What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fans of the Star Trek series should be thrilled with Paramount's release of the first four film, remastered in 4k.

Fans of 4k may be a bit less enthused, as with the exception of a few sequences in IV, there really isn't that much in 4k resolution. And the fact that the first is in 4k, shows the deficiencies in 1979 era special effects, which appear less cohesive than in lower resolved media.

That aside, color and densities seem nicely done - I'm not an expert on the series - and the audio, possibly in 7.1 helps to create a larger overall aura.

The set is packaged with a spare set of Blu-rays for anyone who may desire extras.

To be clear, regarding 4k, I'm not suggesting that the films in that resolution are a waste, but rather that the third and fourth titles probably peak at 2.5 or 3k, and the first two less.

But fans will know that they're getting everything that's on the film element, and one can't ask for more than that.

I find one thing bit confusing. While the set is comprised of eight discs (both 4k as well as Blu-ray) of the first four films, why not leave out the Blu-ray variant, and make a complete set of the early series, and include the final three with Mr. Shatner (1989 - 1994), for a total of seven films?

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Something)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 2.5

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was under the impression that audio was Dolby TrueHD 7.1 - the initial press release mistakenly reported Atmos and was then corrected.

This is a big release for Trek fans because the prior release on Blu-ray in 2009 wasn’t even up to 2009 standards. They were based primarily on HD scans made circa 2003 for cable broadcasts and DVD and were riddled with DNR, other digital artifacting and instability in the frame.

As for why just the first four films - the consensus educated guess around the internet is that the studio wanted product available this week to tie into their Star Trek Day promotions this week and that’s what was ready to go by that date.

I suspect that there will be a number of buyers like me, who currently are limited to HD playback but look forward to one day upgrading. Buying the combo pack makes more sense for people like me than buying the BDs only right now and purchasing the UHDs down the line. Unlike some combo packs, both formats here tout the newly remastered transfers.

The key for longtime fans is that these discs finally look like film, rather than poorly rendered digital video.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Want to buy this but is there a chance that Paramount will release all 13 films on one big 4K set?

Eventually, maybe, possibly, probably.

But from what Digital Bits reported, physical media releases of the remaining titles are dependent on these selling well. For years, Trek fans have lobbied the studios for various releases and then unfortunately when those releases came out (like TNG on BD) the sales numbers never matched the enthusiasm that had been demonstrated for them.

I don’t doubt that Paramount will create new 4K masters for the remaining films, but I think there is a very real chance that if this initial batch doesn’t meet their sales expectations, the rest could simply become Paramount+ exclusives.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I was under the impression that audio was Dolby TrueHD 7.1 - the initial press release mistakenly reported Atmos and was then corrected.

This is a big release for Trek fans because the prior release on Blu-ray in 2009 wasn’t even up to 2009 standards. They were based primarily on HD scans made circa 2003 for cable broadcasts and DVD and were riddled with DNR, other digital artifacting and instability in the frame.

As for why just the first four films - the consensus educated guess around the internet is that the studio wanted product available this week to tie into their Star Trek Day promotions this week and that’s what was ready to go by that date.

I suspect that there will be a number of buyers like me, who currently are limited to HD playback but look forward to one day upgrading. Buying the combo pack makes more sense for people like me than buying the BDs only right now and purchasing the UHDs down the line. Unlike some combo packs, both formats here tout the newly remastered transfers.

The key for longtime fans is that these discs finally look like film, rather than poorly rendered digital video.
I’ll have to check the data stream

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
1631499295292.png

Wayne Klein

Second Unit

Agreed. Ideally, they would have released the six and Wise’s DC with it but, given the DC wasn’t ready, perhaps they will release the DC either separately or part of a 5 & 6 set as that would give them three films. I would think Generations be held for the Next Gen set.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
quite correct. Something noted Atmos, so brought in the team, fired up the system, and did achieve a bit of aural majesty. But alas...
Your use of the word majesty instantly caused a flashback to the Siskel and Ebert review of Star Trek II. :). I saw that review and it’s burned in my memory. I found Gene Siskel‘s comment that the first film was less then exciting and Star Trek II a really pleasant surprise to be ironic, if I’m using that word correctly. And while I like Siskel and Ebert, I didn’t like his review comments about the first film. Because in the review, they screen the scene when the Enterprise leaves space dock. They comment the first film was a bore, but this film was back to form. Yet the footage they screen is the same footage from the first film, just edited differently and uses new music. Gene Siskel called it majestic. And it is majestic, but it was in the first film. I agree the second film is more enjoyed by a wider audience, but the first film is as Roger Ebert says about ideas and that’s what Star Trek excelled at.

You can see the section I refer to at 4 minutes in:

The beauty of YouTube is this episodes was made available. :).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Eventually, maybe, possibly, probably.

But from what Digital Bits reported, physical media releases of the remaining titles are dependent on these selling well. For years, Trek fans have lobbied the studios for various releases and then unfortunately when those releases came out (like TNG on BD) the sales numbers never matched the enthusiasm that had been demonstrated for them.

I don’t doubt that Paramount will create new 4K masters for the remaining films, but I think there is a very real chance that if this initial batch doesn’t meet their sales expectations, the rest could simply become Paramount+ exclusives.

Agreed

stevenHa

Second Unit
Even though Robert feels that 4K isn't appropriate for these films, I always feel that the work entailed for this makes for the best quality 1080 blu rays you will ever have available if they are using the same masters ?

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
[...]Fans of 4k may be a bit less enthused, as with the exception of a few sequences in IV, there really isn't that much in 4k resolution.
[...]
To be clear, regarding 4k, I'm not suggesting that the films in that resolution are a waste, but rather that the third and fourth titles probably peak at 2.5 or 3k, and the first two less.[...]
As a life-long Trek fan, but one who has not yet upgraded my display to 4K, I've been reading about this release with interest.

And, as always, I love reading your opinions. It's probably my dense brain, but I'm not sure I understand the above comments.

Do you think the lower resolution is due to the film stock they used for filming, or an issue with the new mastering, or something else? Did you see a drop in the bitrate, or is it a qualitative assessment? Thanks in advance.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
As a life-long Trek fan, but one who has not yet upgraded my display to 4K, I've been reading about this release with interest.

And, as always, I love reading your opinions. It's probably my dense brain, but I'm not sure I understand the above comments.

Do you think the lower resolution is due to the film stock they used for filming, or an issue with the new mastering, or something else? Did you see a drop in the bitrate, or is it a qualitative assessment? Thanks in advance.

There's a lot of reasons

-Improperly finished effects work on TMP

-Massive budget cuts done to the rest of the films

-Being stuck on soundstages which were frequently in low light and full of smoke

-El Cheapo Lab Metrocolor on IV

It goes on and on

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Low budgets.

There's a lot of reasons

-Improperly finished effects work on TMP

-Massive budget cuts done to the rest of the films

-Being stuck on soundstages which were frequently in low light and full of smoke

-El Cheapo Lab Metrocolor on IV

It goes on and on
Let’s add selection of optics and filters.

I’m seeing nothing obviously wrong with the image harvests. Presuming lots of dupes. They simply aren’t highly resolved films, and cannot be, if fx are to appear as part of an overall image.

I recall discussing this with Mr. Wise, who liked his imagery sharp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks