What's new

Paul Bosquet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Isn't this the promise of Filmmaker mode? At least that what appears to be marketed by the UHD Alliance. I still don’t get It entirely if only TVs are equipped with this special mode. I would guess it does not alleviate the need for proper calibration.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Well, right now, the studio is holding LoA for ransome and demanding we pay a bunch of cash to get it.
Gawd, is it still the year 2000 in here?
Those bastard studios are at it again, trying to make a profit & not giving you exactly what you so deserve.
It's like Hudson in Aliens, some people aren't keeping up current events.
Physical media is a money loser, repeat money loser.

I'm not saying anyone should buy this just to support 4k but it sure would be nice rather bitching the same old tired bitch.
Maybe about to give it up after so many years?

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
I've always said this, but am surprised to read about it now. HDR has and continues to be a crapshoot. Black levels are one thing, color gamut another. The only thing one can trust is a good Blu-ray. Everything else is subjective.
HDR a crapshoot? Huh? As Robert said, home projectors with 1 exception, are not bright enough to do HDR justice.

OLEDs especially LG & Sony are.
Where's the crapshoot?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know the other films on the list of films to possibly be included in this set that lost to "A League of Their Own" and "Jerry McGuire" ?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Thanks
My gosh "Funny Girl", "On The Waterfront", "From Here To Eternity " etc. aren't even a possibility for a near future release ? Quite a few titles in Question 2 I never heard of and some I heard of surprise me that they are on the list.

1592420366334.png

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I will say I've heard of most of the films in the 2nd group and actually have most of them on Bluray already. Interesting how many Twilight Time titles as on there.

OTOH there are several on that list that could easily fit into the SAT question
LOA is to Jerry Maguire as Jerry Maguire is to ( )

There are even several movies I really like on the list that really have little business in a CLASSICS Boxset.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I would not call any of the titles on that list obscure by any means (well, maybe The Last Dragon). They're almost all pretty famous and popular movies, and I've easily seen at least 80% of them at one time or another.

Of course, I suppose this could be a generational difference.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
There are a number of films on that list that I haven't seen, but I can't say that there are any that I haven't at least heard of.

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
HDR a crapshoot? Huh? As Robert said, home projectors with 1 exception, are not bright enough to do HDR justice.

OLEDs especially LG & Sony are.
Where's the crapshoot?

Everywhere - LG is different than Sony, etc, etc,. etc. See some of my older posts.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I’ve held off for a while, but will now, hesitatingly, put Mr. Harris on the proverbial spot. Unless I’ve encountered a search hiccup, Dr. Strangelove is the ONLY film from the Columbia Classics UHD set that he hasn’t written about. Given the unquestioned stature of the film, the exclusion strikes me as peculiar. I’m wondering if his objection to the disc is so strong, that he prefers to say nothing at all. Personally, I think it’s one of the weakest UHD releases to date. The rendering of grain (and it’s a particularly grainy film) is the single biggest problem, but overall, it’s not a significant upgrade from the Criterion BD.

My copy was viewed on an LG 65” OLED panel, and an OPPO UDP-205.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks