What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Forrest Gump, directed by Robert Zemeckis in 1994, and which won a few awards, is a timeless, wonderful film, that beautifully stands the test of time.
Sooo…
When I began assessing the new 4k Blu-ray with HDR, I had to look at certain attributes multiple times, and I’m still scratching my head.
While it generally looks superb, there are certain instances, presumably involving HDR, when things just look a bit out of wack.
Which causes me to wonder, once again, if certain films should be re-visited with the process.
I’m thinking that this one might have been better off going without.
With that single query, which is in no way a call to alarm, Paramount’s new 4k is a viable addition to one’s home theater library.
Dolby Atmos is always a welcome addition.
Image – 4.2
Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)
Pass / Fail – Pass
Very Highly Recommended
RAH

51OWt74Wn8L._SL255_.jpg

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The iTunes digital copy is currently $9.99. I'm thinking I'll wait until it goes on sale and then buy just a digital copy in 4K to go with my current Blu-ray.

Studios are asking too much for catalog titles in 4K. I'm happy to double (triple, quadruple) dip for certain titles but only if the price is right. $17.99 (current price at Amazon) is too much. At $9.99 for 4K Blu-ray catalog titles I'm a buyer.

In the meantime, I'll wait for an iTunes sale.

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I got a feeling you'll be waiting a long time as I've seen very few 4K releases selling for $9.99. You might get lucky in late November. As to the current price at Amazon of $17.99, I wish all catalog titles were priced that low.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As to the current price at Amazon of $17.99, I wish all catalog titles were priced that low.

I'm with you, Robert. I have wanted Gladiator on UHD, and would bite at $18 - - but not at the $25 or more price it's going for. Same with some other titles. I haven't bought a UHD disc in awhile. Prices don't seem to be dropping much this time of year. Maybe around the holidays.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I understand we’d all like cheaper prices on discs, but these are 4K UHD discs not blu-rays.

It does cost money to do these transfers. If consumers are only willing to pay bargin bin prices for a premium format or settle for a 4k stream of the movie then look for fewer films to be released to 4K disc.

You will end up getting less than optimal looking 4K transfers, and say goodbye to Dolby Atmos audio upgrades.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I pre ordered Die Hard on UHD on Amazon for $24.99, it dropped before release to $19.99, and was available at Wal-Mart on release day for $17.99.

Ghost Protocol was $24.99 on release day at Amazon. Within a week it was down to $19.99.

And there are numerous other examples. So I don't think its completely fair to blame consumers unwillingness to pay more than $20 for a UHD since vendors are more or less conditioning is to do so.

I paid 28.99 for the matrix uhd (minus a barnes and noble coupon), and 27.99 for best buys pacific rim uprising uhd/3d combo.

So I am willing to pay for the fantastic product that is UHD blu ray. But just because I'm willing doesn't mean I'm going to if I'm fairly confident that if I wait a week or a month I can get it for less.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The iTunes digital copy is currently $9.99. I'm thinking I'll wait until it goes on sale and then buy just a digital copy in 4K to go with my current Blu-ray.
$9.99 is the sale price.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I understand we’d all like cheaper prices on discs, but these are 4K UHD discs not blu-rays.

It does cost money to do these transfers. If consumers are only willing to pay bargin bin prices for a premium format or settle for a 4k stream of the movie then look for fewer films to be released to 4K disc.

You will end up getting less than optimal looking 4K transfers, and say goodbye to Dolby Atmos audio upgrades.

However, some studios find a way to offer UHD discs for a lot less than others. Is it a lot cheaper for Lionsgate or Universal to create a 4K transfer and put it on a UHD disc than Disney or Warner? Those same 4K transfers can then be found on iTunes or Vudu for $10 quite often while they are still $25 or more on a UHD disc. Does the actual disc justify a 2.5 - 3 times price difference? Those same 4K transfers are downsized to 1080p and sold on BD for much less in many cases, too. Is the cost difference between pressing a BD and a UHD enough to justify that much higher price?

We all have our price limits for buying products. I have set mine at no more than $20 for a single film on a UHD disc, and have about 60 UHD titles on my shelves sticking to that limit -- my average cost is around $16 per UHD title. So why should I pay $25 - $30 for a title when it's been shown they can be offered for $15 - $20?

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I'm with you, Robert. I have wanted Gladiator on UHD, and would bite at $18 - - but not at the $25 or more price it's going for. Same with some other titles. I haven't bought a UHD disc in awhile. Prices don't seem to be dropping much this time of year. Maybe around the holidays.

With this is a film that I think you are really missing out, it is just gorgeous. The real improvement isn't just resolution but the bright daylight and shaded conversations etc are just so convincing looking. The gradations of color in skin from actor to actor is something I've yet to see better. What a great film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With this is a film that I think you are really missing out, it is just gorgeous. The real improvement isn't just resolution but the bright daylight and shaded conversations etc are just so convincing looking. The gradations of color in skin from actor to actor is something I've yet to see better. What a great film.
We missed out on a lot of things in life. We all have our own discretionary spending budgets, some larger than others. I will never criticize somebody else for showing spending restraints when it comes to their personal situation as I can only walk in my own shoes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's not $18, but it's $19.99 on Amazon now.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
$9.99 is the sale price.

Yeah, I figured that out after I posted. That’s too much for just a digital copy of an older catalog title I already own on Blu.

I’ll wait for the 4K Blu to fall below $10.

Mark

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah, I figured that out after I posted. That’s too much for just a digital copy of an older catalog title I already own on Blu.

I’ll wait for the 4K Blu to fall below $10.

Mark
Doubt that will ever happen. Has any major title been below $10?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Doubt that will ever happen. Has any major title been below $10?

No. $15 is the drop price for 99% of titles that have been out for a long time...unless it is WB, or Disney/Marvel. They hover around $20-$22.

Last edited:

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
We missed out on a lot of things in life. We all have our own discretionary spending budgets, some larger than others. I will never criticize somebody else for showing spending restraints when it comes to their personal situation as I can only walk in my own shoes.

True but even then there are certain films ,Gladiator being one, that I think the OP would find that it was money well spent since it not only has been done right but it is a great film. Not many of those out there IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks