What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Resident Evil series, of which there are six film, is one of those wonderfully entertaining guilty pleasures.

The films are not art, nor are they meant to be.

It's not Welles, or Hawks, or Hitchcock, or Lean, or Lubitsch or Wilder, or Wyler…

It's just a series that's great fun.

Debuting in 2002, directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, and having its roots in a video game, the first of the series was budgeted at around 33 million, and grossed almost four times that. It starred 26 year-old Milla Jovovich, who began her career in 1988 at 12, Two Moon Junction. Mr. Anderson would helm the remaining five.

Two years later, Resident Evil: Apolcalypse was released, with a higher budget at 45 million.

The third in the series arrived in 2007, Resident Evil: Extinction, with a similar budget, followed by Resident Evil: Afterlife in 2010, budgeted at 60 million.

2012 brought RE: Retribution at an even higher budget - 65 million, and a worldwide gross of 240.

RE: The Final Chapter arrived in 2016.

Sony's new 4k Collection, which may be one of the great deals of the season is currently stressing at $70, which for those without a calculator, works out to a bit over $11 a title.

In 4k.

With Dolby Atmos.

But how do they look?

In a word, terrific, even though several of the films were finished in 2k. The Final Chapter is a 4k DI. The first was cut negative.

Beautifully presented in a sold clamshell-ish box.

There's a myriad of extras. Commentary tracks, featurettes, trailers, outtakes and extended cuts.

Anyone not having seen these is in for a treat.

Those who have Dolby Atmos...

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've heard that these have a forced menu popping up during the ending credits- is that true, and is it possible to play the movie without it? (I heard the Beauty and the Beast from a few years ago did something similar, but only the first time it was played.) This is pretty troubling if so.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've heard that these have a forced menu popping up during the ending credits- is that true, and is it possible to play the movie without it? (I heard the Beauty and the Beast from a few years ago did something similar, but only the first time it was played.) This is pretty troubling if so.
Sorry, can’t answer that, as I sampled. What I did find interesting was the promo for PS5 beneath the main menu.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Debuting in 2002, directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, and having its roots in a video game, the first of the series was budgeted at around 33 million, and grossed almost four times that. It starred 26 year-old Milla Jovovich, who began her career in 1988 at 12, Two Moon Junction. Mr. Anderson would helm the remaining five.

Anderson directed the first movie as well as the last three: Afterlife, Retribution, and The Final Chapter. However, Apocalypse (#2) was directed by Alexander Witt and Extinction (#3) by Russell Mulcahy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks