What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Peyton Place -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Peg and I just watched this a few days ago, too, Ben! It had been in our "to watch" pile for a while.

LOVED it!! I posted my thoughts HERE.

I had an epiphany after seeing this that I really like movies in which "small town America" is a secondary character. Someone recommended Kings Row to me (a film I've never seen). It's on its way to me!

Last edited:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Peg and I just watched this a few days ago, too, Ben! It had been in our "to watch" pile for a while.

LOVED it!! I posted my thoughts HERE.

I had an epiphany after seeing this that I really like movies in which "small town America" is a secondary character. Someone recommended Kings Row to me (a film I've never seen). It's on its way to me!

PEYTON PLACE was and still is, a great movie. I saw it many times when it was first released, where I worked. The sequel RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE was less successful. .I only ever watched a few episodes of the tv series as it didn't interest me. KING'S ROW is a masterpiece-you won't regret watching it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think I wasn't convinced it was going to be that good because of the reputation of the TV soap based on its characters.

Boy, was I wrong!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think I wasn't convinced it was going to be that good because of the reputation of the TV soap based on its characters.

Boy, was I wrong!
What was wrong with the reputation of the TV soap? I always thought it was well received, it just wasn't my cup of tea back in the day as I was more interested in watching western TV series.:) It was a launching ground for more than a few actors.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just the idea of it being a "soap"--even though well-received. It made me think the film was probably going to have a light-weight approach to story and characters.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
PP is a first-rate motion picture down the line: cinematography, music, production values, story, acting - all outstanding.

It should be noted that Peyton Place is one of only 9 films that have received 5 Oscar nominations in the acting categories (no film has ever received 6 acting nominations so far). The others are Mrs. Miniver, All About Eve, From Here To Eternity, One The Waterfront, Tom Jones, Bonnie And Clyde, The Godfather Part II and Network.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It should be noted that Peyton Place is one of only 9 films that have received 5 Oscar nominations in the acting categories (no film has ever received 6 acting nominations so far). The others are Mrs. Miniver, All About Eve, From Here To Eternity, One The Waterfront, Tom Jones, Bonnie And Clyde, The Godfather Part II and Network.

Wow. That's quite a list, Thomas. PP is definitely in good company using that stat as a barometer.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
The television series bares little resemblance to the film. While the series is good, the film is superior to the series. The only resemblance the series to the film are some characters names and there is no plot in the series from the film. Except for Constance hiding the fact she wasn't married and had Allison out of wedlock..... And characters and storylines from the series were never in the film or book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks