What's new

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Let’s add selection of optics and filters.

I’m seeing nothing obviously wrong with the image harvests. Presuming lots of dupes. They simply aren’t highly resolved films, and cannot be, if fx are to appear as part of an overall image.

I recall discussing this with Mr. Wise, who liked his imagery sharp.

Which is weird because Diopters weren't going to give you that.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Even though Robert feels that 4K isn't appropriate for these films, I always feel that the work entailed for this makes for the best quality 1080 blu rays you will ever have available if they are using the same masters ?
That's assuming they re-manufacture the blu-rays if they've previously been available in that format. Often the combo packs that trumpet a "brand new 4K transfer" on the 4K disc include the same previously released blu-ray in the package with the new 4K disc.

If it's a title that's completely new to blu-ray, then it's more likely it will be sourced from the new master.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If I recall correctly from the reviews, the Blu Rays included in this new set are mastered from the same new master source used for the 4K discs. Which will be a great upgrade from the old Blu Rays as the new masters has new color grading.

I’m still abstaining from watching the set as I try to purchase a new display! So I can’t wait to see The Motion Picture.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If I recall correctly from the reviews, the Blu Rays included in this new set are mastered from the same new master source used for the 4K discs. Which will be a great upgrade from the old Blu Rays as the new masters has new color grading.

I’m still abstaining from watching the set as I try to purchase a new display! So I can’t wait to see The Motion Picture.
Yes, good to know. Reviewing the press release does say they're releasing remastered blu-rays in addition to the 4K discs.

I just got the blu-rays from Big Lots not long ago for $3-5 each. I'll have to give them a spin and see how urgently I need to upgrade. ;)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Yes, every reliable review that I've read points out that the Blu-rays included in this set are newly authored from the same remastered sources as the 4K UHD discs.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
There's a lot of reasons

-Improperly finished effects work on TMP

-Massive budget cuts done to the rest of the films

-Being stuck on soundstages which were frequently in low light and full of smoke

-El Cheapo Lab Metrocolor on IV

It goes on and on
Why would the soundstages be full of smoke?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Because its always 4:20 on a Klingon Bird of Prey.
...and they're listing to ...
1631940110146.png

John Tesh ;)!

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Correct, as TWOK has already been through that process prior to this set being released. The other three films? Yes.
When did they do this restoration of The Motion Picture. I swear when they did the Fandango release two years ago, the film looked more like this than the earlier Blu Ray. It looked like a film, not a DNR slathered Blu Bay.

TMP's final scene look so much better now. On BD it felt over lit and almost "video" like. Now it looks like it matches the rest of the film.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
When did they do this restoration of The Motion Picture. I swear when they did the Fandango release two years ago, the film looked more like this than the earlier Blu Ray. It looked like a film, not a DNR slathered Blu Bay.

TMP's final scene look so much better now. On BD it felt over lit and almost "video" like. Now it looks like it matches the rest of the film.
The nose reduction wasn't baked into the older masters. They used to air on various movie channels and looked pretty good. But someone decided to DNR the blu-rays.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

The 2019 theatrical presentation of TMP was stunning, both picture- and audio-wise. I bet that was the 4k master that's been used for the new releases.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The 2019 Fathom presentation was from the same underlying master used to create the original Blu-ray. The only difference between the disc for home viewing and the DCP for theaters is that the BD had a lot of DNR added to the master, while the DCP did not.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Josh, I had to re-read your reply. You meant the master used as the Digital Cinema Package for the 2019 Fathom event was the same underlying master used for the 2009 blu ray, but without the DNR. That master was not used on the 2021 4K blu ray. :)

Real Name
Joe Birrittella
Fans of the Star Trek series should be thrilled with Paramount's release of the first four film, remastered in 4k.

Fans of 4k may be a bit less enthused, as with the exception of a few sequences in IV, there really isn't that much in 4k resolution. And the fact that the first is in 4k, shows the deficiencies in 1979 era special effects, which appear less cohesive than in lower resolved media.

That aside, color and densities seem nicely done - I'm not an expert on the series - and the audio, possibly in 7.1 helps to create a larger overall aura.

The set is packaged with a spare set of Blu-rays for anyone who may desire extras.

To be clear, regarding 4k, I'm not suggesting that the films in that resolution are a waste, but rather that the third and fourth titles probably peak at 2.5 or 3k, and the first two less.

But fans will know that they're getting everything that's on the film element, and one can't ask for more than that.

I find one thing bit confusing. While the set is comprised of eight discs (both 4k as well as Blu-ray) of the first four films, why not leave out the Blu-ray variant, and make a complete set of the early series, and include the final three with Mr. Shatner (1989 - 1994), for a total of seven films?

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Something)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 2.5

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh, I had to re-read your reply. You meant the master used as the Digital Cinema Package for the 2019 Fathom event was the same underlying master used for the 2009 blu ray, but without the DNR. That master was not used on the 2021 4K blu ray. :)

That is correct!

Real Name
Joe Birrittella
Fans of the Star Trek series should be thrilled with Paramount's release of the first four film, remastered in 4k.

Fans of 4k may be a bit less enthused, as with the exception of a few sequences in IV, there really isn't that much in 4k resolution. And the fact that the first is in 4k, shows the deficiencies in 1979 era special effects, which appear less cohesive than in lower resolved media.

That aside, color and densities seem nicely done - I'm not an expert on the series - and the audio, possibly in 7.1 helps to create a larger overall aura.

The set is packaged with a spare set of Blu-rays for anyone who may desire extras.

To be clear, regarding 4k, I'm not suggesting that the films in that resolution are a waste, but rather that the third and fourth titles probably peak at 2.5 or 3k, and the first two less.

But fans will know that they're getting everything that's on the film element, and one can't ask for more than that.

I find one thing bit confusing. While the set is comprised of eight discs (both 4k as well as Blu-ray) of the first four films, why not leave out the Blu-ray variant, and make a complete set of the early series, and include the final three with Mr. Shatner (1989 - 1994), for a total of seven films?

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Something)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 2.5

Recommended

RAH
If memory serves (☺), Paramount pulled the same delay tactic when they released the first STAR TREK films on single disc DVD, but in reverse order beginning with Star Trek 6, then 5 and so on. The warning bells went off & by then, I was a seasoned enough buyer to wait for a better package.

When STAR TREK: The Motion Picture Director's Edition was saved for last, (& the first of the 2 Disc Editions that was soon followed by Wrath Of Khan); it was universally heralded to be much improved over a still very flawed film and considered to be THE Definitive Version.

So why would anyone want to sink their funds back into The Theatrical Version; especially now that it's been revealed that the Robert Wise Cut is undergoing a major redo to upgrade the 2001 CGI into a 4K match, that will take 6-8 months?

Now they're threatening that it may only be available for download streaming and not a Blu-ray or 4K release, but this old dog ain't buying that scenario. Wasn't fooled the first time, not going to be fooled a 2nd first time.

Like the iron will patience of Ethan Edwards, I'll wait for the The Motion Picture Director Cut release and if they refuse to release it, I've got the DVD. And Paramount didn't earn any laurels for the first STAR TREK II Blu-ray that was oversaturated with blue hues (like the 1st BD release of 20th Century Fox's FRENCH CONNECTION), that received scathing reviews for those transfers. I waited for the much improved 2nd release of both films, it was worth the wait and can wait the year for the new upgraded ST: Motion Picture.

And when will Paramount release ORDINARY PEOPLE and DRAGONSLAYER (which has been restored to minimize the matte lines)?

The fact that they are releasing RAGTIME in a new Theatrical & Expanded Director Cut Restored Workprint gives us hope enough that I'm calling their bluff. Still waiting on THE NAKED JUNGLE after the Criterion Release of WAR OF THE WORLDS blew everyone away with Ben Burtt's fantastic 5.1 Enhanced audio.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If memory serves (☺), Paramount pulled the same delay tactic when they released the first STAR TREK films on single disc DVD, but in reverse order beginning with Star Trek 6, then 5 and so on. The warning bells went off & by then, I was a seasoned enough buyer to wait for a better package.

When STAR TREK: The Motion Picture Director's Edition was saved for last, (& the first of the 2 Disc Editions that was soon followed by Wrath Of Khan). It was universally heralded to be much improved over a still very flawed film and considered to be THE Definitive Version.

So why would anyone want to sink their funds back into The Theatrical Version; especially now that it's been revealed that the Robert Wise Cut is undergoing a major redo to upgrade the 2001 CGI into a 4K match, that will take 6-8 months?

Now they're threatening that it may only be available for download streaming and not a Blu-ray or 4K release, but this old dog ain't buying that scenario. Wasn't fooled the first time, not going to be fooled a 2nd first time.

Like the iron will patience of Ethan Edwards, I'll wait for the The Motion Picture Director Cut release and if they refuse to release it, I've got the DVD. And Paramount didn't earn any laurels for the first STAR TREK II Blu-ray that was oversaturated with blue hues (like the 1st BD release of 20th Century Fox's FRENCH CONNECTION), that received scathing reviews for those transfers. I waited for the much improved 2nd release and can wait the year for the new upgraded ST: Motion Picture.

And when will Paramount release ORDINARY PEOPLE and DRAGONSLAYER (which has been restored to minimize the matte lines)?

The fact that they are releasing RAGTIME in a new Theatrical & Expanded Director Cut Restored Workprint gives us hope enough that I'm calling their bluff. Still waiting on THE NAKED JUNGLE after the Criterion Release of WAR OF THE WORLDS blew everyone away with Ben Burtt's fantastic 5.1 Enhanced audio.
Yup, that will show them.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks