What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
True but even then there are certain films ,Gladiator being one, that I think the OP would find that it was money well spent since it not only has been done right but it is a great film. Not many of those out there IMO.
I like Gladiator, but it's not a great film to me. It's funny how this subjective thing called film appreciation works.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
True but even then there are certain films ,Gladiator being one, that I think the OP would find that it was money well spent since it not only has been done right but it is a great film. Not many of those out there IMO.
You'll be happy to know that the UHD of Gladiator will soon be in my possession. Thanks to a coincidental post by Robert Crawford pointing out a price drop in Mr. Harris's "A Few Words About... Gladiator & Braveheart in 4K" thread, I was able to order the title for $14.99 plus tax at Best Buy.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's very bothersome this is still happening on some UHD discs. Some things just never change.
It’s just one opinion Dave. Not saying he’s right or wrong. But I’ve heard nothing but good things about FG and I think it looks terrific. I own it.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Glad to hear it, I think you will enjoy it very much. As I said ,really two points that just stood out was the many different skin tones in the film I've never seen anything like it. The second is the great way HDR has been implemented.

Get back and tell us your thoughts.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Plenty of bad/mixed reviews around on the net.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Forrest-Gump-4K-Blu-ray/202137/
And negative comments from people who bought it.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=303398
There are positive ones too, of course. As I said, an uneven disc.

I am waiting to rent, hopefully that will be possible soon.

The increase in detail is often stunning:
https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?...967&d2=11966&s1=118130&s2=118105&l=0&i=0&go=1
https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?...967&d2=11966&s1=118121&s2=118098&l=0&i=8&go=1

but there are also a number of scenes with an almost complete absence of film grain and a reduction in textures:
https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?...967&d2=11966&s1=118122&s2=118099&l=0&i=7&go=1

So indeed very uneven, the color grading also seems quite different.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Plenty of bad/mixed reviews around on the net.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Forrest-Gump-4K-Blu-ray/202137/
And negative comments from people who bought it.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=303398
There are positive ones too, of course. As I said, an uneven disc.
Sorry Michael I don’t trust any reports from that site.

But I’m not doubting you. I just thought it looked great. I was too caught up
In the film to notice the issues you and Oliver mentioned.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
So indeed very uneven, the color grading also seems quite different.
I hate that when you see the potential and then they ruin it for a subset of shots for no valid reasons. Instead of letting you buy the final version of a film on consumer video you get strung along for yet another version that fixes some issues and creates new ones so only next time it will be what we want (or not). Sony is exemplary here for UHD releases concerning image quality. Once you buy for example "The Patriot" you know this is it and there is no need to buy it again because the image was not always up to snuff. There may be other reasons, of course (supplements, extended cuts...).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hate that when you see the potential and then they ruin it for a subset of shots for no valid reasons. Instead of letting you buy the final version of a film on consumer video you get strung along for yet another version that fixes some issues and creates new ones so only next time it will be what we want (or not). Sony is exemplary here for UHD releases concerning image quality. Once you buy for example "The Patriot" you know this is it and there is no need to buy it again because the image was not always up to snuff. There may be other reasons, of course (supplements, extended cuts...).
Well, this disc looked great to me for the most part so I doubt there will be another version that is released for this particular title as this isn't a Patton situation.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Well, this disc looked great to me for the most part so I doubt there will be another version that is released for this particular title as this isn't a Patton situation.

FG is very much mixed media. Doubtful that original prints were 4k, which necessities massaging the elements.

Viewers want 4k? With HDR?

You got it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
FG is very much mixed media. Doubtful that original prints were 4k, which necessities massaging the elements.

Viewers want 4k? With HDR?

You got it.
And most viewers are going to be happy with this release. It's quite simple, most people that view this disc are not going to view it through the critical eyes of RAH or Michel.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your "Forrest Gump" 4K... you'll know what to do.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
FORREST GUMP has a lot of "hidden" CGI shots, which were likely no more than 2K resolution, so I wonder if that's the reason for the "inconsistencies" we're seeing. The increase in detail in so many of the 4K screenshots is significant, so I don't see why they would use "selective DNR" on only some shots of the film for this release. More likely, those "degrained" shots were CGI and were possibly degrained way-back in 1994 during the original post-production.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks