What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Road to Salina – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Road to Salina may be one of the stranger films to come out of the early '70s.

Directed by the prolific French filmmaker, Georges Lautner, I've always found it so bad that it needs to be viewed as a representative of a certain kind. It's also poorly edited, especially in action sequences.

The basic plot is about a young man (Robert Walker, jr.) who stops by a roadside rest stop, is incorrectly identified by the owner (played by an aging Rita Hayworth - more on that later), as her long-lost son, and who moves on to have a torrid relationship with Hayworth's daughter, her purported brother.

All of this was apparently too much for the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, which reviewed it as follows:

"Dreadfully pretentious European production set in the middle of a baked salt flat where Lana Turner runs a gas station-cafe and mistakes Robert Walker for her runaway son. Her daughter (Mimsy Farmer) goes along with the situation by engaging in a sexual relationship that had originally sent the son packing. Directed by Georges Lautner, the muddled incest theme is conveyed with many arty scenes of graphic lovemaking."

They apparently disliked the content so forcefully, (it includes full frontal of both Ms Farmer as well as Mr. Walker) that while they were able to identify the ever-lovely Mimsy Farmer in all her natural glory, they identified the older woman as Lana Turner.

While Miss Hayworth would have been 51 during the filming, Miss Turner was a few years younger, and both were notable blondes, so they're easily confused.

The new Blu-ray courtesy of Kino is generally lovely, except at cut-in dissolves, but that's a minor point. Audio is fine for a lowish budget film. Color, densities, grain structure, black levels, all appear fine.

Part of my problem with Miss Hayworth is her appearance, and I'm not referring her age. It's the way that she was made up and photographed, that made her appear far less the beauty that she was when she was in her prime.

Shot on location in the Canary Islands, with interiors at Billancourt, where much of Napoleon was filmed a few years earlier.

Image – 4.5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

RAH

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Have to admit I am intrigued to watch this picture. I don't believe I have ever seen it. It sounds interesting and like something that could only have come out of the late 1960s or early 1970s.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I saw this film when it first came out solely because I was already a major Rita Hayworth fan. I have no great wish to see it again. If my memory is good, RAH's second paragraph sums the film up well.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
When I lived in San Francisco in the 1970s, I always went to the annual San Francisco film festival. One year they had a tribute to Rita Hayworth. A feature film chosen by her followed by clips from her career and then the lady herself would do a Q&A with a moderator and the audience. The feature film chosen by Ms. Hayworth was ..... Road To Salina because she felt it best showed her work as an actress. Make of it what you will ;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When I lived in San Francisco in the 1970s, I always went to the annual San Francisco film festival. One year they had a tribute to Rita Hayworth. A feature film chosen by her followed by clips from her career and then the lady herself would do a Q&A with a moderator and the audience. The feature film chosen by Ms. Hayworth was ..... Road To Salina because she felt it best showed her work as an actress. Make of it what you will ;)
Makes sense if she was there supporting the release.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Makes sense if she was there supporting the release.
I double checked and the feature film shown at Hayworth's 1972 tribute is listed as Tonight And Every Night! I was there and I'm sure it was Road To Salina so either they're wrong or premature senility is settling in :( . I've seen the movie and that's where I saw it. I think I've got the program for that year's festival in a box somewhere so I'll try to dig it up.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I double checked and the feature film shown at Hayworth's 1972 tribute is listed as Tonight And Every Night! I was there and I'm sure it was Road To Salina so either they're wrong or premature senility is settling in :( . I've seen the movie and that's where I saw it. I think I've got the program for that year's festival in a box somewhere so I'll try to dig it up.
May have a print problem.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
You're right. The intro-person from 2020 says the film was Tonight And Every Night, but during the interview Albert Johnson says the film they'd just watched was Road to Salina (at about 2:47):

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Nobody has picked up on RAH's tongue-in-cheek comment about the blondeness of both Turner and Hayworth. Alas, neither was a natural-colored blonde or redhead, as revealed by their early films. That fact didn't subtract anything from their beauty.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
You're right. The intro-person from 2020 says the film was Tonight And Every Night, but during the interview Albert Johnson says the film they'd just watched was Road to Salina (at about 2:47):

God bless you! It's a relief to know that senility has not yet arrived :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Road to Salina may be one of the stranger films to come out of the early '70s…
…and who moves on to have a torrid relationship with Hayworth's daughter, his purported brother.
So apparently there is not only an incest angle, but the daughter is also transgender? :D

CarlLaFong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Wheeler
I remember trying to watch this, back in the day. I bailed after 42 minutes, tired of waiting for Hope and Crosby to appear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks