discrete mix, but lossy Dolby Digital only in 2018 on a 4k disc? Could it be a size limitation? Maybe, but Ready Player One has a similar running time to Superman and has an Atmos track and a lossless 5.1 track as well.

Britton

Screenwriter
Well, it would have been great if the original soundtrack was lossless. That being said, I’ll take the 5.1 upgrade (whenever I get a 4K display) and pass on seeing the re-release in theaters since it’ll most likely have the redone sound effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks