What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Father of the Bride -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Warner Archive has released Vincente Minelli's 1950 Father of the Bride, and it's a gorgeous new Blu-ray.

I've not seen this film in years, but after viewing a good portion of it, I can tell you that it's delightful from the fade-in onward.

Bosley Crowther, in his 19 May 1950 review for the New York Times, noted the following about that opening:

"From the moment the picture opens, with Mr. Tracy slumped wearily in a chair amid all the litter and leavings of a played out wedding feast, one can sense that the M.-G.-M. craftsmen have got it off on the right foot, and from the moment he starts his peroration, you know he's the man for the job. There is recognizable back-break in that litter and there's a true edge to Mr. Tracy's voice. Here is the veritable image of the thoroughly squeezed father of the bride."

Another beautiful offering from Warner Archive, with beautiful
gray scale, shadow details, resolution, black levels, and grain structure to represent the work of John Alton. And great audio, with a bit of unexpected base in the music of Adolph Deutsch -- look him up.

Please support this very special Warner Archive release.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass/Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Isn't it the sequel, FATHER'S LITTLE DIVIDEND, that fell into murky PD status? I've never seen FATHER OF THE BRIDE anywhere other than from MGM/UA or Warner.

Last edited:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Yes, it's FATHER'S LITTLE DIVIDEND that did not have its copyright renewed along with a few other MGM titles from 1951. I've never been aware of an issue with FATHER OF THE BRIDE. Glad to know the Blu-ray is spectacular. Great movie!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I've never seen "Father of the Bride" released through anybody except WB - it's "Dividend" which has fallen into public domain territory. As always though, WA has come up with another winner. Happy to see this review. :)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I was fortunate enough to see Father of the Bride on the big screen at the Egyptian Theatre during the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival. It's great to see Warner release some more Elizabeth Taylor films on Blu! Can't wait to get this and Virginia Woolf (and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof when it's released).

15a27ac5a29b5899a6d638a23f877501.jpg

notmicro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark M
The E.T. feature that I'M panting for is The Taming of the Shrew (1967) which I suspect might look really spectacular if a source close to the OCN was available (not likely I suppose). It was shot in Panavision anamorphic.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
What is the official release date for this classy classic. I cannot find it anywhere?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
The E.T. feature that I'M panting for is The Taming of the Shrew (1967) which I suspect might look really spectacular if a source close to the OCN was available (not likely I suppose). It was shot in Panavision anamorphic.

9733277947_54e102544c_o.jpg

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that one as well! I'd love for Twilight Time to get it, along with Suddenly, Last Summer and Doctor Faustus, two other films ET did for Columbia.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Yup, this month from WAC is a definite one-two punch on the Liz Taylor side of life.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks