What's new

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I don’t yet own this film, but it’s certainly on my bucket list this year. Could the soft focus in the film exist because filters were used? It was an annoying technique used in the 50s and 60s whenever the camera focused solely on the females. Look no further than “Johnny Guitar” for an example. The image goes from crystal clear on Sterling Hayden, to almost blurry in the next shot on Joan Crawford

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I have not personally seen this new release but it sounds like you’re describing long dupe opticals that were cut in for fades, dissolves etc.

Not fixable and have looked that way since day one.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
From my pov they weren't using "glamour" photography much at all in this movie. Eleanor Parker looks wonderful in the film. And yes, there are also the issues with dissolves, etc. But what I think I'm seeing is something else in terms of the variable quality of the pq. Again, most of the movie looks great. But there are some shots sprinkled here and there that are less than great from my pov. It's a small percentage of the whole movie. Overall the pq is very good. In any case, I think Escape from Fort Bravo is a very good movie, and in fact makes my top ten for 1953, which at the moment looks something like this....

War of the Worlds
The Robe
The Big Heat
Tokyo Story
The Band Wagon
I Confess
Shane
The Naked Spur
Escape From Fort Bravo
Niagara

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Watching the Blu-ray now. The TCM broadcast is only mono, cropped, and color is not right compared to the Blu-ray which has stereo sound.

Sorry, my old iPhone does not take very good pictures.

TCM
IMG_2090.JPG

Blu-ray
IMG_2092.JPG

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
This blu ray is my first viewing of this film and my opinion isn't as favourable as other members. It should really have been called 'Here comes the cavalry' since the ending was telegraphed so far in advance, and such a clichéd ending must have been ancient in 1953!

The image on the blu ray is OK, but quite soft in places (often from shot to shot).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This blu ray is my first viewing of this film and my opinion isn't as favourable as other members. It should really have been called 'Here comes the cavalry' since the ending was telegraphed so far in advance, and such a clichéd ending must have been ancient in 1953!

The image on the blu ray is OK, but quite soft in places (often from shot to shot).
As to your film opinion, I won’t debate it because you’re welcome to your opinion. Regarding the video presentation, since this is your first time you watched this movie, you don’t have any historical knowledge as to how bad this movie looked in prior home video formats. Trust me, it’s that significant of a difference as it pertains to improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks