What's new

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I’m sticking w the Criterion. Not upgrading for any more gritty films only visually spectacular films. Which by the way where are they??

Like what’s next- The Detective in 4K?
I know whatcha mean, Noel. Gimme a shot at a Baraka or a Zhivago in the 4K/UHD format any day of the week. And yet, to my surprise, these “grittes” have yielded many great and unexpected payoffs, as well.

From all reviews read, Kino Lorber 4K discs are making their marks. I have the Criterion, but I’m all in for this one, too. In the Heat of the Night may seem gritty to some, but I think it’s one of the most beautifully shot films of Haskell Wexler’s career.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I know whatcha mean, Noel. Gimme a shot at a Baraka or a Zhivago in the 4K/UHD format any day of the week. And yet, to my great surprise, these “grittes” have yielded many great and unexpected payoffs, as well.

From all reviews read, Kino Lorber 4K discs are making their marks. I have the Criterion, but I’m all in for this one, too. In the Heat of the Night may seem gritty to some, but I think it’s one of the most beautifully shot films of Haskell Wexler’s career.
I agree PMF! I bought Some Like It Hot and love it and have the Criterion. But where are the visual spectacles like a Ben Hur, West Side Story 1961, Gigi, Barry Lyndon, Black Narcissus, etc? Dang I’d even go for a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at this point.
However it would be great for another great Poitier- To Sir With Love 4K from Kino to be released.
I will watch my Criterion first of ITHOTN then decide.

Reactions: PMF

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I agree PMF! I bought Some Like It Hot and love it and have the Criterion. But where are the visual spectacles like a Ben Hur, West Side Story 1961, Gigi, Barry Lyndon, Black Narcissus, etc? Dang I’d even go for a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at this point.
However it would be great for another great Poitier- To Sir With Love 4K from Kino to be released.
I will watch my Criterion first of ITHOTN then decide.
Well, Ben Hur, Gigi, and Barry Lyndon are all with Warner, and Kino doesn't have a deal with them. I expect that we'll eventually see Barry Lyndon on 4K from Warner. Meanwhile, Criterion has BD and DVD rights for Black Narcissus. I have no idea who they'd have to go to for the 4K rights, but they released The Red Shoes in 4K, so Black Narcissus from them is not out of the realm of possibility.

As for West Side Story...I guess they'd have to go to Amazon for 4K rights to that.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
It's only 23 bucks if you buy on the Kino website and they send it sooner. And you're supporting classic films on blu. And they do a great job.
“Send it sooner” hasn’t been my experience with Kino. I finally cancelled my order for Touch of Evil and The Apartment and ordered elsewhere. I have an order now that’s been “processing” since March 25.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I checked the Kino website and it says the sequel films are on a second disc. I see others in the thread have said the sequels are on a second disc as well. I thought from RAH’s review all three films were on one disc.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
“Send it sooner” hasn’t been my experience with Kino. I finally cancelled my order for Touch of Evil and The Apartment and ordered elsewhere. I have an order now that’s been “processing” since March 25.
It's been my experience. When I place an order with them, it typically ships within 2-3 days, then through the combination of UPS and USPS it usually takes 3-4 days to arrive. In the current sale, I placed an order on 4/5, it shipped on 4/8, and I got it on 4/13.

Perhaps your orders tend to have titles in them that are temporarily out of stock, and waiting for restock on them. When I've placed orders during sales -- where titles can go out of stock at a moment's notice -- I separate out the OOS titles, place the order for the in-stock titles so they get shipped Real Soon Now, and place a second order for the OOS titles. I usually have a large enough order that I can place two orders with free shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks