What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Moonraker -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Are the new 4k versions only available on iTunes? Would prefer to use VUDU.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks for the review with your thoughts. I appreciate it.

I believe golden gun and for your eyes only on should have new 4K masters.

Moonraker states it is 4K in the
Lowry credits. Spy and goldeneye had new mastering for blu ray. Not sure if both received new 4K scans.

13 months until Bond 25.

I hope there are some chances to see some of the older Bond films theatrically this year.

I don’t recall Lowry running 4k in 2004.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Another reason why Moonraker is the weakest of the Bonds, with too much cartoonish comedy and a plot with no grounding in any reality. The only good thing about it is the villain's line to his henchman, "Look after Mister Bond. See that some harm comes to him."

This thread got me to pop in the blu and revisist Moonraker but I couldn’t even finish it this time. One of the main reasons was Lois Chiles’ performance. It was like she didn’t even want to be there. Boredom oozed out of her pores. Not that it was a role you could do much with, but that’s all the more reason to bring some extra personality to the table.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Are the new 4k versions only available on iTunes? Would prefer to use VUDU.
Only on iTunes. With abundant extras too. The Vudu streams are HDX only with zero extras.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
This thread got me to pop in the blu and revisist Moonraker but I couldn’t even finish it this time. One of the main reasons was Lois Chiles’ performance. It was like she didn’t even want to be there. Boredom oozed out of her pores. Not that it was a role you could do much with, but that’s all the more reason to bring some extra personality to the table.
Aside from Jane Seymour, the women in the 70s Bonds were all pretty terrible. It couldn't have been that difficult to find someone who both looked good and could act.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Aside from Jane Seymour, the women in the 70s Bonds were all pretty terrible. It couldn't have been that difficult to find someone who both looked good and could act.

I like Britt Ekland and Jill St. John.
Barbara Bach was great too.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I like Britt Ekland and Jill St. John.
Barbara Bach was great too.
But think of who they could have had...

Jenny Agutter
Lesley-Anne Down
Julie Christie
Jacqueline Bisset
Kate Nelligan
Isabelle Adjani
Jessica Lange
Susan Sarandon
Charlotte Rampling
Ann-Margret
Faye Dunaway
Helen Mirren
Julie Newmar
Tuesday Weld
Ornella Muti
Catherine Deneuve

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
But think of who they could have had...

Jenny Agutter
Lesley-Anne Down
Julie Christie
Jacqueline Bisset
Kate Nelligan
Isabelle Adjani
Jessica Lange
Susan Sarandon
Charlotte Rampling
Ann-Margret
Faye Dunaway
Helen Mirren
Julie Newmar
Tuesday Weld
Ornella Muti
Catherine Deneuve

Maybe for Bond 25?

Newmar would’ve been in her 40s in the 70s??

I know that for spy they tried to get a big name but her price was much too high.

I agree on holly goodhead not being my favorite, but for the most part I like the 70s Bond girls.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think Newmar would have made a great Tiffany Case, and she'd have been around 37 at the time of filming, still younger than Connery.

They spent $14 million on Spy - they couldn't have anted up another $500 000? I wonder if the "big name" was Faye Dunaway. She was reportedly considered as far back as Thunderball, and as late as Octopussy. She would have been great as Octopussy.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I think Newmar would have made a great Tiffany Case, and she'd have been around 37 at the time of filming, still younger than Connery.

They spent $14 million on Spy - they couldn't have anted up another $500 000? I wonder if the "big name" was Faye Dunaway. She was reportedly considered as far back as Thunderball, and as late as Octopussy. She would have been great as Octopussy.

Dunaway was a bit older too. I honestly don’t know her films that well.

This discussion reminds me of the Bond 50 Blu Ray set ad with the “lesser known Bond girls”

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m really surprised you haven’t bought the 4K versions on iTunes Osato. What’s holding you back? You’re obviously a huge Bond fan and they were just all on sale.

Waiting for UHD discs that may never show up is a gamble don’t you think?
Picked all of them up in April 2020.
You seem to be right on the discs!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
This is the only Bond film I haven't had the opportunity to see in the cinema since about 1981. For some reason, it never seems to come around.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
This is the only Bond film I haven't had the opportunity to see in the cinema since about 1981. For some reason, it never seems to come around.
I’d love to see a reissue too.

All of the Bond films are being reissued in the UK again this year too.

I love the soundtrack for this film. It’s one that I go to often.

It’s been a while since I’ve watched the film too. I’m slowly going through the series with my older two boys. We just started the Roger Moore films.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Moonraker is a top 3 for me, watched it again recently and it holds up really well. Great cast and locations, and Michael Lonsdale makes a memorable megalomaniac villain. Ahead of its time with the Space Shuttle two years before its debut. Impatiently waiting for a 4k.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks